Insanity from our new Blood Brothers

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Insanity from our new Blood Brothers

Post by Redeye »

Found a link on TGQ: Dwarf Fortress.

Especially good for those who like nethack and civ.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Rather stale. But faintly delightful and promising, nonetheless. :drunk:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

The point was to take back some booty from the raid.

to finance the next expedition!
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

You're a veritable astronaut of the fourth age, I.

And by that, I mean <deleted>. :drunk:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Have we entered the fourth age, already?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

'blood brothers' was a very well-written, tongue-in-cheek set of 13 hallowe'en-themed call of cthulhu adventures. i played a few of them with my group back in the day... good times.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Been playing Dwarf Fortress on and off for a while. The current version is a bit plain, but the game has great potential. Definitely a project to keep an eye on.

Blood Brothers is also a mediocre novel by Brian Lumley. :representin:
mikesukat
SDF!
SDF!

Colonization

Post by mikesukat »

I've found this download site for old Colonization game:
Colonization download
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

1. who are you dear alt
2. it says amiga
3. why would I play colonization if I have plenty of civilisation
Vampire
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vampire »

GIVE ME YOUR AORTA!
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Vampire wrote:GIVE ME YOUR AORTA!
Somebody did a search on "blood".
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I'm a child of the era of eye candy, but I just can't force myself to enjoy games with ASCII "graphics". The idea and the features sound awesome, though.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Kashluk wrote:I'm a child of the era of eye candy, but I just can't force myself to enjoy games with ASCII "graphics". The idea and the features sound awesome, though.
OMFG OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Kashluk wrote:I'm a child of the era of eye candy, but I just can't force myself to enjoy games with ASCII "graphics". The idea and the features sound awesome, though.
Eventually someone will graft a GUI front end onto DF.

Some outtakes from an ongoing DF campaign:

"...Many people have built complicated moat systems, of both water and magma. Some have even combined the two to create scorching clouds of steam to broil their enemies!
...Adventure mode, at least, is easy to appreciate. You learn this the first time you beat a minotaur to death with a unicorn corpse, or engage in an elaborate wrestling contest with a wild panther ...
...Well, I had a pathetic little encounter today.

A giant rat sprang up on my chasm bridge. This isn't normally so bad because I've got traps surrounding the chasm and there's usually a ton of dogs running around. Only this time, no dogs were around at all. And for some reason a peasant and a fisherdwarf decided to stick around and duke it out with the Giant Rat, rather than, say, running the hell away.

So, two dwarfs versus one Giant Rat, should be fairly easy, right? Especially since the first part of the battle featured them careening off the bridge and into the start of a corridor, causing a stone-fall trap to smash into the rat, dealing massive injuries, enough so that it would lapse in and out of conciousness for the rest of its (hopefully quite short) life.

The fisherdwarf and the peasant moved in on the crippled rat, raining feeble blows upon it and doing absolutely nothing at all. That is, until the rat briefly regained conciousness and bit the peasant's hand off. Going straight into "over-exerted", the peasant stood there shrieking and waving his arm around, the blood splattering the door behind him.

The fisherdwarf, now basically on his own, who had proven himself utterly incapable of producing anything other than light wounds on the rat, was lucky that the rat was mainly unconcious, as he was only ocassionally bitten, and that for small amounts of damage. However, the longer the stalemate continued, the more likely it would be that he would wind up like his handless friend. The slapfight raged on and on, completely shutting down that section of the fortress as dwarfs shrieked in terror and ran, dropping whatever they might have been carrying. Soon the area around the "melee" was empty except for scattered items and the fort was filled with sounds of whimpering dwarves, hiding under tables and fervently hoping that somebody would deal with that fearsome unconcious rat.

Luckily at this point a wandering cat came by and evsicerated the twitching rat with a single blow, leaving the peasant to be dragged off to recover in his bedroom and the fisherdwarf to stagger back to rock-hauling duty.

And where was the Captain of the Guard and the Fortress Guards, who are nominally supposed to defend my fortress? Well, during the entire epic battle of ineptitude, they were hanging out in the nearby dining room, having a party.

"What's that screaming in the hallway?"

"Who cares, dude, it's time to par-TAY! Besides, the cats will take care of it."...

...Oh god.

Well, I was almost done with my magma channel and had my drawbridges set up and I was basically on the verge of having acceptable defenses, when the goblins began siege no. 2.

They decided to show up at the exact same time as the human caravan, which is both hilarious and probably the end for my fort. Hilarious, because that meant that the goblins were pretty much completely wiped out by the caravan guards, leaving me to clean up.

And it means my doom because the humans will blame me for the caravan's destruction, which means I will probably be sieged by humans as well as goblins.

So, I decided to drop the bridges and let the dwarves go out and collect the bodies/goodies. This is when I noticed the large group of Trolls and the second group of goblins streaming across the bridge over the outside river.

Facing a moral crisis, I raised the drawbridges again, abandoning the dwarves who had scurried outside. I had made enough ballista ammo that there was some covering siege engine fire and in desperation, I drafted all the outside dwarves into the military on the hope that it would make some kind of difference.

Thankfully, my small horde of press-ganged dwarves managed, along with some suprisingly effective ballista shots, to take out the trolls and remaining goblins, causing a rout before the trolls could destroy my trade depo or the bridges.

Now the outside is littered with corpses, body parts and the remains of the human caravan. Everything is being hauled to its respective storerooms and I'm left hoping that I can actually get my steam generator defense system working before the humans decide to descend upon me. That is, if my insane little charges don't all decide to go buck-wild and tear the fortress apart from the inside-out.

Final death toll: all the humans except for their "Trade Baroness", who was inside negotiating terms for trade during the battle and is currently picking her way down a road scattered with the burning wagons and mangled corpses of her caravan; about 15 dwarves, it's hard to tell because I had a wave of immigrants shortly before the invasion, which is actually kind of handy because now I have some spare bedrooms.

"

Actually, if you can deal with Nethack you can probably deal with this.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

Disregard post.
Last edited by minigunwielder on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

minigunwielder wrote:I picked it up, and it seems so awesome, but how do I enable
"New Graphics Mode" or whatever it is that allows you to use custom sprites, I DLed a pack to make the characters into rudimentary sprites, but it does not work, please help.

EDIT:It works now, but uh.. how do I scroll links?

Or reduce/increase number of stuff in selecting your starting equipment.
+/- does not work.
EDIT2:
What do you mean by campaign Redeye?
Campaign= 1 try at running a fort.

There are DF threads available at The GamersQuarter and the main forums at theDF site.

Dwarf Fortress Wiki

I can't find the Penny Arcade "Epic Dwarf Fortress Thread".
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

I need to know how to mine, my guys can't seem to do it for whatever strange reason.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

Damn, sorry for thread necromancy, but I need to know how to install DQantas and Lumin on the same game because it crashes mine(latest version)
Our Host!