From Russia, with love (Or: Fallout in the good old CCCP!)

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Shards
SDF!
SDF!

From Russia, with love (Or: Fallout in the good old CCCP!)

Post by Shards »

How about Fallout 3 - but in the USSR?

You would keep the 50's atmosphere, but it would be from the other side of the iron curtain. Uncle Sam would be replaced with Stalin and Lenin, and communist propaganda would abound. This would allow whoever made Fallout 3 free rein to make a world without the limitations imposed by Fallout 1 & 2. This option would also be much, much more viable then most other ideas, and could stay true to the 1950's retro theme of Fallout 1. Imagine traveling from the decaying streets of Stalingrad to the icy Siberian wastes, to Star City, the cosmonaut training center!

They could then use the Beatles "Back in the USSR" for the opening FMV - and who wouldn't love that?
Grand Lord Penguin
Respected
Respected
Location: The secret underground lair- er, dojo of the Penguin style Kung-Fu

Post by Grand Lord Penguin »

Well, considering ALL the mutant creatures (radscropions, deathclaws, floaters, ghouls, super mutants, etc.) are created by FEV, and FEV was only created in the US, not to mention that the Vaults are in the US.

So I give your idea a hearty NO.
Black Mage: She better have an antidote for FACE STABBIN'! 'Cause, ooh, her face is so stabbed when we get back!
Shards
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shards »

And you think the USSR would not have installed a system of Vault-like fallout shelters, or perhaps even coerced defected Vault-Tec scientists into making full-fleged copies of the Vaults?

And as for FEV only being in the US.... that is laughable - it was developed as a bio-weapon, and was accidently released in the US. It was made for deployment in other nations. <-- My bad there, I guess I need to re-play FO1 again.

Anyway, FEV could have easily traveled from the US to other nations, bio-weapons (or anti-bio-weapons, if you like) don't declare themselves to customs officials.
Last edited by Shards on Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Wrong- FEV was not developed as a bioweapon. It was developed as a counter to bioweapons and was always researched for use for the benefit of the USA (I can't think of the proper wording at the moment), not as a weapon against the Chinese. It was never (Until FO2, I guess) intended as a weapon.
Softwisper
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Softwisper »

If i remember right...
Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV) was suppost to be used on the American soldiers to make them stronger and better. (in FO read all the little holodisks they are quite amusing)

The War hit the FEV was mutated by radation. The first super mutant to gall into it (the end guy FO1) will bore you to tears with his story if you let him. (actually it is alot of fun if your intrested in seeing the different endings) Send a Char with high charisma to him and or get captured by the mutant in the ghoul city and get taken right to him. Keep encouraging him to prattle on and he will eventually decsribe how FEV was supposed to be used to make super soldiers. So no it wasen't suppost to be used as a Biowepon.

Also In FO2 the enclave was using a mutated strain of FEV and testing it on some of the people in the wastelands (eg your village elder) That was intended to be a Biowepon, If you talked to the Scientest at the end (in the room by the presedent) you can convince him to innoculate the villagers and other prisioners and release the mutated FEV into the oil platform complex and kill most everyone. Saves on alot of ammo =o)

But otherwise it is an intresting idea

Or you could come to canada and we can fire supersoakers at you =o)
I am ready to meet my maker. I only hope he is up for the ordeal.

In life 2 things are garenteed, Death and taxs. You spend your whole life paying one and saving for the other.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Right, the FEV was basically a "Super Soldier" type program. It was created to make American forces smarter and stronger than Chinese forces. The Power Armor was also developed in the same facility, aka West Tek, so it makes sense that they're both towards the same goal - better soldiers.

As for the USSR, Chris Taylor has said that Russia was most likely part of China, at least the Asian part. We annexed Canada, China did the same with countries near it.
------------------
MF
Respected
Respected

Post by MF »

Yes. The USSR doesn't even exist as the large red Soviet Union.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I think Fallout would lose some of its edge if it's set outside USA. Why change a good and working setting?
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

personally i dont think that way , for fallout to evolve in to a better game
i think it should take place in another location .
In that way the main plot could be a lot more easy and the story itself would not repeat itself ( much what happened in f2 )
As for the location being Russia , i think it´s a great idea , new climate ,
the persons have other mentality , a lot of old russian bases to explore
new cool armors and other innovating things , as for the language plain simple english ... ( hollywood already maked a series of historical films set in other countries and the characters speak english most of the times
i don´t know what´s the problem ... )
Fallout 1 and 2 were great rpg games , but if we want to have a good sequel we cant just depend on the stuff that defined the first 2 , the game
should evolve , maybe changing to another location and other things as well .
Follower
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Follower »

You know, I like your idea. Everybody think about America in couple with Russia. Where is goody USA without bad russian communists :D ? Well, part of terrible China can be taken too - Russia is conquered by China. 8O Sad news :cry: ...
And I like idea that communism will appear again. This is the spirit of 50. You are right!

