Interesting weapon, character, game ideas - yaaay!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Which characters/enemies do you consider to be the most dangerous?

Fast guys with lotsa reaction time
8%
Big guys with big guns and a mean right hook
4%
Little guys in armor which have weapons that can pierce armor
29%
Big monsters with lotsa hitpoints and really big claws
38%
Characters with excellent combat AI, but not so great health or guns
21%

Total votes: 24

Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Interesting weapon, character, game ideas - yaaay!

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Yep, this is the place to put all your neat game ideas (so interplay can rip you off :twisted: - just kidding). Im not posting this thread to do research on guns and stuff, hell post pics if you want to (I will anyway - eventually)... mostly just so that the few of us that have game ideas and stuff can actually get this stuff out in the open and let people know we have creative powers. To start it off - i'll give you guys a poll.

Im going to post alot of stuff from my recent back-burner project formerly known as "aftermath", which woulda been a game like fallout.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

you mean ideas for fallout 3?

theres already a phorum phor that.
:chew:
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Weapon Ideas:

"GAT" - A minigun which is primarily operated from a single arm. The trigger handle is on top of the gun right before the barrel assembly, and a large securing belt is right behind it to keep the arm firmly held to the weapon. The weapon has two slots built onto either side right next to the trigger handle, this is for an additional side handle to clip into just in case the user needs more accuracy or isn't strong enough to shoot the weapon single handedly (note the ambidexterity).

I originally had this weapon fed by a 200-round belt of 9x19mm parabolic, but since that would make it alot heavier and harder to carry... I settled on a 100-round drum which is designed to mostly fit into the inside of the gun. Ejected casings are spat downward at a foward angle. It has an adjustible fire rate - 1000, 2000, or 3000 rounds per minute; with optional 10, 20, and 40 shot computer-controlled bursts.

Why a 9mm minigun you say? Why not rifle rounds? It's because something like this would probably be a weapon issed to guards or something - military police, etc. Small pistol bullets dont have much recoil, so firing 40 of em per second isn't out of the question - especially since this thing would probably weigh about 20lbs. And small pistol bullets are easy to carry around - you can carry at least twice as many 9x19mm parabolic as you can 5.56x45mm rifle. Not to mention it would make an extremly effective crowd control weapon (imagine - even with rubber bullets, 40 of em per second will knock the wind outta just about anyone - not that you'd focus on any person in particular... you'd spray the crowd and they'd fall down weeping).

I had a killer idea for an OICW style assault rifle. The weapon is composed of two parts - an assault rifle module, and a grenade launcher module (well, so is the OICW, but...). However, the grenade launcher module is on the bottom, and the assault rifle module is on top. The assault rifle is fed from a top-feeding ammunition store - alot like the RCP-90 or the G11 (though the G11 uses caseless, it still feeds top-down). The clip has a 50 shot capacity and uses 5.56x45mm NATO rounds.

To make room for the scope on top, the clip is off to one side and at an angle of about 45 degrees (it's on the left side of the gun). The grenade launcher is on the bottom and is fed by 33mm shells from either a 5 or 10 shot clip, or a 15 shot drum... and it's in the same location that a clip is normally found on a conventional assault rifle. The grenade launcher module is semi-automatic and can use a multitude of different ammo types - anti personnel fragmentation, High-explosive, armor piercing slugs, and the good ol' spread ordinance (large shotgun pellets). In all, the weapon system weighs about 8 lbs... 2 lbs for the scope, 3 lbs for the assault rifle, and 3 lbs for the grenade launcher.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

No, not for fallout 3. No specific game in particular really. Post stuff about something like a BFG if you want to... I just figured i'd start next to something fallout-ish since this is a fallout-inspired fan site.
Follower
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Follower »

Good AI is the most important part of game. Your hero can be cool and mighty, but if the game is stupid collection of dumbasses it is not very funny
World of FO is coming... too fast for my liking
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

How many people could keep an H&K MP5 on target buring burst fire using one hand???

Not many.... Now guess how many people could control a 9mm (it's Parabellum by the way) minigun without power armour....

Plus you have the huge torque of the motor powering the minigun to consider..... The propane igniting "prop" minigun used by Arnie in T2 (based on a GE M134) proved too much for him to control at full ROF and was set to a lower ROF for the clips used in the movie.

Basically, there's a good reason that miniguns are mounted on aircraft and vehicles...... nobody is strong enough to hold the bloody things!

Wearing power armour of some sort is the only way a normal human will ever fire one of these bad boys without it being bolted to something....
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

They should make a big harness to strap on to someone, then have a big spike on the back. You just flick a switch and it drills into the ground, then you start firing your minigun.

you also could use it like the mortar guns and stuff they used in WW2.

