FO3 Dialogue System

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

As far as I've understood, Beth want dialogue to be constricted and varied, 3 options that have 600 different answers and whatnot. So what they should do is hire two teams of dialogue writers. One does the actual dialogue, that makes sense and sounds appropriate, and the other does "Rumours", "Master" and "Slavers guild" or whatever - and then just implent the little nifty "Ask about" feature that Fallout 1 had. Everyone get's what they want.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

St. Toxic wrote:[...] and then just implent the little nifty "Ask about" feature that Fallout 1 had. Everyone get's what they want.
Did anyone really use that?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

TinyTeeth wrote:
St. Toxic wrote:[...] and then just implent the little nifty "Ask about" feature that Fallout 1 had. Everyone get's what they want.
yeah, but only to ask for genitals and such.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

Mismatch wrote:
TinyTeeth wrote:
yeah, but only to ask for genitals and such.
Now that you mention it, I do remember using it.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

St. Toxic wrote:As far as I've understood, Beth want dialogue to be constricted and varied, 3 options that have 600 different answers and whatnot. So what they should do is hire two teams of dialogue writers. One does the actual dialogue, that makes sense and sounds appropriate, and the other does "Rumours", "Master" and "Slavers guild" or whatever - and then just implent the little nifty "Ask about" feature that Fallout 1 had. Everyone get's what they want.
eh.. no.
Half of the fun is to say neat things, not just go "master" to some mutant.
One word chit is dumb.
One wants be be able to ask it in a few different ways, like:
"So, tell me about this master" <for info>
"I heard that the master rapes children" <provoke attack>
etcetc..
"Bye"

In FO which dialogue option you chose made a difference, with only one choice its the chit. And you cant really play as your character, since you cant choose how to speak to people.
The bethsoft way takes away the personality of ones character.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Well yeah, you get to, but as in Fallout you can also go outside of predefined dialogue and enter a word ( or if you like, a whole sentence, I don't give a rats ass ) ala the old Ultimas, F1 as previously mentioned and a few other funky dunky games.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

St. Toxic wrote:Well yeah, you get to, but as in Fallout you can also go outside of predefined dialogue and enter a word ( or if you like, a whole sentence, I don't give a rats ass ) ala the old Ultimas, F1 as previously mentioned and a few other funky dunky games.
yeah, Ive got no grudge against the ask about feature.
I just tried to point out that oblivion dialougue + ask about was in no way a sufficient replacement for falloutesque multiple choice dialogue...
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

The dialogue made the game.

Not just the NPC dialog but your own, and how it changed with your characters Int and Cha was wonderful.

Get rid of that and all you are left with is:

? Rumors ?

? Vault ?

? Try to figure out the right combination of words, or the right word, which is frustrating because the last fourteen words you entered got you the "I don't know what you're talking about" response. ?
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

One thing that sucked horse cock about the oblivion pre-dialogue system was the 'quest help' crown that indicated that there was a quest or similar to be had from someone....
fucking babysitting.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Mismatch wrote:fucking babysitting.
The hole game was about
Mismatch wrote:fucking babysitting.[\quote] you through the set storyline, why stop at the text?

I'm sure Bethsoft already has a great story written out for F3 which is not going to require any dialogue anyways. Besides, Dialog wastes precious resources that could be spent on marketing, and making a sprawling universe (wasteland) with sweet graphics.

Who needs dialog when ya got sweet graphics?

It's a game, ya know, EYE CANDY.
not flippin Brain candy...
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

Yeah dialogue is overrated. More rock slides! Rock slides for everybody!
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

Jesus Christ wrote:I'm sure Bethsoft already has a great story written out for F3 which is not going to require any dialogue anyways. Besides, Dialog wastes precious resources that could be spent on marketing, and making a sprawling universe (wasteland) with sweet graphics.

Jesus! Flaming heretic!
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

It'd be cool if the "bribe" button caused food and medecine items to
be transferred from your inventory instead of cash.
That way they can keep the oblivion style.
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

I always thoght there should be whole towns where your 'money,' your scrip or your bottlecaps or whatnot, would be useless. Some gruffy lookin' son-of-a-fuck wants to trade shotgun shells for Rad-X and Nuka. You try to throw 'money' into the deal, and he could go, "Won't be much use to me where I'm headed" or if he doesn't like you, "What the fuck is this?! I want greenbacks, not fuckin' sea shells."

As long as two hundred people don't use the exact same line, in the exact same voice. Always a fear, considering the crapfest that was Obivion's voice acting and dialogue.
gorrilaz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by gorrilaz »

oblivion is polite dialog not like FO series.. if you taught that become oblivion dialog in post nuclear game i don't want to buy then.. not match with atmosfer
Tommus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tommus »

Mismatch wrote:e="Mismatch"]fucking babysitting.[\quote] you through the set storyline, why stop at the text?

I'm sure Bethsoft already has a great story written out for F3 which is not going to require any dialogue anyways. Besides, Dialog wastes precious resources that could be spent on marketing, and making a sprawling universe (wasteland) with sweet graphics.

Yeah I agree seriously who can be bothered to make decisions in a game like fallout it's not like fun or anything let's make fallout the most linear game ever. I was joking, I dont agree with you, you're a stupid asshole.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Post by the_BlackPipMan »

fallout 3 has 40 000 lines of dialog and its not topic based like oblivion.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

yah, that's one of the more promising things about it. But as I recall they seem to be fucking it up with the whole highlighting what it means thingy.

One thing that was nifty about FO dialogue was that you never was quite sure what the reaction would be to what you were saying.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Post by the_BlackPipMan »

Mismatch wrote:yah, that's one of the more promising things about it. But as I recall they seem to be fucking it up with the whole highlighting what it means thingy.

One thing that was nifty about FO dialogue was that you never was quite sure what the reaction would be to what you were saying.
that is true. i did like that in the original games.

however i wouldn't be surprised if that was incorporated into the game in some way.

i can agree that i hope they wont be highlighting the answers that give you a quest.

that would be stupid.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:fallout 3 has 40 000 lines of dialog and its not topic based like oblivion.
And you should die in a fire.
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Our Host!