Worrying Oblivion preview

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

What about the CS? Is it still download only?
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote:
MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:It's done. Will be in stores the week of March 20th, both PC and XBox 360.
Would you mind telling us what do you think of the finished product, as game, and speak as a player? Do you enjoy it?
I'm addicted to it. I find it a lot more compelling and fun than Morrowind. Even after working on it for nearly 4 years. YMMV, of course, but I think it's great.
Congrats. Whether the game is to my taste or not (and I can't decide that 'til I've played it), I recognise that a lot of hard work and passion has gone into the game. Now, about Fallout 3... that's your next project, right? :P
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yeah, congratulations are in place considering the amount of work done on Oblivion and what's ahead of them. It'll be a blast! For all of us.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:I'm addicted to it. I find it a lot more compelling and fun than Morrowind.
Greatest news.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:I'm addicted to it. I find it a lot more compelling and fun than Morrowind.
Greatest news.
This coming from a developer... I suggest you try it out yourself.

Do they even release demos these days?
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

No, they don't. You demo it by buying it (or working for a gaming mag).
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

http://tessource.net/content.php?page=O ... n%20Review

That is probrably the most in depth preview i've read thus far, for any interested parties.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I've read the parts which looked interesting, and what worries me is the new law enforcment thingy. Maybe it's because the guy was only level 3, but I do hope it's possible to assassinate people without being level 43.

I mean, the random elf shouldn't resist to a dagger slashing his throat or an arrow in his belly.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I've read the parts which looked interesting, and what worries me is the new law enforcment thingy. Maybe it's because the guy was only level 3, but I do hope it's possible to assassinate people without being level 43.

I mean, the random elf shouldn't resist to a dagger slashing his throat or an arrow in his belly.
It's quite a different thing to try to stealthily kill people in a busy city loaded with guards than it is to try it in an isolated settlement... If you don't get in a killing blow on the first strike, NPCs WILL call for the guards and/or run away.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote:I've read the parts which looked interesting, and what worries me is the new law enforcment thingy. Maybe it's because the guy was only level 3, but I do hope it's possible to assassinate people without being level 43.

It's quite a different thing to try to stealthily kill people in a busy city loaded with guards than it is to try it in an isolated settlement... If you don't get in a killing blow on the first strike, NPCs WILL call for the guards and/or run away.
Is there a silence spell to aid in this?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:

Indeed. But in that review I've read(of course I didn't read all the previews/reviews so maybe it's been mentionned before), the guy says he shot an arrow in a dark elf belly while she was sleeping, but she then woke up and called for guards.

Shouldn't the said elf need to run to the guards to get help? What exactly happens when you attack someone in his house? I mean, it's kind of annoying that, if the first hit didn't reduce your victim to silence, automatically guards are summoned. You should still get, at least, a delay to finish the person.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

Depends how far away the guards are. In the Imperial City, there are a lot of them.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hrm, well I guess I'll have to wait to get any more details...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Susan, you sellout. :chick:
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:Depends how far away the guards are. In the Imperial City, there are a lot of them.
so if the guards are two blocks away and the elven fellow cries for help they won't come since they can't hear him? Good :evil_laugh: Can we tweak-tweak the "hear-distance"?

edit: OK I gotta say this. Oblivion looks rather sweet (apart from post-apoc I also really fancy fantasy setting - point your fingers and laugh at me :) )
so it better NOT have these 'draw' issues and such. Also, somebody bless me with a sizeable donation to upgrade my rig :chew:
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

hooray, can't wait to play Fallout3 :chew:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

VasikkA wrote:Susan, you sellout. :chick:
:(
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

baby arm wrote:No, they don't. You demo it by buying it (or working for a gaming mag).
That's a shame. I'm not gonna buy a game if I'm not certain my computer can run it. The minimum/recommended specs aren't very informative, because PCs have different setups. Sometimes a simple procedure such as turning off shadows can make a game playable, at least for me. I don't consider demos as marketing gimmicks, but rather as tools to test the game on your rig.

As it seems now, I wont be buying Oblivion or the new XBOX, but I hope Bethesda can offer an application or a service in the future to help determine if my atomic era apparatus can run the damn thing without choking too much.
S4ur0n27 wrote::(
:punch:
PiP

Post by PiP »

just turn off dynamic lights, detailed shadows, AAliasing anisotropic filtering, and you're set.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

That's what I've done with every FPS game so far and it's worked out fine, but we're talking about tunnel-like environments in those cases. I'm afraid Oblivion will kill my computer the moment the first rabbit leaps onto my screen.

Bottom line, release a demo or a stick-figure version of the game.
Our Host!