Civ 4 - buggy piece of shit

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Civ 4 - buggy piece of shit

Post by Mad Max RW »

I went against my instincts on this one and got the special preordered version of Civilization 4. It looks alright, maps are big, and it's pretty much exactly like the previous games. Except I don't remember it crashing to desktop so god damn much. Sometimes it'll happen three turns into a game, sometimes three hours. That alone kills it for me.

The new wonder movies are nifty. Only they tend to violently skip if you look at them wrong.

Don't waste your time with the tutorial. It is so easy to break the scripted events. And even following the shit doesn't guarantee the game won't fuck up.

Computer oppononents frequently get stuck in mountains.

The interface sucks. Most of the buttons are tiny and the icons make no damn sense as to what they are or do.

No throne room/palace.

No more city view. Zooming in close is kinda crap with buildings out of scale.

There's probably more I can't remember. Compared to all the problems people are having in Civ fansite boards, I guess I'm considered one of the lucky few who can actually run it. When everything is working it's quite good. Sound is awesome. The new music is nice (Civ 3 sucked so fucking bad, if anybody remembers). I don't hate the graphics, but they aren't too good either considering how much of a resource hog this thing is. Zooming out to globe view is cool. Some of the included scenarios are awesome. Starting in the Ice Age is brilliant.

I recommend waiting several months before picking up a copy. Let a few patches iron out the numerous wrinkles the reviews conveniently ignore.
Last edited by Mad Max RW on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Note, my computer's stability is not in question here. The stupid game actually gave me a blue screen, which I've never seen before on WinXP, and rebooted the shit.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

Civ 2 was good, alpha centauri was good. there's no reason to buy anything else.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

The game didn't work for me. (Black world, flickering cursor, stuttering audio, cheshire cat leaders..) :sadblinky:
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

Eh.. what did you expect? The outcome was obvious.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

3D graphics are abomination.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

This is the same game they pushed a few months ahead of schedule right? Who would of thunk?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I don't like the childish visual look Firaxis has taken in the new Civs. Judging from the screenshots, it looks like Civ IV has taken another step in this direction.

Civ II is still the best of the series(haven't played Civ IV).
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Civ 3 was such a let down. Everything that was supposedly 'new' and 'grand' in it was already done (better) in Alpha Centauri.

Pfft. I'll be holding my breath for SMAC2 :chick:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Alas, poor Kashluk, death by asphyxiation is a most unpleasant path. :drunk:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Kashluk wrote:I'll be holding my breath for SMAC2
The "SM" part is there just for marketing purposes; has been since 1991.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well I prefer using Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri instead of just Alpha Centauri, because it might be confused with Anal Carvers. In some circles... I think. Ahem.

It's clearer this way allright.

You're right about it, I admit. I think it should be more like BRAC, eh?
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

Kashluk wrote: I think it should be more like BRAC, eh?
Absolutely. I had the same thoughts.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

oh, I had plans to pick a copy of civ as soon as I got back from egypt, mebbe now I wont.
Ive nevar liked the look of civ4, it looks like chit D:
but I know that in the end i'll probably buy it anyways D:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Civilization peaked with 2 and 3 was a last gasp. I had no hope for 4. Much less knowledge that it was coming out.

I want Alpha Centauri :anger: ..please?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Re: Civ 4 - buggy piece of shit

Post by PiP »

Mad Max RW wrote: No throne room/palace.
no pimp-my-ride-for-monarchs? pity, kinda useless, but got used to it.
No more city view. Zooming in close is kinda crap with buildings out of scale.
That (no city view) was easily predictable. However I had hoped they would balance the scale so that it looks stupid neither in normal nor in extreme-closeup zoom. Pity again.

What about the alleged excellent units' animation/look? They say screenshots just don't do it justice.

Does anyone have Alpha Centauri image eDonkey link?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The unit animations are kinda boring. I still haven't gotten out of the ancient era, so it might get better. I don't know.

Page 27 of the manual actually mentions a Palace Screen.

Besides that, I can't urge people enough NOT to buy Civ 4. I've had 3 more blue screens today and only managed about an hour of play. This shit is broken. There's no way for the fanboys or the publisher or whoever to dismiss it. I'm sure there's a patch in the works but it's not gonna come for several months.

There's a funny line on the last page of Soren Johnson's Aftwerwards section in the manual describing all the problems people are having now:

"...They were but a few of a larger group of dedicated volunteers who put up with the terrible crash bugs, gaps in communications, system incompatibilites, invisible terrain, and worse, ..."

Right fucking there. Crash bugs plague even the most up to date computers, ATI owners got the worst with the system incompatibilites, and invisible or black terrain is a common occurrence. It's as if they accidentally released a beta version. In the state Civ4 is currently in it would never have been seriously considered a release candidate.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

How do you get the blue screen doh? Does it just pop up out of nowhere, or are there hints that you'll crash before you do?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It happens randomly. There's no slowdown, I didn't click or initiate anything. Sometimes it'll happen a minute after loading (before completing a single turn) or an hour into a game. That's probably the worst of it. Sudden crashes to desktop are slightly less painful.

The deal with Civ4 is it suffers from huge memory leaks. Unless you have 2 gigs of RAM (like myself) and allocate 3 gigs to your paging file, it probably won't run at all.

There is a group of people (mostly of the blind fanboy variety) who claim to not have any problems. They're lying. There's no doubt about it. Every game released in shit conditions has idiots backing it, claiming all is well. Eventually they're drowned out by the enormity of the problem.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Didn't they test the game before releasing it?
Our Host!