FOT fails at install

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

FOT fails at install

Post by Zibeon »

Hi,

I was looking around here and with the use of google to solve, this problem, I came across one thread, but no one had answered in over a year.

Basicly when I pop the FOT disk in and try to install it, nothing happens.
It starts the Setup.exe (as seen in task manager) but nothing happens.

I have also copied the contents of the cd onto my hdd and set the setup.exe compatible to win 95, nt, 98 etc and still get the same issue.

This is from two sources, an iso mounted on daemon tools and a fresh copy just bought.

This is an AMD machine on XP.

Thanks
:?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Maybe you have a software conflict? I can't remember if FOT had any copyprotection, but a lot of times if you have a drive emulator, like virtual daemon or power iso, running, the cd won't play.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

Yeah, I tried unmounting when using the official CD, but still no show. I personally think the cd drive may be alittle dodgy. Is there anyway to install it manualy?
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

If you're having a problem with both the ISO and with the CD, I'd say it's not to do with the drive.

I remember having the same issue a while back with many applications, mostly with setup exe files.

I tried everything, till one day I ended a process in the task manager, and everything worked fine.

How fresh is your XP install? Have anti-virus software? That was my issue.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Norton caused issues with FOT for me. Not install issues mind you, but issues none the less.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
SearchingForFriends
Respected
Respected

Re: FOT fails at install

Post by SearchingForFriends »

Zibeon wrote:Basicly when I pop the FOT disk in and try to install it, nothing happens.
i can solace you.
Fallout:Tactics is not a good game. B)

hope you enjoy playing.
Nominar karous Rageia.
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

I don't care if FOT is the worsed game ever made, I would like to play it.

Right anyway, No this happened on two different machines, this one is intel P4 and both are running XP, SP2 latest updates.

antivirus: Avira
Firewall: Kerio

I have never come across this before, Might it be a problem with the windows installer? (seen as you have to update that countless times, and we understand how *good* microsoft is)

This is really getting annoying. :anger:

Is there no way to install this manualy, such as FO1
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

Ah, ffs, I just saw that the data.cabs and user.cabs are 0 kbs in size.

Must be a crappy disk, great :anger:

I will have to go FUBAR :eyebrow:
Last edited by Zibeon on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Yor disk is pooched my friend. Get a new one.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

you have angered the gods of computation. sacrifice windows install cd with startup booklet in fire with 3 motherboards. usually helps.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

Right.

Well, that disk was messed up as I said,

So I downloaded an iso :joy:

But nor did that work :chainsaw:

still pops up the autorun launcher, but as I try to install it loads up the Setup.exe but does nothing more.

I also found another FOT cd by chance, tried that. And something DID happen.

This:

I assume that is a graphical error (as most hex errors are), But seen as I have had FOT once before and havn't changed my Card, other than Updating the Drivers (ATi, 128 9600 xt) and XP.

Anyone having the same problem or had, Any Idea how I could fix this?
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Post by Baby arm's evil twin »

Have you tried replacing your video card drivers with the original ones (assuming you still have the disk that came with the card).
:hug:
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

Well, these are the latest CCC Ati Drivers, I will try my very...very old Drivers which came with them. I was thinking I could try using Omega Drivers.

But Idk, b/c my friend has exactly the same issue and and he hasn't upgraded his card, it's a 64mb 9000 ( :hahano: )

And it did *once* work for him, although he did change the CPU... :aiee:

Personally I think it's XP's latest Windows Installer version 3 update which is fuxing everything up. Sen as thats the only thing which has really changes after the last install. I have a fresh XP on another hdd (should really get linux up), I will also have ago on that. =(
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

Well, I just tried it on my fresh SP1 windows, with the latest Ati Drivers, with Windows installer v3 and .NET framework 2.0, and it worked.

Which means it's not the Ati drivers, which I was kinda hoping it was. (easily fixed).

But now back to square one, not knowing what is causing the installation error. I do believe it must have something to do with another update by windows after SP2 was installed (As it worked for my Friend on SP2).

Thing is i have no idea why it's doing this, I never had issues before. Ah well. If I ever do remedy it I will post about it, and how to solve it.

If you know anything please tell...I am past annoyed, just sad :bored:

I'm currently investigating into the 0xc0000006 error, and finding some intriguing stuff.

-
Hi,
Do you have Visual Basic Runtime file name "msvbvm60.dll" with the lastest
service pack. You will need this file to run the setup file. The latest
service pack is Visual Studio Service Pack 6.0. Download the Visual Basic
6.0 SP6 run-time files from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;290887, execute the
exe file named VBRun60sp6.exe, which will install the required run time
files.

For more information check out this link :
http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/princeofpers ... 17501.html
http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/princeofpers ... 86702.html

Also, you will need DirectX 9.0c to run this game, check whether you have
it or not. For this click on Start, Run and type dxdiag and click on OK. If
you have earlier version of DirectX then install the latest version of
DirectX from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/direct ... s/directx/
downloads/default.htm, you can also install it from Chip CD or Digit DVD.

Thanks ...
-
Services.exe is an Application used only in Windows NT4/2000/XP for starting, stopping, and interacting with system services. To resolve the issue, reinstall the operating system.

(NOTE: This is really called an “in-place upgrade� and should only have the effect of repairing the current installation.)

Refer to the link for more details:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
I will try disabling the services using "msconfig" in run...see if that works
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Post by Baby arm's evil twin »

You may have better luck finding help here.
:hug:
Zibeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zibeon »

HAHA, It was fuxing Kerio Firewall, I ended it and it worked!, omg right in my face and I didn't see it.

You may want to add that to one of the tech stickes, just so people can get this fixed, haha, I am so damn annoyed and laughing at myself.

Anywho thanks for all the help.

and to think I was going to effectivley re-install windows for a fallout game.

PS: I would have to say that Fallout 1 and 2 are the best RPG games ever made, and thats not b/c I'm a fan. Thats just the facts.
Scorpion
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Scorpion »

Zibeon wrote:HAHA, It was fuxing Kerio Firewall, I ended it and it worked!, omg right in my face and I didn't see it.

You may want to add that to one of the tech stickes, just so people can get this fixed, haha, I am so damn annoyed and laughing at myself.

Anywho thanks for all the help.

and to think I was going to effectivley re-install windows for a fallout game.

PS: I would have to say that Fallout 1 and 2 are the best RPG games ever made, and thats not b/c I'm a fan. Thats just the facts.
After all that trouble you went through to get Fallout: Tactics (A rather enjoyable game, if I do say so myself, mind the people here who say it's horrible when it's not..) working, I would be a fan myself. Happy playing, and remember to download the patches for FOT if you need them.

:joy: Fallout is the greatest RPG ever.
DAC- For all your fallout needs.

^ No, it's not for all your fallout needs. I think this site attracts more swell guy, shitheads, losers, and thread-hijackers than it does Fallout fans. This site should be renamed the Steamy pile of Horse shit or aka SPHS- For all your not-Fallout needs.
Twilightringwraith
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Twilightringwraith »

I know that this post is ungodly old, but just incase someone comes across is (like I did) I'd like to share a bit more information.

AVAST! antivirus can interfere with your installation of Tactics. You MUST uninstall Avast! in order to install Tactics. Simply turning off the protection will not work. You must also restart your computer afterwards. If you still cannot get to the real setup, email me at ringwraith_1992@hotmail.com and tell me what program you think is interfering, I will try and make sure before you go uninstalling everything.

Thank you everyone for showing me it could be another program interferring.

Best of luck to you.
<i>The voice... The voice that tells you right from wrong... And why you should do wrong anyway... That voice in your head... Is me. </i>
Our Host!