Worrying Oblivion preview

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

S4ur0n27 wrote:What about the story and dialogues though?
Dialogs are MUCH improved, also all of the voice acting is excellent (unlike morrowind) so having full spoken speech is actually very immersive. I feared this though going into the game because I thought maybe the voice acting would be MW quality, not the case.

Also on a par with combat is the quests, the quests are infinitely more immersive and involved. So far i've only done a few thieves guild, a number of Dark Brotherhood and a handful of Mages Guild but there hasn't been a dull one in the bunch. The Dark Brotherhood quests are especially nasty and enjoyable. Also the Thieves Guild is set up a whole lot better. Instead of having a guildhouse you meet at a specified loaction at a specified time. Also the way to advance is to steal goods freelance and sell them to a fence, after you have moved a certain amount of stolen goods you are allowed advancement or "special tasks." The idea of having a meeting place or central base for thieves in the last game seemed to me absurd, it's a nice fix.

Most notably there aren't alot of exploits, gameplay is incredibly balanced. I could go into greater detail but i've got people to kill.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

i've got people to kill
And thats oblivion summed up.
D:
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Morrowind with better graphics.
That's oblivion.

I like the partial physics, the models and skins...
But the scenery gets boring after ten minutes, the loads of bushes, plants and trees are really annoying, and they make every place look the same.

Mostly anyway, there are different locations, like the snowy north..

I joined the fighters guild, and I'm already stuck on the fourth or fifth quest, where I have to get jobs for three guild mates, whch requires for me to get 5 pieces of ectoplasm...

now as far as I remember, I have to find a ghost for that, but it doesn't say anywhere, where the hell I can find a ghost, or crypt, and I've been in a pretty large radius searching for caves and such...

to me it seems the game is full of nonsense quests like that. If you think about it, the 5 pieces you have to find, are probably a lot more worth than getting the three fighters a job in the first place!

And now I can't find my damn horse...
Testicular Pugilist
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Sounds awesome D:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

And now I can't find my damn horse...
a kingdom for a horse?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

a kingdom fulla whores?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

obviously there are critics among the TES fanboys,
which is a tad interesting:
Uranium - 235 wrote:I'm reposting this from another thread, because it has very little to do with the original thread. Derailment and all that.

A lot of people, myself included, have been saying a lot of negative things about this game.

To just use a few examples:

- Guards catching you 'stealing' stolen horses.
- When you walk into crowded taverns, everyone gets up at once and smashes their way to the bartender for drinks.
- Rain through ceilings / overhangs.
- Weather changes through city zones sometimes.
- Blood decals don't ever show up on you in third-person.

The list goes on and on. In fact, this list is growing daily, it's enormous.

Now here's what usually happens. Someone will notice these anamolies and 'glitches' and talks about them on the forum. Most people will respond 'Well it's such a minor thing, it doesn't matter'.

Normally, that'd be true. If everything else was great, not seeing blood on my own armor in third person wouldn't even be worth making a thread about.

However, I don't think the Oblivion 'lovers' really have a good grasp just how disillusioned we've become with this game.

It's not JUST the silly, bloated, user-unfriendly interface.
It's not JUST the voice acting changing completely between topics.
It's not JUST the missing spell effects in third person.
It's not JUST the 64x64 textures stretched across a square mile of visible landscape.

It's all of those things COMBINED that we hate. Everything I've listed so far is a REAL problem with this game. I can go on and on for an hour about stuff like this.

---------------------------------

In FEAR, there's an area at the beginning of the game (ish) where you're on the second floor of a building, and there's a plastic bucket on a crate. You can walk up to the bucket and clock it, sending it flying to the concrete below.

Obviously my destructive side just couldn't leave stuff without knocking it over, so I gave it a whack. Down it went.

I swear to god I almost crapped my pants when I heard it make a very load, distinct *BANG BAM CLUNBONK* when it hit the floor below.

It ACTUALLY sounded like I just threw a plastic bucket fifteen feet onto a concrete floor. I've used those very buckets myself. It sounded GREAT.