If I remember correctly, FEV was developed as imrpovment for american soldiers, but "good" governmental boys changed it to bioweapon. This stuff could be stolen by mad scientists and recreated in Asia or Russia. There are a lot of vaults, mines, bunkers and underground bases even now. So I don't think it will be a problem to survive there. Only one question remains. Why will people to talk English there?
World of FO is coming... too fast for my liking
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I fear a Fallout set in Russia would be too different from previous fallouts. It'd be a big step to jump into another country with it's own different story and plot. Maybe something for modders though.

It's hard to imagine a desert wasteland in Russia. And the different russian locations, unkown to most of non-russians, would be far from the ones we used to in Fallout 1 & 2. The snow missions in FO:T reminded me enough of Siberia, which there is enough of in PC games. No, FO3 in Russia would be too different from the originals. We need not another spin-off.
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

VasikkA wrote :
And the different russian locations, unkown to most of non-russians
How about the american locations unknown to most of non americans =\
I mean the game will be played by bunch of players that are from diferent
countries , Russia or America are olny a part , so the point that the russians locations is unknown to most non - russians is no satisfatory problem to the location of fallout 3 , at least its for me it isn´t
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

why not have fallout in jamaica instead, so then you keep getting stoned by a big pot cloud overhead, and you wander off and have sex with a mutated octopus, then wake up days later totally naked and your dick stuck in a beer bottle!

or why not have fallout on the moon, and liek some aliens have landed so you have to use this magical sword to kill the eveil alien zombies?!

or why not have fallout slowly like go in the dark ages, and they build castels and stuff and you have tosay 'Hail caeser' because your stupid!

or why not have fallout in alaska, so you can just pick up a minigun outside your igloo and then go to america and kill the resurected frank horrigan and use bullet-time!

or why just re-name the game crappy piece of shit based in russia, then have a guy run round russia with a mini-gun, shooting nothing at all?

sounds good to me! I should go and work for interplay, huh?
Nirvana
Regular
Regular

Post by Nirvana »

What an excelent explanation Pyro thanks a lot , with a lot of good arguments :roll:
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Pyro wrote:sounds good to me! I should go and work for interplay, huh?
They wouldn't hire you, you've just exposed their 5 top ideas for Fallout 3 to the public :wink:

Shards wrote:They could then use the Beatles "Back in the USSR" for the opening FMV - and who wouldn't love that?
I wouldn't.
Shards
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shards »

It's hard to imagine a desert wasteland in Russia.
\

Umm... Russia is in about the same longitudes as the US, and the climate isn't that different. You are thinking of Sibera (which actually extends down pretty far south), and that is like saying you couldn't image any desert wastelands in the US, because Alaska is damn cold.
And the different russian locations, unkown to most of non-russians...
And most people are familer with Redding, California? Or Bakersfield? (Necropolis) The only recognizable location in Fallout were LA, and San Francisco. And if you know of them, you know Moscow and Leningrad as well.

Anyway, can any of you come up with a Fallout setting outside the US that would offer as much as Russia would?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I think we are talking about personal opinions here, no point arguing which would be a better location. If BIS can make a fallout in Russia an enjoyable game, that's fine to me. :)

And about those locations, I meant to say I'd like to see some familiar locations from the fallout universe rather than playing in a completely new country. There were some locations from Fallout in Fallout 2: V13, V15, NCR(shady sands), military base... deja vu, anyone?
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

A)- The frontier setting would not work in Russia.
B) Wastelands would be diffirent
C) The U.S was at war with China- Not Russia in FO
D) Fallout is heading towards the idea that FEV is the only way a non plant can survive in the wasteland. So what would you be, a human plant?
E) Power Armor. 'Nuff said
F) The game will be set from Washington to Mexico City. Once again, 'nuff said.
Shards
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shards »

Constipated BladeRunner wrote:D) Fallout is heading towards the idea that FEV is the only way a non plant can survive in the wasteland. So what would you be, a human plant?
E) Power Armor. 'Nuff said
F) The game will be set from Washington to Mexico City. Once again, 'nuff said.
No offense BR, but none of those make any sense.

And your right, if you like the location is a matter of opinion... I was just arguing the point that Fallout in Russia would be feasible, and that it wouldn't take much to "export" Fallout there.
tux
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by tux »

I did not bother to read any of the posts, but the idea of staging F3 in the motherland (FYR: I'm russian), suggested by many (including me) sounds exellent, no matter what your puny arguments are. The fact that you are not familiar with russian conspiracy theories does not make them any less interesting. Do you know they were testing gigantic assault/transport hovercraft at baikonur (that one is a fact actually) and there were about 100 times as may launches in a week than were announced in a month (also a fact)?
Our Host!