Tim Cain Talks Fallout

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Is it not... "sequel"?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:It doesn't matter what Bethesda produces, all of the Oblivion fans will buy it, whether they like it or not.
I just hope they can pull something other than an action RPG out of their hat. There's enough of those as it is. >.<
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

After playing ( HO HO HO ) Oblivion, I sure have high hopes for Fallout 3 being an awesome open-ended experience ( OH MAN I'M KILLING MYSELF HERE ). Bethesda obviously has good people working there ( as in, the janitor and his helper ), so I don't want to insult them ( but can't help myself ) by offering any ( good ) advice ( that they still wouldn't have the brains to follow ). I just want to play the game like any other fan ( engulfed in rage ), which means I will be surprised and delighted by the plot twists and turns ( in the half-assed development, that on release will come in plain view ) and also that I reserve the right to complain about any deviation from the Fallout canon. ( seeing as I, as anyone, expect you'll do a lousy job. )
What a man. What a patriot. :salute:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PaladinHeart wrote:Hopefully Bethesda will come up with a Fallout 3 that will please both old school Fallout fans AND attract new people to it.

You may not care about the mainstream market, but they have to. I don't believe they would be happy if the only people who buy the game are the original fans of the series. That wouldn't be enough money in today's market would it?
You're forgetting the fact that games are sold with expectations and not with actual content. With a decent hype machinery and press relations, the developer has more room for creativity and using more unusual concepts. On a separate note, I don't think the game mechanics in original Fallout have gotten too complex for modern gamers. Instead, they could be modernized instead of streamlining.

Oh, but didn't we have this same conversation 10 months ago? :?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

VasikkA wrote: You're forgetting the fact that games are sold with expectations and not with actual content. With a decent hype machinery and press relations, the developer has more room for creativity and using more unusual concepts. On a separate note, I don't think the game mechanics in original Fallout have gotten too complex for modern gamers. Instead, they could be modernized instead of streamlining.
I know what you mean. Games are streamlined way too often to make them more appealing when old methods worked just fine.

Basically, I don't want a game that plays like Nox/NWN/Dungeon Siege/Diablo2/Any Other Modern Isometric 3D Real Time Modern Day Garbage

I was saying that they have to appeal to the mainstream, but I've changed my mind. If they design it to sell to the mainstream then they don't need the Fallout name for that. They could make up their own name for something. Fallout should remain true to the series... If they just make some flashy coaster to make $$$ then they are playing with fire. It would just be FO:BOS all over again. And I DO believe it did not sell well due to the influence of Fallout fans writing bad reviews etc...
VasikkA wrote:Oh, but didn't we have this same conversation 10 months ago? :?
Is there possibly anything about Fallout 3 that someone, somewhere, has not already discussed about 10 times already? xD

Or were you referring to my discussions in the FO3 forums from back when?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Mr. Teatime wrote:.../ As for them talking to obscure magazines rather than us /...
Quote of the year.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Our Host!