Interesting weapon, character, game ideas - yaaay!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Which characters/enemies do you consider to be the most dangerous?

Fast guys with lotsa reaction time
8%
Big guys with big guns and a mean right hook
4%
Little guys in armor which have weapons that can pierce armor
29%
Big monsters with lotsa hitpoints and really big claws
38%
Characters with excellent combat AI, but not so great health or guns
21%

Total votes: 24

BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

And it would pierce some walls.

What's "IIRC" anyway?
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

If I Recall Correctly, (acronym)
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Actually, bullets fired at speeds approaching the speed of light, using super-powerful electromagnets. Close though.
No, where the hell did you get that Haplo? Biggest piece of bullshit I ever heard.

Railguns/Gauss weapons are just electromagnetic guns which deliver their energy to the target using a physical mass. The speed is irrelevant - you could have a gauss weapon which fires bullets at subsonic speeds if you wanted (to conserve power or something, whatever).

But the idea of a near-lightspeed railgun is proposterous... the energy requirements are far above and beyond what can be supplied with fusion and the material stresses are far too great. Whoever came up with the idea of a near-lightspeed railgun outta be shot with one. :twisted:

(--smacks Haplo with a near-lightspeed railgun--)

The best use of railguns are to replace gunpowder weapons for the purpose of artillery (tank cannons) and sniper rifles - because you get about twice the velocity out of them if you use conservative energy requirement figures (twice the velocity = twice the range, or four times as massive if you want to devote the extra energy into mass rather than velocity). Machine-Railguns aren't a good idea because they can already pierce armor, and they overheat quickly. Suffice to say that plasma weapons - strictly in the annals of science fiction currently, share a similar design and function as a railgun.

Railguns would probably have a muzzle velocity of about 2000-4000 meters per second (or 6500-13000 feet per second)... an m-16 rifle bullet has a muzzle velocity of 1000 meters per second, so you can see the improvement, right?

And it's not that railguns would be expensive to manufacture (of course they would, but)... it's that they're bulky and almost impossible to miniaturize - it's the fucking energy supply (need a megawatt-class generator just to power it... reminds me of those wattz emergency backup generators in fallout).
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

why bother with that when you can use a (comparred to that, crappyer) .50 caliber sniper rifle. those bullets are huge! and go through walls and such.

its the conventional alternative to railguns and gauss rifels.

Oh, doesnt the description for 2mm EC say that it is Aluminum, if it does say that (cant remember) then how the hell would a magnet move it!
for gauss rifle in Fo2 and i think T
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

If it was a powerful enough magnet it would, IIRC. I would have to check my science books to see if it has any...uhm...Oh dammit, forgot the term, well, SGW would know what I mean, since he is into all that science and all. I am probably wrong though, that's why I need to check.
fuck
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

There never was a description of 2mmEC... it just says "standard ammunition" or something stupid like that.

If you take a small bullet and put lotsa firepower behind it, it gets great penetration... but damage suffers a little bit (especially if you make it a really small bullet).

I had an idea for something I call a "CP" weapon. CP stands for Coated Pin... a long bullet with a plastic or ceramic shell around it. I know people might have heard me explain this before... but my version was a 4.5mm x 25mm bullet coated in .25mm of hard plastic. The bullet casing has more gunpowder in it than a 7.62mm rifle bullet.

Because there's alot of propellant, the barrel on the weapon has to be longer so you get more use out of that explosive (more efficient). It needs a sabot for a few reasons - bullet will be going much faster than normal rifle bullets, the bullet itself has more contact with the barrel because of the bullet's length, and the bullet is made of a hard metal which'd strip out all the rifling.

Advantages:
*Tremendous penetration... maybe not through tank armor, but it'll go through sandbags and light vehicles and certainly personnel armor.
*A reasonable amount of damage
*Range... because it still has alot of mass (drawn into length rather than width), it wont deviate from it's trajectory very fast like most small bullets do... and the velocity tends to counterract gravity y'know.

Disadvantages:
*High recoil
*Expensive ammunition
*Loud as hell
*Large muzzle flash
*Difficult to design weapons for it (absolutly cannot jam, and the sabots make for an interesting delimma with keeping the barrel clean).
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

I'm sorry, but people are proving Einstien wrong through experiment after experiment these days, so the idea of a "near-light speed" railgun is not preposterous. I mean c'mon, if you were as big a science major as you make yourself out to be, than you would know that some guys at the Australian National University have managed to teleport laser beams... which proves many of Einstiens fundemental equations wrong.

But, let the facts sort it out...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... eporting_1

*Smacks SGW with a scientific proof
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

*Sarcasm mode on* So you are planning to invent a gun that teleports the bullet to the enemy? Heh that way you don't need to aim, BRILLIANT :roll: !!!! *Sarcasm mode off*

Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

A laser beam also has no mass, unlike a bullet. A gun that could accelerate projectiles to even a fraction of light speed would have enormous recoil even with tiny projectiles, need buttloads of energy, and it would have to be fired in a vacuum. The effects of atmospheric friction on anything solid moving at even 25% of light speed are left up to the readers' imaginations. Various outfits are working on railguns that fire stuff at very high velocities compared to conventional weapons, but nowhere near light speed.

http://www.scienceweb.org/movies/eraser.html
http://www.bsharp.org/physics/stuff/recoil.html
http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun.htm
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

Nononono.... you guys are completely missing the point of why I posted that. I mean that because Einstiens theories are being broken left and right by experiments, there is a possibility that his theories on light speed and relativity could all be wrong, or at least inaccurate, leaving a possibility for mankind to achieve speeds near the speed of light. If mankind can achieve near light speed with anything, then space travel outside of our own solar system instantly becomes a practical possibility. And, it is easy to obtain a vaccum... simply fire the weapon in outer space, at a target in outerspace.

