Auto Assault NDA Lifted. The verdict....

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Auto Assault NDA Lifted. The verdict....

Post by Mad Max RW »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... t">Company: NCsoft</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... title=Auto Assault">Game: Auto Assault</a>

<p>,,,It sucks. Big surprise there. According to <a href="http://boards.autoassault.com/showflat. ... #Post50519" target="_blank">a post</a> by some guy at <a href="http://www.ncsoft.com/" target="_blank">NCsoft</a>, beta
testers can now freely spill their guts about how a massively
multiplayer car combat role playing game doesn't work. And, in keeping
with MMO tradition, isn't fun at all. Some uplifting quotes I dug
up:</p><blockquote><em>"The physics feel weird, and like you
are driving an RC car. The combat takes almost no skill."</em><p> </p><p><em>"Once agian another exciting idea and horrible execution."</em></p><p><em> "Heh, I stopped working on this beta long ago. I don't foresee a future for this game."</em></p><p><em>"Cheese hurts my pants."</em></p></blockquote>Good stuff. <p> </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://evilavatar.com/">Evil Avatar</a></p>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Cheese hurts my pants?

I took a look at their painfully tough to naviguate forum and it looks some people are quite pleased with the game and pre-ordered it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I played it once and never touched it again, its just like any other MMORPG except your a car instead of an elf. Its just lame, I was expecting it to be kick ass action with thousand other people but you have to kill 10 things in the beginning and LOLed.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

It does?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

If they just remade the first Carmageddon and added a functional multiplayer I'd be happy. Every title had mp, but they all were buggy as shit until I talked some dude at Gamespy into giving Carma3 a shot. (This is before Gamespy Arcade was a festering pile of shit)

That said, there hasn't been a really good car combat game in years. And I never expected Auto Assault to change the current trend.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Just out of curiosity, how does that NDA thing work in practice? Do you have to sign a contract that gives the developer the right to kick you out of the beta and sue your ass?
Interstate '76 was pretty groovy. :afro:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

VasikkA wrote:Just out of curiosity, how does that NDA thing work in practice? Do you have to sign a contract that gives the developer the right to kick you out of the beta and sue your ass?
Interstate '76 was pretty groovy. :afro:
Yeah, basically. Never heard of somebody being sued, though.

And even though I'76 rocked, Carmageddon crushes it. Vigilante 8 for the N-64 was pretty sweet, too. One of the few console games I liked.
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

I actually liked Streets of SimCity. D;

Building your own city and driving into it was pretty fun.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I'm glad you asked, VasikkA. Standard industry practice usually follows a strict, tested regimen. Naturally, there is the odd aberration. First, they inject a unique bioexplosive (a cocktail of specially designed, volatile chemicals held in suspension until needed) into the system of the client and focus of the NDA. Some choose to employ surgically implanted, remote pockets of acids and/or toxins, instead. The bioexplosive variety tends to be the easiest and safest method for all involved, however.

The terms are most often simple, despite the legal padding and hyperbole. Often along the lines of 'Do not talk about <the product>, or we will have to kill you, and let us tell you, the disintegration of your circulatory system is not an especially pleasant way to go. So don't talk about <the product>.' Et al.

Those who do not violate the agreement tend to receive an antidote to the dormant explosives whizzing through their veins. Though some forget. Why, such unfortunates have, in fact, claimed in excess of eighty lives over the past decade through ignorance and fear alone.

Those who do . . . well.

Shed a tear, VasikkA. Shed a tear for the truth. :drunk:
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

This game http://www.warrock.net/ has the best whiacle combat that i have ever tried. Its just cool how one player can drive a tank and 2 players sit on it with machineguns and shot. Gameplay is something like cs but it feels more fresh and requiers less skill before your decent at it.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

While I'm of the mind that all MMO games are junk, this quote seems somewhat suspect.
"The physics feel weird, and like you are driving an RC car. The combat takes almost no skill."
To me the latter part screams: "If I have no life and I devote myself to playing a game a long time. I don't want my dignity being offended when some new player comes in and kills me, because I'm a giant OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone with no other redeeming qualities".
If they just remade the first Carmageddon and added a functional multiplayer I'd be happy.
Yeah, I always really liked Carmageddon, however Carmageddon 2 was my favorite. Carmageddon 3 was a screaming sack of shit. I have no idea what they were smoking when they made that one.

As far as driving around and killing people online. Multi theft auto: vice city, although not perfectly implemented is quite fun. However the lag and desync more or less trivializes combat unless you know how to exploit the lag. Still. It is fun to engage in car chases around the city and occasionally actually kill someone who isn't invulnerable due to lag.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Haris wrote:This game http://www.warrock.net/ has the best whiacle combat that i have ever tried. Its just cool how one player can drive a tank and 2 players sit on it with machineguns and shot. Gameplay is something like cs but it feels more fresh and requiers less skill before your decent at it.
Operation Flashpoint? D:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I heard Mexican Motor Mafia is pretty awesome as far as vehicle warfare is involved.

The first Carmageddon was my favorite. I just loved those pedestrians. And all the hidden jumps to go over the buildings and stuff in the first level were just too much.

The Twisted Metal serie had some good fighting too.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Carma1 + the Splat Pack is the best. And it's the only one they finished. Carmageddon 2 originally had twice as many maps and vehicles. If you remember the singleplayer game the last level you launch a nuke. After that you were supposed to drive back through all these post apocalyptic environments. Many of the unreleased vehicles came out at a later date through fansites. The realistic car damage model is still unmatched to this day. GTA3's is a joke.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Operation Flashpoint?
No its not flash.

Its free to play. Not sure for how long thoe.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It's free for the open beta.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Haris wrote:
Operation Flashpoint?
No its not flash.
Allow me to elaborate:
" Its just cool how one player can drive a tank and 2 players sit on it with machineguns and shot. "

-> is this supposed to be something new under the sun?

But on other news: it still looks mighty good. Downloaded & registered, we'll see if I can bother to test it this weekend.
Geno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Geno »

I pre-ordered it a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile ago but I surely won't buy it and never ask back for my 5$ at EBGames(too lazy, it's downtown... maybe one day). I still haven't gotten into beta and I won't get it since it won't work on Linux and it doesn't seem THAT appealing, I'll see when I FINNALLY get into the stupid beta...

My excitement waned a 2 months ago...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

You've added new words to your vocabulary? D:
Geno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Geno »

What? D:
Our Host!