Quest Ideas / Quests setups

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Quest Ideas / Quests setups

Post by Mismatch »

So, since we all pretty much agree that FO3 will be oblivion with guns (ie shit), I figured that we could post quest ideas to help the cock awful questwriters at bethsoft.
This will be done in this format:
Setup:
blahblah blah...

Paths:
the different paths....
rangeing from 0-(n+1)

Resolution:
How the chit resolves...

/**************************************/
So, I go first.

Setup:
Im thinking about a Yojimbo (Fistful of Dollars) kinda series of quests.
The player arrives at a town 'owned' by two feuding families, he may even be harassed as soon as he arrives and forced to prove himself by gunning down a person or two:
"You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..."
So, after this our main char is contacted by one ot both the families.

Paths:
This can resolve itself in a few ways:
1) The player makes a few jobs for one of the families, A or B, and then finally help in eliminating the other family.
2) The player plays the families against eachother (as in the flick) by doing quests for both families, mebbe a certain amount of speech and int is needer for the dialogue options. In the end both families goes down, and the player leaves tapping his pockets.
3) The player kills both families without doing any quests.
4) The player does nothing.
5) The player makes peace between the families.

Resolution:
1) The player gets some caps for hios work and the town is ruled by the winning family with an iron fist. ~insert outro narrating voice~

2) The town could either go on with its everyday mundane life, eventually falling victim to raiders, or (if the player somehow encouraged this), they build a thriving semi-democratic society which eventually joins <faction>.
~insert outro narrator voice~

3) Eventually raiders (as in two).

4) life goes on for a while, but eventually the feud tears the society apart, leaving yet another ghost town.

5) The might of the combined families enablem them to create a totalitarian oppressor city state which slowly becomes a threat to neightbouring towns.
Last edited by Mismatch on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Quest Ideas / Quests setups

Post by Koki »

Mismatch wrote:So, since we all pretty much agree that FO3 will be oblivion with guns
Soil erosion! :anger:
I figured that we could post quest ideas to help the cock awful questwriters at bethsoft.
Hahaha. If they were coming here they'd realize their life holds no meaning and add to the Legions of Emo.

Even that one guy disappeared.

Anyway, a Yojimbolike quest would be awesome.
Serious Business.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I don't think Bethesda needs any help with quest ideas, but rather the implementation. The quest setups in Oblivion are OK.
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

It seemed like every quest in oblivion had some kind of twist, like the logic behind it was "that'll keep 'em riveted" but it just became boring.
Boring and gay.

Quest: find the fallout pipboy and add him to your team

Resolution: read the wanted poster, thereby adding the identity of FO boy to your list of potential questions. Apporach a beggar, and ask him where the fallout pipboy is hiding. If you don't make a speech check and a charisma check, the beggar tells you that the pipboy is only a rumor, so you have to have high sk1llz to do this.

Resolution: Beggar sends you to the Secret Hiding Place District in the Imperial City at midnight, so you can go there and join the thieves guild. Fallout Pipboy will approach you, and if you do his quest he'll join you.

1. You could opt not to do it now
2. You could opt not to do it at all
3. You could opt to do the quest now

Yes the man w/no name quest sounds cool, but is beth advanced enough to do something like that?
Plus, they have this thing about not closing off your options for future quests in oblivion. That will have to change.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Setup: You wander into a worthless, shithole hicktown. The mayor is sitting outside a saloon and picking his teeth with a badger. He tells you that thirst is suffocating the town, as the only source of water is a small, radiated pond, fit enough for about half the population.

Paths:
1) You convince the mayor that he's a worthless hillbilly fuckhead, not fit for mayorin' lemmings off a cliff.
2) You convince half the population to move to a town close by, that actually has some working infrastructure.
3) You convince the whole town to pack up and move to a town close by, that actually has some working infrastructure.
4) You dig a well.
5) You help the inbred villagers dig a well.
6) You establish a water trade route between the inbred hick town and a trade town close by, for no extra charge.
7) You establish a water trade route between the inbred hick town and a trade town close by, for a big pile of money.
8) You establish a water trade route between the inbred hick town and a trade town close by, for everything they got.
9) You slaughter half the population.
10) You kill the whole town, thus ridding it of all possible problems.
11) You help the mayor kidnap a number of "unwanted" folk, and sell them to the slavers guild, giving half the profit to the town.
12) You help the mayor kidnap a number of "unwanted" folk, and sell them to the slavers guild, keeping all the cash.
13) You don't give a toss, and just fuck off out of there.

Resolution:
1) The mayor kills himself out of grief, and people start moving out of the town. The cities nearby get crowded with inbred hillbillies, in the most annoying fashion. Some quests become closed to you. Rumours spread about how big an asshole you are.

