Quest ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Quest ideas

Post by Megatron »

Instead of just fed-exing around items and stuff, post your quest ideas here

Assasination:You get the job to go and kill someone

Swat type mission:mabye in some towns someone has took a hostage or planted a bomb or something, so you have to run in and sort it out.

Poker:Mabye you get to play soem kind of card game where you have to use your gambling and speech skill?

Repair:you have to repair stuff...might use in conjunction with the fed ex type stuff

Wrestling tournament:A wrestling tournament has started in the wasteland. In ever town there is a wrestling ring, where you fight unarmed another wrestler until one of you dies. You get better known in some places for being a good wrestler, sometime peoples reaction will go down when they first meet you, you get money at the end of a match plus it's fun to just fight somebody unarmed for a while.

Twighlight zone:In every town, something weird has happened, like a guy who is invincible or people are being abducted by mysterious bug men. So you have to go around and solve them (e.g the invincible guy is actually an animatronic man made of rubber and power armour, so you offer to kill him by stabbing him with a hot needle in the ear and frying his circuits)
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

sounds like recycled ideas to me.

taking stuff around the place and doing errands sounds like the scout mission from VC to NCR.

Assasination - New Reno, bishop wants Westin dead.

Swat - Fallout 1, raiders take tandi hostage.

poker - doesnt sound like much fun if you havent any gambling skill. you could gamble for some items in fo2

repair - in broken hills you repair the ventilation system

wrestling - new reno boxing ring and san fran martial arts fight.

mysterious goings on - the cult in fallout 1. the lights in the sky in fallout 2. the bugmen/dentons in klamath. Enclave agent horrigan killing people in the wastes. ghost farm in modoc. V13 people kidnapped.

the quests in fallout 3 should not give me a sense of "i've dont this before... this is boring" approaching the same objectives in a different way would be more fun.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I liked some of the quets though (boxing, assasinating)

Just a bit more intresting that getting a crappy necklace or something. And besides, those are one-off quests. I missed half of them the first time I played. And it actually forces you to think instead of clicking around until you get the item and win the special bonus level! yay! Like when you had to assasinate westin, I had to ask around and find out information then finally pull it off. Same with that thievery quest in fallout 1 where you had to steal that...thing (forgot)

You suggest some.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

i never said they were bad. i said they were recycled ideas. I'd like new ideas of quests as well as old ones. keep me interested.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

FireWolf wrote:Swat - Fallout 1, raiders take tandi hostage.
I was also thinking about the power plant in NCR. Basically the same category.

Something that would have been interesting in FO2 would have been to double-cross Thomas Moore in VC. You could have been able to have an NPC open the briefcase and then reseal it (or if you had high enough Lock Pick and Repair skills you might have been able to do it yourself). You would then have had the option to either simply take a gander at what's inside, or perhaps pander it off to another interested party. If you chose the latter option Moore could have been killed off by Bishop thinking that he had double-crossed him (which could have had some consequence for VC) or he would kill you if you couldn't convince him you had nothing to do w/it.

Having played the old Gold Box AD&D game Pool of Radiance I searched high and low for someone to open that briefcase for me, just like you could do w/Porphyris Cadorna's box that you recovered in the Textile House. No dice, though.

Basically, if you're talking "quests" for FO what makes FO FO is that you can approach them differently and have the option to double-cross people, ask for money or not, or to try and gouge them, or whatever. Other than that it isn't what you're doing, but rather how you do it.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

very true. quests shouldnt really have a single way of completeing them. for example: in NCR when you had to assasinate westin you could either poison him or shoot the hell out of him. to get into the ranch you could go in guns blazing or go in on seemingly good terms.

same with the v15 quest. if you wanted you could bypass most of the raiders by blagging your way past them.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Every quest should have a good way to complete it, an evil way to complete it and a neutral way to complete it. You should be able to talk your way out of many quests, kill 'em all, or sneak past/steal. And a quest shouldn't feel useless/unrewarding to you. Those elements are required in a well done quest.
Our Host!