Word From Pete Hines

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Word From Pete Hines

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Pete Hines">Person: Pete Hines</a> | More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>I was talking with <strong>Pete Hines</strong> about the whole hullabaloo over the <em>Fallout 3</em> production status and whether or not <em>Fallout 3</em> was out of pre-production. He wanted me to relay the following to you:</p><blockquote><p><em>Suffice it to say that we have been adding people to the project over the last few months and will continue to do so going forward. Beyond that, we aren't ready to talk about what we're up to or what stage we're in or when we'll be ready to talk. The game is being worked on, that's for sure.</em></p></blockquote><p>I've taken what he's said to mean that <em>Fallout 3 </em>isn't in what we might think of as pure pre-production or full-blown production. I guess what I've determined is that it's in a sort of limbo between the two. So take from that what you will. Work is being done on the game...that's all I care about. </p>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

So basically they are debating between using turnbase or using realtime and feeling the wrath of the fallout community. The fact that they are still deciding on how to proceed is probably a good thing for us. Or maybe they just lied and are going full blast with Todd Howards wonderful imagination.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Pete Hines should be president, he's an expert at telling us nothing, while sounding like he just told us everything.

Though I do rather like the fact that they're putting more then two brain cells into this, it does make me think that they might actually listen to things we have to say, which is a start. I doubt it's true, but you never know.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Jeez Louise, what's with the optimism around here? Is there not one living man around who can dissect this little newsbit into being the apocalypse of gaming evolution and a final end of our hopes and dreams? I'm sorely disappointed, and while I will be glancing back to this thread in a short future, I sincerely hope there will be some genuinely negative comments by the time I get back. >:(
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Meh, I moved beyond being frustrated and into realm of Whatever.

So I can tell you why Pokemon sucks for example, whaddya say?
Serious Business.
s_hole
SDF!
SDF!

Post by s_hole »

hopefully they're spending the time and manpower on building a few dozen gameplay prototypes to see what works and what doesn't
2d/3d, realtime/turn based
Sae
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Sae »

Actually, they are in the process of training interns to spoon-feed Todd ice cream while he plays. He gets awful cranky if it's done incorrectly. :binkybaby:
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

that piece of interview would fit nicely into a video where pipboy hammers down nails into his own coffin. then pulls gun and wents his head. the end. trilogy failed for the second and final time.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

That's a shit update.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

I'm still waiting to hear about the Pokemon.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

vx trauma wrote:that piece of interview would fit nicely into a video where pipboy hammers down nails into his own coffin. then pulls gun and wents his head. the end. trilogy failed for the second and final time.
I'm sure toxic will make a flick for you =)
Testicular Pugilist
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

baby arm wrote:I'm still waiting to hear about the Pokemon.
So ya see, it's a fine idea it is, 15 types, counters, resistances and so on, moves, evolution, all that shit. You'd think the game would be bit strategic... wrong. I was playing Emerald a bit, definitely best edition, and I took Torchic because it looks half-decent... at third stage at least. Anyway, Since it's my first Pokemon I used it all the time, generally keeping my level at twice of any enemy level I met. I cleared first gym with Double Kick, I cleared second gym with Peck, and I'm thinking what the fuck, I'm still using same Pokemon. You see, I actually cared and was catching the fuckers, even those with 5% chance of appearing, ugh. But so what? I have like 20+ Pokemon already, one at ridicolously high level and rest on Level Retarded. Now, I KNOW I will have to finally use someone else, because no one pokemon can have all counters, but that's the whole point: I won't be able to use anything I caught because they're Level Retarded. I just didn't have any reason to train them 'till now.
The game's extreme linearity(Japan) is not helping. If I had wide selection of Pokemons in the beginning, I'd just form a "dream team" and kept using all of them because enemies usually come in all variants. But it's a game for retarded people(Japan), so they will nail the rules into your head slowly and surely. I want to use proper counters, and I can't because you just don't meet them at this stage. And if you meet, they're some retards, statistically and visually(Yes, actually *some* of them look decent).

All in all, Pokemon would be off much better as a MMORPG. Grinding is the same, generally, and the freedom would boost the playability very much.