2) The rednecks move to town X, a thriving wasteland society. It gets crowded with inbred hillbillies, in the most annoying fashion. Some quests in that town become closed to you. Rumours spread between the town natives about how big an asshole you are.

3) All the rednecks move to town X, a thriving wasteland society. The town falls into dismay after only a few weeks, and the native townsfolk walk out into the wasteland to find a place they can call home. A new town ( Y ) is established, where you are the Lucifer in their Bibles. All the town X quests disappear, replaced with town Y quests.

4) The town is saved, albeit they can't afford to show you enough appretiation. That's ok: you're a goody-two-shoes guy! New quests open to you, and some quests close. Rumours spread through the wasteland of what a goody-two-shoes guy you are!

5) The town is saved, everyone's worked hard and all is well! The villagers want you as their mayor, and one-eyed Peggy falls in love with you! You're popular among retards! New quests open to you, and some quests close. Rumours spread through the wasteland of what a goody-two-shoes guy you are!

6) The town is saved, albeit they can't afford to show you enough appretiation. The route costs you a whoppin' 500g a month! That's ok: you're a goody-two-shoes guy! New quests open to you, and some quests close. Rumours spread through the wasteland of what a goody-two-shoes guy you are!

7) The town is saved, and you make a bit of profit. The town does grow economically poor after 6 months, and people start moving out. The cities nearby get crowded with inbred hillbillies, in the most annoying fashion.

8) The town is "saved", and you skin them for all they've got. It's a ghost town within 2 months, people start moving out as soon as you get that first wad of dough. The cities nearby get crowded with inbred hillbillies, in the most annoying fashion. Some quests become closed to you. Rumours spread about how big an asshole you are.

9) You kill half the town's population, as simple math is all you understand. For some reason this gesture isn't appretiated by the remaining residents. Some cities refuse to let you in. Some quests become closed to you. Rumours spread about how big a murderer you are.

10) Genocide is the key! You kill the town, dead. No more hillbillies of the wasteland, no more thirst -- it all works out. Unless you let any townsfolk get away... If you do: Some cities refuse to let you in. Some quests become closed to you. Rumours spread about how big a murderer you are.

11) You make a bit of money dealing with the slavers. Money is all that matters anyway, right? Some cities refuse to let you in. Some quests become closed to you. Rumours about you being a slaver spread through the wasteland.

12) You make shitloads of money dealing with the slavers. Your reputation goes down an extra knotch, with both the hillbillies and the goody-two-shoes of the wasteland. Some cities refuse to let you in. Some quests become closed to you. Rumours about you being a slaver and a huge asshole spread through the wasteland.

13) Within 4-8 months the town collapses, it's people dead from dehydration.

Note: Making the well can be done with a repair-tagged npc.
Last edited by St. Toxic on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Bethesda needs more people like Toxic. :salute:
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Amen to that.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

This stuff isn't rocket science, I really hope Beth can and will figure this out.
Last edited by St. Toxic on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Path 14) You choose to kill the mayor in hopes of sending the town into complete and utter chaos because you are evil and want to pillage the town without the trouble of destroying it yourself!

Resolution 14) The mayor is too important and can never die but instead falls unconscious for about five seconds after a rocket to the face and than he stands up and starts to pick at his teeth with a badger again like nothing happened because he is an important character who can never die so a rocket to the face doesn’t really bother him other than the being unconscious for five seconds thing.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

you must seal the gates of oblivion
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Path 15) God sucks your soul out of your asshole, pours it into his cereal and chows down for a midnight snack. Also, you take 124,436,451,653 fire damage. You die.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Please don't talk about my daddy like that...

souls are not breakfast food and you know it.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

what about soul food then?
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Yes...

Breakfast can be soul food.

Just not the other way around.

Path 16) Your stats are not high enough to attempt this quest, so instead of the game letting you try anyways and suffer the consequences / learn the lesson for yourself, you just can't attempt it period.

Resolution 16) You run around a bunch of stupid pointless caves, each stupid cave looking just like the last stupid cave, killing the same stupid creatures, in the same stupid way, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, because it's the only way the raise your stats because apparently the only role you are allowed to play in this stupid role playing game is the role of a combatant, so you continue to stupidly do the same stupid thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over until you realise it's stupid and get bored of the stupidity and uninstall.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

LlamaGod wrote:you must seal the gates of oblivion
JesusChrist wrote:Resolution 16) You run around a bunch of stupid pointless caves, each stupid cave looking just like the last stupid cave, killing the same stupid creatures, in the same stupid way, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, because it's the only way the raise your stats because apparently the only role you are allowed to play in this stupid role playing game is the role of a combatant, so you continue to stupidly do the same stupid thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over until you realise it's stupid and get bored of the stupidity and uninstall.
But with guns.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I think it should also be worth mentioning that no matter WHAT cave you go to and what you do, the enemies will ALWAYS be your level meaning no cave is impossible as this would most likely lower your self esteem and while this seems ok, the loot is level based as well meaning no matter how awesome the cave looks or how hard you tried or wherever you FOUND said cave/dungeon/fort/etc, you'll only get loot that the game deems you able to handle.
Lukasz-san
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Lukasz-san »

i wanna see lots of non-combat quests.