Also, note that teleportation right now is only limited to data encrypted laser beams. If they can successfully transmit an atom, then the doors are blown wide open for matter to be moved instaneously, near light speed. With technology and knowledge progressing swifter everyday, are you telling me that it will always be impossible to compensate for the recoil and power problems? No, of course not. I do not have the solutions for that, so don't ask. What I am saying is that with enough experimentation and discoveries, it may become possible. :argue:

And the power of such a weapon would be terrifying in human hands. An object moving at light speeds colliding with an other object would connect with a force above that of a nuclear explosion. The mere implication of such a weapon would be disasterous. I truly hope that mankind doesn't try to build such a weapon.
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

You can be damn sure humanity will build it. The reatards built the atom bomb and launched it, they WILL build the railgun and use it when they can...

Haplo

Post by Haplo »

That's exactly why I want to move out to the middle of nowhere. Now, the phalanx on a battleship is the greatest thing I have ever seen! Fuckin radar guided minigun to take out airplanes and missles! Let me fire that one, just one time!
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

That would be a funny experience... :)

Haplo

Post by Haplo »

No shit! 1200 rounds a friggen minute! Man, I'd love to rip one off a battle ship and take it deer hunting! Take that bambi! Take that thumper!
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

You do have points about the whole railgun concept. Time will only bring improvements in the technology involved. However, I don't think that they will be able to build the "Eraser" man-portable light-speed projectile railgun until technology improves to the point that they don't need to do so.

If you like the Phalanx gun(which is based on the M61 Vulcan), I think that you will really like the 30mm Gau-8 Avenger, the cannon on the A-10 Warthog.

BRAAAAAPT! Hold these for me...

I find it interesting that the M61 is period for Fallout, since the project for it dates back to 1946, the M61 was adopted in 1956.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

Nice pics and info man! Where do you get this stuff? (Or are you constantly looking up information on weapons... scary thought). All military weapons that I have fired were bad-ass. Especially the LAW. I still have no idea why they let me fire it, because that missle must have cost thousands upon thousands. If any of you guys ever get the chance to fire a M-16, take it, and don't worry about the recoil because it feels just like fireing a 22. rifle, except on burst.
And yeah, I know that we're a long ways away from a portable railgun. I don't think anyone actually believed the plot line in that movie anyway. If they had that kind of power, why were they still driving fuel combustion engine cars?
Anyway, the weapon that I would like to see most in a game would have to be a well-coded sword. I think a remake of Shadow Warrior using a better engine would sell well. (I know, daikatana sucked, but we can still hope)
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Mostly I just type stuff into Google.

Swords, axes, and other melee weapons would probably make a comeback. I wouldn't want FO3 to become a high-tech D&D game, however.
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

No, niether would I... but would it hurt to have a few, nice damaging swords in there?
Kaine
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Kaine »

Perfect Weapon?

For Game or Real Life?

For Game, it would be one that you could build from the ground up, adding whatever if you have skill and parts and it is compatible with other parts.

As for real life, I'd like to see the cartridge for the .270 lengthed, with tungsten cored rounds, firing through a preferabley H&K rifle with a low barrel twist. Bull Barrel, with a Low light scope and a 10 shot mag.

Has to be mostly synthetics.

Target trigger (like the PSG-1), and maybe a Dragonuv style stock.
Kaine,
The Heretic
The Gunner
Master of War
Donec Laxus...
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Actually haplo, I did hear about that. Not in the way you'd expect though... saw it in the "news of the weird" section of my local paper.

Implications: If you can learn to teleport matter, you can teleport bombs - giving creedance to a weapon which really does teleport a bullet. (and if you can teleport bombs, you can teleport nuclear bombs too...)

Im not a well informed person, my only outlet to news is usually the paper and the news on tv (public broadcasting service included).

And yes bigjack, they will build a railgun if they can. They have actually... it's in prototype stages and launches a arrow-shaped projectile at about 2500 meters a second (im guessing it weighs about 5-10 lbs, was solid aluminim methinks)... saw that on discovery channel program that had info on airbourne lasers, the OICW, and the OCSW (replacement for the M-60, M2 .50cal, and belt-fed grenade launcher).
1200 rounds a friggen minute
That's awful damn low. I know of a few submachineguns (mostly uzi's) which fire at that rate. I dont see why they'd need a gatling array for that.

If you have a gatling array - multiple barrel assembly, you can get up to 8000 rounds per minute out of it... and it's only really neccicary if you go over 2000 rounds a minute.

And haplo... no matter how fast you want it to go... you have to get the energy to do it from somewhere. And what I was saying is that you dont need a near-lightspeed railgun unless you wanna strip off the earth's atmosphere or destroy a planet. Matter of fact, might not be possible because you need a true superconductor or the electrical energy will vaporize your magnetic coils. Not to mention, where are you going to get the quadrillions of Gigawatts to accelerate it to that speed anyway?
Our Host!