lasers and... well... laser stuff

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

lasers and... well... laser stuff

Post by War Bringer »

i've been trying to set up trip wires in the past by useing the laser walls from the robot tiles and making them etherial. unfortunently, the tiles distort when you walk through them and it just all looks generic.

so now i've been playing around with the lights (not really) but haven't come up with anything there. question to the folks that posted the intensity string and other light stuff a while back -

is it possible to make a laser using a light entity. i tried using a red light with the arc option clicked and set the are to 2 degrees. i also set the high bound and low bound one number apart from each other. it doesn't look at all like a laser, but i'm thinking all i'm missing is a higher/stronger intensity.

can you guys try it out and tell me what happens? thanks.

galavan (damn, i haven't signed that for a while...)
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It should be easy to make a sprite like a laser, it's basically a bright line. Not sure how you could make it work like a trip wire though.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Just make a very thin Zone surround the laser then use the Quantity Alive condition to make stuff happen when the PCs/whoever you want are in the Zone, and therefore, "tripped" the laser.

As far as making the actual laser graphic: If you don't put anything in the "intensity string" field of the light entity, the game takes that as 100% power. As far as I know, there's no way to go over 100% power, since the field uses letters and not numbers (hence intensity string).

That said, you could make a/some tiles (via Red's awsome program) using the laser sprite (the red beam that shoots out of the laser rifle and laser pistol). Shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway, after you have that done, just use light entities to make it look real, flag the laser tiles Ethereal, make the Zone, and you're set.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

what i'm looking for is a laser that you could walk through. i was planning to use zones as triggers. unfortunantly, making a tile etherial just makes it look generic when you walk through it. - well, actually, i'm not really sure. the tile i used was the laser wall from the robot folder.
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

What do you mean "look generic?" And I'm talking about making a tile from the red weapon laser sprite, not those blue laser doors.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I think it would be easier to do a new sprite from scratch, than using the weapon one, in which case it would be rather difficult to color it the way you want. I tried coloring for new bem weapons and I can tell you, it's not an easy task.
Our Host!