You heard rumors about corruption in NCR. You investigate:
Old raider who barely escaped slaughter done by chosen one in F2 tells you about Bishop and NCR. he tells you also that you should make friends with council members if you want more info.
You become hero of town A. the mayor likes you since you saved his butt in some way. he sits in the council of NCR. He tells you how it works: you found out about Ganag a rich person who owns a the the trade routes. he contributed a lot of money to NCR so they will have more rangers. Since you are not that important person (yet) you cannot meet with him. Yoiu become a ranger. After doing some quests for them you are awarded some shiny medal. you meet with Ganag. Also, you meet his daughter and you sleep with here. at night you hack her father computer and download some important data. Ganag want to size control over rangers and was putting his men in the important positions in Rangers.
Now you have few choices:
1) expose ganag to the public. Council will be forced to arrest him.
2) Become partner of Ganag and he will recommend you for the position of Ranger captain.
3)Kill Ganag
4) Ganag bribes you to keep everyting secrete.
5) do nothingn with the information which you found out

results:
1) Trade routes collapse. Ganag controled them all but he also brought order. Economy of NCR is collapsing and people are not happy how government operates. They start to see only corruption. Ending tells player thta NCR collapsed couple years after the end game.
2) Ganag becomes president. You are his greatest weapon but also the greatest threat. Ending tells you: what was good for Ganag was good for NCR and that NCR prospered and annexed more and more parts spreading toward east.
3) Chaos with trading routes. Ganag friends start fighting with each other over ganag's wealth and power. You are being hunted by some rouge rangers. Ending tells you tha BoS friendly guy took oever after Ganag and after coouple years NCR is being controlled behind the scene by BoS.
4) You are being hunted for the rest of the game. Ganag put a secrete bounty on you (you can do something with it). Ending tells you that ganag failed to size control over NCR. he was betrayed by rangers who killed council and the captain become the ruler of Californian Kingdom. Economy of old NCR collapse, newly established civilization is being destroyed, BoS moves in and tries to size the power. War between NCR and BoS.
5) same as above but during the game you can still influence the story (like ganag trying to hire you or something like that)

the description is not perfect but you get my point.
i loved the quests from fall 2 such as richard's overdose. More complex and with greater depth.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

St. Toxic wrote: 10) You kill the whole town, thus ridding it of all possible problems.
:yes: wonder how many actually appreciate the genius of this solution.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

I appreciate it PiP. I appreciate it. :dochill: :salute:
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Setup:
For some reason unknown (to us only, not to the one actually playing) the player is somewhere, mebbe its a random encouter, mebbe hes on some cocktwatish quest.
I'd preffer it a a special encouter, since it'd be fun with some encouters that was more than pop culture references.

So, he finds a cave.

Paths:
1.1 He enters the cave
1.2 He leaves

Resolution:
1.1 The player enters, mebbe fights som critters and all is well. A player with high perception will notice a small passage leading deeper into the cave.
The player can:
.....2.1 Go deeper tnto the cave
.....2.2 Leave (see 1.2)

1.2 He laves, the location 'mysterious cave' is now on his world map.

2.1 The pleyer squeezes through the tight anusshaped passage and fins himself in a coplex cave system. Naturallt there are critters there (dangerous enuff to encourage gun toting rather than melee).
If the player uses a firearm the passage will collapse behind him, thus he must find a way out.
Or possibly the passage will always collapse, but making it depending on the players actions seem better.
Nvertheless the player now must explore the cave or he does so on his own free will.
If he explores he has to go through a cave system with various challenges (deep chasms which need rope, radscorpions etc..) a player with no rope will not succeed, and will probably die a horrible death.
They player may find a jan-u-wine old bombshelter that is even pre prewar (the real fifties mebbe). but everything in there is probably useless by now. Managin to open the centuries old door with explosives may give some xp though (as well as collapsing the path if it has not already collapsed).

Well, if they player finally finds the way out he will get the Spelunking perk, and all is well.
Mebbe he can tell some miner about his caveing expedition and get more popular somewhere.
Our Host!