Also with this you could mabye link more guns up.

I think that theyre should be an rpg set in modern day. All the current ones are either medieval times or set into the far future. That way you can have modern day weapons, people and technology. (your less likely to screw it up :D)

I also want to see a game where your a cop so you can go and arrest people and shoot innocent by-standers.
:chew:
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

btw Viktor, is that a steyre scout in ur avatar's arm?
Bulldog
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bulldog »

Dark Xenomorph wrote:btw Viktor, is that a steyre scout in ur avatar's arm?
No way I thought it was an AWM :roll:

I'd say the coolest gun would be like a railgun, but the setup would be more like a tourney Autococker (paintball gun) hooked up to a back-mounted air tank.

Pretty much impossible but really cool looking.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

No. The Railgun from MGS2 is the best. If u had duelies of those, with harden power armour, u would be kick asss dude! :snipersmile:

And about the AWM, i believe it is actually AWM/P! :roll:
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

the weapons from syndicate wars are some of the coolest i have ever seen

bring on the electron mace and satellite rain
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Dark Xenomorph wrote:No. The Railgun from MGS2 is the best. If u had duelies of those, with harden power armour, u would be kick asss dude! :snipersmile:

And about the AWM, i believe it is actually AWM/P! :roll:
...but the railgun from mgs2 doesnt exist.

I think the gun is a sniper rifle. I dont care what make it is, what calibre the bullets are or when it was made. Its a gun, it shoots people.
scotch
Regular
Regular

Post by scotch »

Exotic, non-firearm, weapons. That's what I'm thinking would be cool. Blowguns, garottes (sp?), piano wire, chemicals, ultrasonic emitters, magnetic resonance something-or-others, microwave doo-hicky-doobobs, hypodermic needle spewing whatcha-mafuckems, and the like.

An RPG that lets the player improvise from whatever is handy. That would be way freakin' excellent. And booby traps. Let me be able to engineer my own booby traps.

Don't wake me up. I like THIS dream.
RAR! I am the Quarter Inch Killer, redundant Fuktard apprentice. Fear the wrath of my mighty midget foreskin!
Reply, if you're looking to get your ass QIK'ed!

Pointy Sticks! Get your nice fresh Pointy Sticks, right here!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Project ego looks good...pity it's for the X-box.

There are 3 things I want in an rpg:

*Good (and extensive) dialouge trees

*Non-linearity

*lots of sub-quests
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

GAT minigun:
It shoots about 5x as fast as a standard smg and weighs about 4 times as much. Since it's underarm mounted, it's gonna have shitty accuracy anyway. There are a few things I forgot to mention:

It has a laser pointer sight so you can at least get a good idea of where to point the gun and when to start pulling the trigger...

The barrel assembly is composed of 3 barrels (not 4, 5, or 6), and powered by an electric motor (which is powered by a high-tech battery cell - like a small energy cell from fallout)... And something you may or may not have noticed is that it doesnt have an insane fire rate like a real minigun... but has a fire rate that'll put a mini-uzi to shame. Most likely the gun would have a minimum strength rating like the Minigun from fallout did - Min ST. 7 or something equivalent.
-----

Aftermath was going to have little tracked vehicles which shot hypodermic needles. It was also going to have a boliero - one of those things you twirl around and it wraps somebody up.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

It would be cool if you could get a larger version of power armor that had integrated weapons mounted on it. Like the stuff from the Starship Troopers cartoon. Big enough for one person to fit in and move just like normal except it would move the armor suit too. It could even incorparate this underarm minigun, but it would be a detachable component of the suit. When you're out of ammo, boom, you just hit a switch and it drops off the suit. You could fit it with different weapons on different places. Like a rocket launcher on the back that raises to the shoulder when ready to fire. Or 3 small auto-cannnons on the fist. That would awesome.
BlacKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Post by BlacKnight »

How about a (large) SMG based around .50AE? Feeding from an under mounted 50-round helical feed drum (like the Bizon) it would have a floating chamber for reduced recoil allowing for comfortable automatic fire. Of course instead of .50AE you could have .357 for more capacity or .44 COR-BON rounds for just an overall greater gun. It would be a relativley small weapon but with a cyclic rate of 800rpm+ it would chew through flesh, bone, armour, hell anything with unbelievable ease! (especially with .44 COR-BON). Of course the floating internal reduced recoil feature means that even the smallest and weakest of people can use it. Disadvantages? burns through ammo VERY quick snd the weapon would be rare and VERY expensive. Its accuracy at range would be very good but you can't expect 400m head shots and firing into a group of mixed friendly/hostiles would be a BAD idea (to say the Least). It could potentially KICK ASS! :twisted:
MadSole
SDF!
SDF!

