Help...Editor is a slow motion molasses of frustration!!!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Help...Editor is a slow motion molasses of frustration!!!

Post by ogreb »

Even a small map is unworkable, my larger maps are impossible.

I just recently restarted work on my campaign, only disc 1 dead.
So I ordered one on-line, took 3 weeks to get here.
Re-installed Tactics, loaded editor, moved saved campaign files back to editor( actually a custom campaign folder)

Everything fine...
Load editor fine..
Start new maps( after checking older ones loaded right, but did not open)

Lay a few thousand tile down...and boom!...we start to chug...

When I worked on my campaign before, the only size maps that would even slow my rig were huge and loaded with entities!!!

Thats what I liked about it...fast, could do massive maps with entities, lights, fires, and massive and I mean massive amounts of tiles!!!!

Like grass, rocks, trees, pebbles, etc...and they look good! Nice and detailed.

Now I can barely place walls on lone 2 story house without having to hit ctrl-z every five seconds because the mouse is so slow and tile placement is so erratic!

On a 4x4 map with only about 2 square total of tiles! I should be flying here!

My larger maps are a slow..slow..slow crawl and placing anything is near impossible.

This is too much!!!

Do I have to re-install older drivers?

My rig.
P4 3.06
1g Ram
6800gs 256

Which plays Oblivion beautifully!
Like melted buttah....mmmmm...butter..

Right now the editor is too slow to continue ( I wonder if it's a sign?....but I really want to finish this!)

And I de-frag/scan disk etc everyday...newest drivers...reinstall windows 2x a year...have external HD storage..blah blah!

Help!!!
Dak
Regular
Regular

Maps

Post by Dak »

Trust you have installed the 1.27 patch. Try Going to Tools then Click New Occlusion Data, when its done, Save. Then reopen and see if your maps working faster. You can also try going into View and truning off Antialined both Sprites and Tiles, Dynamic Lighting, Smooth Shading and Shadows. Having these off while building your map will help with speed. Hope this helps.

Dak
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Yeah it's 1.27...

I turned that stuff off and it helped...a little.

I just don't understand, I never had to turn that stuff off before.
When I was working before...the editor just flew along, no matter what I did to it.
Only a huge map 8x8 or larger with a ton of entities and tiles would even slow it down. And just a little slow down.

I do occulision every hour...and it only helped for a few seconds.

I wonder if I should re-install?

Gods I wish I had a US only release ( the one I got is from England, took 3 weeks to get here)

But it's a little better for now, so I'll soldier on...

Yes..I'll work on the Highwayman! It's just taken a little longer than I thought.
I thought I'd whip out a small town map for my campaign , then I'd start on the rendering.

Well thanks...it did help.

Sorry the Highwayman is taken so long...
Dak
Regular
Regular

Maps

Post by Dak »

One more thing you can try is screen resolution. I do most mapping in 800 X 600. You can also try 16 bit instead of 32 bit. Again all this helps on speed. Which version of Direct X do you have loaded? I've had issue with version 9. Might try loading the latest.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

If I turn the AA off it seems to be ok, I'm still getting a lot of slowing.

I know I never had it off before( when I was mapping)...because it's so damn ugly without AA!!!

And only the largest of maps gave it any pause (AA on..and tons of tiles and entities!)

Something is wrong here...if I can't fix it, I'm not sure I'm going to finish.

The non AA is too hard on the eyes.

yeah it is at 800x600...but I've mapped at higher with no lag.

This sucks....!!!

I do have all the latest drivers...

When I was mapping before I had a 2.4 chip and a 9800xt256 card and the editor flew!
I now have a 3.06 chip and a 6800 gs 256 card and it crawls!

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!
Our Host!