After playing HL2 where you can throw a 200 pound wooden crate fifteen feet in the air and have it barely make any sound when it *piff* lands next to you, after ALWAYS thinking 'god this is stupid, why doesn't the crate make a giant *BANG*?', I finally saw REAL sounds match the physics.

It was incredibly minor. It was SUCH a minor thing that it had absolutely no bearing on the game itself whatsoever.

However, some developer said 'We should make objects have realistic sounds when they're being used physically'. So they did it. And not only did I notice, but I STILL remember that little plastic bucket.

Things like THAT make great games.

---------------------------------

I've yet to have ANY experience like that in Oblivion. Every time I exepect to find somewhere where the developers have done that 'little extra' to make the game just that much better, I'm painfully dissapointed, over, and over, and over. There's NO polish on this game at all.

The FEAR developers knew that by going the extra mile and putting in little things like realistic sounds for physics objects would be noticed by some people and appreciated. It helps make a game great.

The Bethesda developers seem instead to believe that none of that junk matters. We're here stating that it DOES matter. We DO notice the fact that every physical object in the game makes a collision sound barely louder then a mouse fart. We DO notice that when you touch things with the 'grabber' tool, everything in the immediate area suddenly freaks out and bounces all over.

THAT is why I find this game such a letdown. The developers put together the graphics, some quests, and they were done. I'd have gladly waited another year for this game (no really, I honestly didn't even know Oblivion was coming out in March... I thought it was like, November anyway) if ONLY so they spent that entire year just doing stuff like making blood on your armor, stopping rain going through roofs, and all sorts of stuff like that.

Given how many people are complaining about 'minor' things like my post here, where the blood barely lasts long enough to notice and I can't even see the damage / aftermath on my OWN ARMOR, a lot of people feel the same way.

We don't think the game is a bad game.

We just feel that there's no polish, as if the developers just didn't care.
Though this post doesnt mention the usual bethsoft flaws such as lack of rpg elements and different ways of solving quests etc etc, its a tad interesting.

This sloppyness is sort of a bethsoft trademark, and even if they manage to stay true to FO in FO3, the small details which made the original fallouts so great wont be there, and I do think that FO3 will be mediocre at best.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Mismatch wrote:I do think that FO3 will be mediocre at best.
Fucking optimist. :drunk:
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

to recapitulate, what a game needs is THE POLISH :aiee:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

That pun is terrible terrible terrible :aiee:
Serious Business.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

OHOHOHO HO HOHOH OH THE POLISH! HO HO OHOHOHO! :evil_laugh:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm like, halfway through the download; there's no way I'm buying that game D:
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

sinner :cry:
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

hm D:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I'm like, halfway through the download; there's no way I'm buying that game D:
I bought it on amazon, but they've taken like 4 days to dispatch it 'soon' and was meant to be delivered today, then they pushed it back to be delivered next week or some dumb shit. So I cancelled it and am downloading it lol.

DOWNLOADING AT 0KBS...UPLOADING AT 0KBS...HELL YEAH!

sorry mr smiley face dude. But I just wanted to play it sooner rather than later. Mabye international release next time huh B)
Last edited by Megatron on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm at 205/39 D: and 2 hours 14 minutes left.
PiP

Post by PiP »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I'm like, halfway through the download; there's no way I'm buying that game D:
now Pete is gonna get your ass, or call the Canadian police more like.
But seriously, can your rig handle Oblivion? Requirements are pretty high, right?
PiP

Post by PiP »

St. Toxic wrote:OHOHOHO HO HOHOH OH THE POLISH! HO HO OHOHOHO! :evil_laugh:
:lol:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, I ordered it today; the price wasn't too bad. I probably need to do a bit of tweaking to get it run properly, but we'll see.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

I will eventually buy it, but I really have little to no faith in bethesda as far as their pc ports go.

There's a good likelihood it will be purchased after I buy another pc.
Our Host!