A few ideas

Post by MadSole »

About the topic at hand:
I like the idea of a small personal 3 barrel minigun. Made primarily of carbon fibre and titan, of course. Short small blunt bullets, preferably caseless. Bullets accelerate to high speed to make up for their lack of stopping power. I have a particular design in mind, if I can be arsed to, I might make a sketch in photoshop...Then I'll only need to find somewhere to upload it, but I take it somebody has a link to a good free server?
Anyhow, the basic idea would be underarm mount with lasersight, like already suggested. In other words, it's held in place by a thin long flat titan band tightly to your lower arm and wrist. The band extents out a little in front of your hand, and has 2 handles. One for the right arm, where it's mounted, one for the left hand for more prescise shooting. The gun would be made up of 3 barrels that would be approx 45 cm long, would be made of titan, and would be held together by reinforced carbon fibre bearings and rings. The rotary system drive would be gas based hydraulics. The ammo clip would be a(easily detachable for reload and "arm-stretching" purposes) case strapped to the back of the upper arm, allowing ammo to freely glide into the reloading chamber. The caseless desgin would mean no ejection, and as such, the explosion would have to be very clean, so as not to make the weapon jam often. Metal plate would be mounted on the front of the upper arm, on upon a should pad, and on the upper right chest. These would be connected to the top of the lower arm/wrist through a hydraulics based anti shock system. The idea would be that the user can freely both vertically and horisontally sight the weapon, but when he starts the rotary mechanism, the antishocs will lock the weapon in place vertically. Or rather, they would absorb the up-recoil, allowing the user to move the weapon sideways while firering, but not up or down unless moving all of the upper body up or down. This would also effectively deliver the majority of the recoil to the shoulder and upper right chest, which is a good thing.
That's pretty much how I see the design. A bit too much for a game, maybe, but I think it's fairly realistic.

As for other gaming ideas, I have lots of them. Particularly, I'd like to create a game that includes:
Post nuclear setting

Role playing

A mix of the fallout and morrwind experience systems

Tactical combat

Really big guns (anti materiel sniper rifles, 20 mm rifles(a refitted f15/16 gatling barrel would do), heavy machineguns, miniguns, and perhaps an entire revired f15/16 20 mm gatling cannon), not all usable just like that, of course

An advanced weapon modification system (do the mods yourself!, duct tape, rechambering, etc.)

A story of some kind, that gives small bits of information about why the world is as it is along the road.

Some good and solid predefined characters(I just LOVE tormented characters in games. They're what really drags you into the game, what makes it like ambrosia. I also want a reincarnated Jan Jansen)

Small and very basic weapons that you can rely on(the bigger will have scarce ammo, or only have ammo at a single location in the game)

Enviromental "mcgyver" weapons.

A place to return to, a "home" of sorts. A base. Something, maybe an old shipwreck, but hopefully a home of your choosing.

Finesse. As your character is groing stronger and smarter, he should be able to handle combat much more ellegantly.

Fighting, and running. I want the main character to choose the running path from time to time, nomatter how strong he grows.

That's mostly it. Maybe I should have made more points about the characters, because in the end, they're what drives the story forward. On a side note, I'd like is if the player had to revisit already visited locations. The wasteland is rough, so surviving is tough, but possible....I really liked System Shock 2 where you had to get back to some of the lower levels for some chemicals (which you had access to all from the beginning), to find that the place has been reinfested while you were gone. It created chaos, and a lot of the time went into planning how to get from a sealed off locked room to the next.
I don't want to create the same kind of tension, but yet, I want the player to be on his toes ALL the time, always aware that a spook might pop up.

Finally, the most important thing is a good ending. I want to do a fallout-ish ending, giving complete closure through a slide-show or similar. It is SUCH a good way of doing it.
Armish techhead, inventer of the steam-driven computer.
scotch
Regular
Regular

Post by scotch »

MadSole,

I like that. Very well thought out.

Bravo!

[EDIT] V 1.00.01 - If it ever flies, I wanna be a Beta-Tester!
Last edited by scotch on Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAR! I am the Quarter Inch Killer, redundant Fuktard apprentice. Fear the wrath of my mighty midget foreskin!
Reply, if you're looking to get your ass QIK'ed!

Pointy Sticks! Get your nice fresh Pointy Sticks, right here!
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

People shouldn't think. it causes arguments.
3 barrelled, arm mounted minigun? Image

ka-ching.

It's not exactly what you mentioned. but i love powered armour.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Our Host!