:salute:
Serious Business.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Pete Hines should be president, he's an expert at telling us nothing, while sounding like he just told us everything.
Not really, he sounds like he told us nothing. Which is, uhm, what he's been doing since the start. Who can blame him, tho'? It's his job. It'd be a lot easier if he was left alone, rather than forced to repeat "we can't talk about it" like a robot every day.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Koki wrote:
So ya see, it's a fine idea it is, 15 types, counters, resistances and so on, moves, evolution, all that shit. You'd think the game would be bit strategic... wrong. I was playing Emerald a bit, definitely best edition, and I took Torchic because it looks half-decent... at third stage at least. Anyway, Since it's my first Pokemon I used it all the time, generally keeping my level at twice of any enemy level I met. I cleared first gym with Double Kick, I cleared second gym with Peck, and I'm thinking what the fuck, I'm still using same Pokemon. You see, I actually cared and was catching the fuckers, even those with 5% chance of appearing, ugh. But so what? I have like 20+ Pokemon already, one at ridicolously high level and rest on Level Retarded. Now, I KNOW I will have to finally use someone else, because no one pokemon can have all counters, but that's the whole point: I won't be able to use anything I caught because they're Level Retarded. I just didn't have any reason to train them 'till now.
The game's extreme linearity(Japan) is not helping. If I had wide selection of Pokemons in the beginning, I'd just form a "dream team" and kept using all of them because enemies usually come in all variants. But it's a game for retarded people(Japan), so they will nail the rules into your head slowly and surely. I want to use proper counters, and I can't because you just don't meet them at this stage. And if you meet, they're some retards, statistically and visually(Yes, actually *some* of them look decent).

All in all, Pokemon would be off much better as a MMORPG. Grinding is the same, generally, and the freedom would boost the playability very much.

one can catch higher level pokemon in later stages of the game
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Fallout would be better as an MMORPG.

/calls France.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Actually, I tend to agree with POOPERSCOOPER, it seems to indicate to me that they're still trying to decide on the key elements.

On the other hand, it could be PR talk.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Thor Kaufman wrote:
Koki wrote:

I never noticed it, so it must really be LATER in the game. I mean, sure, Poochyenas and other scum is everywhere, but that doesn't mean that they're useful - because game gives you only certain types at certain routes. Also the statistics progression for wild and domesticated pokemon is different(In other words, pokemon whom you leveled from level 1 to 10 will have higher stats than the one caught at level 10).
If you had a wide selection from the beginning and had to actually use them all, there would be no problem.

And don't quote whole post just to make a point ok dammit :gnasher:
Serious Business.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Gratitude to Sir Hiney for the information >.>
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Koki wrote:
Thor Kaufman wrote:
Koki wrote: So ya see, it's a fine idea it is, 15 types, counters, resistances and so on, moves, evolution, all that shit. You'd think the game would be bit strategic... wrong. I was playing Emerald a bit, definitely best edition, and I took Torchic because it looks half-decent... at third stage at least. Anyway, Since it's my first Pokemon I used it all the time, generally keeping my level at twice of any enemy level I met. I cleared first gym with Double Kick, I cleared second gym with Peck, and I'm thinking what the fuck, I'm still using same Pokemon. You see, I actually cared and was catching the fuckers, even those with 5% chance of appearing, ugh. But so what? I have like 20+ Pokemon already, one at ridicolously high level and rest on Level Retarded. Now, I KNOW I will have to finally use someone else, because no one pokemon can have all counters, but that's the whole point: I won't be able to use anything I caught because they're Level Retarded. I just didn't have any reason to train them 'till now.

I never noticed it, so it must really be LATER in the game. I mean, sure, Poochyenas and other scum is everywhere, but that doesn't mean that they're useful - because game gives you only certain types at certain routes. Also the statistics progression for wild and domesticated pokemon is different(In other words, pokemon whom you leveled from level 1 to 10 will have higher stats than the one caught at level 10).
If you had a wide selection from the beginning and had to actually use them all, there would be no problem.

And don't quote whole post just to make a point ok dammit :gnasher:
take care, I might invade poland with my army of pokemons
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Actually, I tend to agree with POOPERSCOOPER, it seems to indicate to me that they're still trying to decide on the key elements.

On the other hand, it could be PR talk.
I don't think it indicates that, but I'll not deny that it's obviously one of the possibilities. A lot of their staff are working on the two-dollar Oblivion programs and they might want to put off certain key decisions until all key developers are available.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Our Host!