What new RPG will YOU buy?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

What New RPG will u get?

Dungeon Siege
8%
Morrowind
21%
Neverwinter Nights
21%
I'll just stick to my Fallout, thank u!
29%
Other
21%

Total votes: 24

Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

the guardian wrote: frankly, im sticking with new stratagy games(disciples 2 for instance, realy realy good, and homam 4 ofcourse, also lovely, though diffrent)
sorry, but eww, Disciples 2 is turned based and IMO, turn based suxs compared to real time. Myself is having a wonderful time with Warlords Battlecry 2. A REALLY FUN hero rts.
Yossarian
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Yossarian »

Voted: Other

...namely GURPS Steamtech. It's the next on the list, and Transhuman Space really reignited my faith in their sourcebooks.

Oh, you meant computer RPGs? Sorry, my coal-fed machine can't handle the new ones. [/b]
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Never tried the GURPS systems... are they better than the D20?
Testicular Pugilist
Yossarian
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Yossarian »

I never tried d20...but well-informed friends say its more heroic than GURPS and is quite suited for fantastic role-playing, while GURPS tends to be on the gritty realistic side and is useful for high-tech or SF campaigns. We toned down the realism for our post-apocalyptic campaign, or we would start every new scenario with new characters or the bloody shreds of the last group. You see, in GURPS a rifle shot will tear your arm off, just as it does in real life. A body shot will lead to profuse bleeding, which is funny to describe if you are behind the screen, but will kill off another character. Uhoh...sorry for spamming....

*cowers in shame and fear*
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Dark Xenomorph wrote: How is DS not a rpg? They have skill levels in melee, ranged nature mana and combat mana.
Stat systems and skills don't make an RPG, neither does experience and levelling up. In an RPG, you should be able to play a role and be able to take that role and make it your own. Your character should be able to interact with the world beyond simply, "h4w h4w! M3 m4d sw0rd sk1llz0r r k1llz0r1nk j00 g0bl1nz."

When you think about it, that's all DS is. Mindless combat, which is handled for you. Other than putting a weapon in your munchkin's hand, there's not much in the way of deciding your role either. Like you said, you have melee, ranged, nature and combat magic. That's hardly a system indicative of anything more than running around and killing the monsters in your path.
------------------
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

I have Morrowind. I don't like the look of Dungeon Siege. Neverwinter Nights will be my next one if the reaction from people buying it is okay.

Dungeon Siege has an element of role-playing. You can only play the stock fantasy warrior/magician type characters, I believe. It is not deep, but those are the characters people gravitate to even given a breadth of choice.

They're also the typical character types seen in heroic fantasy literature and film.
Sqawk
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

Heh. Crow is a s3x g0d.

[Shudders from having to type leet.]
Darkworld Ark
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Darkworld Ark »

I've looking forword to Warcraft 3 (It's half RPG), Deus Ex 2 (again, half RPG) & possibly Lionheart (gotta love the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. System :D ). I've already got Dungeon Seige, (great game, but deffinitly not a RPG, it's more of a action game) & won't be buying NwN because I'm not too keen on D&D games (there're too many of them & they don't have guns :x )
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote: Dungeon Siege has an element of role-playing. You can only play the stock fantasy warrior/magician type characters, I believe. It is not deep, but those are the characters people gravitate to even given a breadth of choice.

They're also the typical character types seen in heroic fantasy literature and film.
That's supposed to be a joke, right? Because they are cliche high fantasy classes, that's an element of role-playing?

Back in reality, that's what's known as a "setting element". Choosing what class you play isn't role-playing at all, nor even an element else you might consider the Gauntlet games role-playing, which of course they aren't, and give nearly the same amount of gameplay as DS aside from putting weapons into your character's hands. There is no storyline decisions and quest decisions, it's merely pure hack and slash that's mostly automated. Hell, given that merit, Gauntlet is practically more interactive and it's nowhere near being considered a CRPG aside from the opinion of some addled crack child lying naked in the sewer.
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

It's not supposed to be role-playing. It is role-playing. I assume you're not suggesting that the little kids buying the game are orc-killing warrior-wizards in real life?

Note: I didn't say it was good role-playing.
Sqawk
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

Any game with statistics that you can improve is an RPG nowadays. A RPG isnt a game where you play a role anymore its all to do with stats. Well according to magazines the media etc.

They should just re-name RPGs to Stat Based Games as the title is now very misleading the way the industry tells it. Next theyll be saying how its a FPS because you can shoot things rather than it being a FPS because its using a First Person Perspective.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:It's not supposed to be role-playing. It is role-playing. I assume you're not suggesting that the little kids buying the game are orc-killing warrior-wizards in real life?

And if you've ever played Super Off-Road, you are role-playing a driver. Or Gradius 3, in role-playing a space-pilot. Oh! Don't forget Mario, too! Prime role-playing someone jumping up and down, there.

You're getting more desperate with every post. Stop with the straw men, already.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:It's not supposed to be role-playing. It is role-playing. I assume you're not suggesting that the little kids buying the game are orc-killing warrior-wizards in real life?

I think the difference would be who is deciding on the role there. In DS, your role is something you don't really have a decision in above and beyond what weapon you put in your munchkin's hand.

Chosing a weapon doesn't make for an RPG.
------------------
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

my votes:
morrowind
jagged alliance 3
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

I nevered tried the jagged aliacance series, what are they like?
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

JA2 is the best squad strategy game ever made.
------------------
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I was looking for JA2 the other day, except sierra are putting it in a dvd box and wont be out until late july or something.
:chew:
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

jagged alliance pretty much rules all squad strategy games

makes me wish that sometimes fallout tactics was more like JA2
Kizmiaz
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Kizmiaz »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:JA2 is the best squad strategy game ever made.
Now I'm beginning to get interested.
I haven't played squadbased strategy that much.
In fact I can only recall Commandos which I hated (only played 1:st level), Desperado (which I really liked, could be the western theme) and FO:Tactics of course.
I just wonder what JA is like? Is it worth wasting time on it?
I really haven't even seen a demo or something so I'm really lost on JA.

OK. So now I've seen some screenshots and it looks real cozy.
Last edited by Kizmiaz on Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindly,
Ukhan Kizmiaz
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Just got my hands on some ISO's of NWN, just to see if it's good.
Decided NOT to buy it, since there are a lot of moodkillers in it.....!!

Like, say Fallout, Baldur's Gate and it's sequal and follower had great
2d graphics... they were detailed, and they were really good.

NWN, on the other hand is 3d... now that wouldn't have been bad if
they'd done something good with it.... But they haven't, char-textures
are more detailed in Warcraft III on the units!!!
Testicular Pugilist
Our Host!