Here are some Screenies from my Mod/Campaign

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

There's a whole list of them here:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
xkcon
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by xkcon »

Thanks KoC, that's exactly what I was looking for. Ok so the map Location09 will be known as 'Vault 16'
Image[/img]
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Goddamnit, still looks delicious.
Steiner
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Steiner »

Question to the developer:

Is there anything complete for download to put hands on at the moment?
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

I registered on this forum to tell you that your stuff rocks, that this thread needs a general FAQ and that I hope you will finish this so that I don't need to come into your house and kill you in your sleep.

No pressure bro! :D
xkcon
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by xkcon »

Work continues on the Mod slow and steady. It's difficult to always find enough time for the project, but nonetheless the project is still alive. Heres a few more screens:

In my mod I've tried to concentrate on developing/destroying interpersonal relationships with NPCs. You choices in dealing with people will be entirely up to you, whose side are you on?

I would be a fool to ignore what FOT is best at -- COMBAT, so of course there will be a lot of that throughout the mod.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Nice! It must be almost close to completion by now, right? Do you have a project/story description or anything? You've been working on it for so long and with so many maps that it's bound to be better than Fallout 3.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

You mean camp fugly?

Anyway as King said well done as always. I know this is a pain to be asked as a modder but roughly how much is done? And yeah a short FAQ or plot-story or something would be nice.

As long as it doesn't take up to much of yer time :)
xkcon
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by xkcon »

Well at this point tiling is about 96% complete and scripting/triggers is between 75-80% done. Trigger work is the hardest part as the editor is very fickle. Often I will have to add seemingly redundant variables to a script just to get it to work, and sometimes it can take me days just to figure out why it isn't working properly. To date there are approx. 40 maps so far, although some need a little polishing on the tile work. but in general all the maps of my world are in place except for 'Prison Island' (Still stuck in somewhat of a creative block on that map...).

As far as story goes, there's really not just a singular plot but instead 4-5 smaller subplots that intersect throughout the campaign. Of course the original campaign is still in there, and the original maps will be woven into my story lines. The mod is free and open to explore in a non linear way, but you will need to occasionally advance the original campaign to open up different story lines, and if you venture into the wrong place(s) with a low level character too early on, it won't be easy. There is one ultimate goal in the Mod that the player will discover and then have to work for, but I don't want to say too much more than that.

Regarding Fallout 3, I still haven't played it. I took it from the opinions of the hardcore Fallout1&2 fans, that Fallout 3 wouldn't be the game for me, and decided to pass on it (for now anyway!). It's too bad that they didn't make Fallout Tactics what it should've been. I mean all it really needed was a legit speech tree system, and a few other scripting features like Squaddie tagnames, the ability to sleep/pass time and the appropriate triggers, better usage of the GOTOMission trigger and a few other possibilities... Basically the ability to recreate anything that you could do in the original Fallouts. If they would've took the time to do it right, FOT could've been the hit they wanted. Recently I read a story about them making Fallout Tactics 2 For the i-phone (or something like that, I can't remember). It's too bad they couldn't just overhaul the original FOT and give us want we all want...
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Most of the things FOT is missing can be added in through hacking. I am willing to bet that if a team of people joined Jarekfall in his quest to improve FOT, major improvements would start happening.

The problem is many fallout lovers, don't believe they need to be loyal to FOT because in their mind FOT never was a fallout game.

Those who still would try to mod FOT despite their beliefs that it isn't a real fallout game, realize it isn't possible due to the limitations of the Editors and such.

Jarekfall is a skillful reverse engineer, but he wouldn't of done the things he has for FOT if he didn't like the first place.

FOT can be changed to be just as good or greater as modding fallout 2, but we will have to wait and see if jarekfalls feels it is worth it, or someone else sees potential in improving FOT.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Cakester wrote:Most of the things FOT is missing can be added in through hacking. I am willing to bet that if a team of people joined Jarekfall in his quest to improve FOT, major improvements would start happening.

The problem is many fallout lovers, don't believe they need to be loyal to FOT because in their mind FOT never was a fallout game.

Those who still would try to mod FOT despite their beliefs that it isn't a real fallout game, realize it isn't possible due to the limitations of the Editors and such.

Jarekfall is a skillful reverse engineer, but he wouldn't of done the things he has for FOT if he didn't like the first place.

FOT can be changed to be just as good or greater as modding fallout 2, but we will have to wait and see if jarekfalls feels it is worth it, or someone else sees potential in improving FOT.
Seconded and thanks for the xkcon!
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Username wrote:
Cakester wrote:Most of the things FOT is missing can be added in through hacking. I am willing to bet that if a team of people joined Jarekfall in his quest to improve FOT, major improvements would start happening.

Seconded and thanks for the xkcon!
I don't think it's a lack of acceptance, but more a lack of cosnideration .I tried to like Tactics, as did many peeps, it just didn't achieve whatt set out to do. It's basically Fallout without the talking, which most Fallout fans like, so why not just mod F2? :S
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Well what has been suggested is to hack the damn thing so to add dialouge trees and expand on some other shortcomings that weren't added due to it being a Tactical-Combat RPG. Otherwise it is superior to Fallout 2.

The mix of real-time and turnbased is good since sometimes you just don't want to wait for those 20x rats to finish their turns.

Graphics are better, even though 256 has its charm. You can just convert what ever graphics you make into 256 or make them in 256 if you want a modd in 256 anyway.

The addition of driving is pretty cool.

The engine runs smoother and is less prone to crashes.

Easier to modd once hacked due to the better editor.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

As has been explained to you before, if it was so easy to hack it would have been hacked already.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

Retlaw, don't pretend to know what the big boys are talking about.

Yes it is difficult to RE games, even FOT. I care about what CAN be done, not what no one has cared to do.

Quit being a sour suzzy sassy puss, and contribute or gtfo.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I know what you mental midgets are talking about. If it's so easy, go ahead and do it instead of whining about how someone should do it.
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Nobody asked if it was easy to hack it. Nobody I know has even given it a good attempt.

Seriously did your wife just leave you or do you just keep pushing a new stick up your arse every day having crap exit your throat?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Having modded FoT for awhile, I know the limitations. There was a big push by some of us to get Microforte to release the source code, but we were told that it's never going to happen.

The game will not support dialog without additional code written from scratch. All you're doing is whining that someone needs to do it, which isn't a contribution.
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

You can't be blind since you're obviously reading (something), you can't be stupid since you actually claim to know concepts of programing so you must just still be pushing that stick up your arse, spewing crap, right?

Where did I whine about anything or demand that someone does something. Yonmac asked why FT would be better and I told him why I think it would be better if someone could reverse engineer it. Then you come in *whining* about something that didn't happen.
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Well that is what he does.
Our Host!