Preview

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Preview

Post by Red »

(Edit: Preview is gone - download the real thing :) )

There's only one more peice missing to the puzzle. Well, 2, but the second's real easy...

A note that the save feature really works! It's not just a fancy menu that doesn't actually do anything. :D
1.5.0.11 version history wrote:- Streamlined loading function
- Fixed bug when loading a new animation of a different type crashing if the animation didn't have the same fields by stopping the animation.
- Fixed bug when trying to get to the next frame when no image is loaded
- Added ZAR saving feature
- Added Tile saving feature
- Added a clever little timer that prevents the renderer to eat up all available resources when doing stuff (like resizing)
- Changed comboboxes into listboxes to later allow editing
- Moved attribute form into a frame on the main form
- Moved bounding box form onto main form
Last edited by Red on Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

*drools*

Oh, sorry bout that, lemme go get a mop...
Red's shizat wrote: - Added ZAR saving feature
- Added Tile saving feature
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...

GIMME!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Looks like it may be very useful Red, very useful. The end of June right? :D

One question on the tiles - will it have the ability to import multiple gifs to be able to make animated tiles? I wanted to make some simple animated sprites with Domin's Spray but was having an impossible time.
Red

Post by Red »

Nope. First version is Import a ZAR.

What you'd need to do is convcert the animated GIF into individual PNG frames (with alpha transpanrancy), then mass-converting them into ZARs within hte FO:T editor (If transparancy doesn't get converted by the provided ZAR conivreter, this will make me need to xode my own, but I'd like to delay that as much as possible), and finally "import" them into the tile.

The space you see blow the vraious lists is reserved for buttons which will allow you to: Move frame "up", "down" within the list, add a new frame, and remove a frame. As a programming principle, I no longer add useless widgets until they are actually coded and useful in my program, to avoid wasting time on useless stuff.

So yes, animated tiles are already supported. i.e. they are already saved properly.

One fo the reasons I don't really want to touch GIFs as you know is it's patent coverage in the US and Germany (and maybe other I don't know about yet). I added support for single frame GIFs in the viewer because it was already provided for me, not because I coded it. And I don't want to spend too much time coding it.

Anyway animated GIFs make no sense for FO:T animations (sprites/tiles) since they only inculude one alpha property (transparancy or not - and at that it uses a palette entry instead of a different layer).

What works now in editing:
  • Bounding box editing
  • Individual frame offsets and picture offset
Working on now:
  • Importing ZARs into Tiles
Once that's done the "Second" part I need to fix is the attributes. Depending on the tile version, these attributes change, so I need to make them change appropriatly. There's a third step though for animated tiles. Animated tile include an individual palette at the end of it's data, so I have to check wether tile animations use the individual tile's palettes, or the one included at the end. Since FO:T uses little animated tiles (in contrast with sprites), I can't deduce this information until I test it. Furthermore, all the tiles' ZARs replicated the palette found at the end. This has several implications which I'll discuss once I get the import option done.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Happy to hear you're almost done. It was worth the wait from what I see.
Keep up the good work, Red! JJ86, I don't know what good it would do you to create animated tiles, as it would have not that many aplications. You can't manipulate them like sprites. Perhaps you mean stuff like the yellow arrow animation you made a while ago?
Red

Post by Red »

Well, it can be interesting for some stuff.. water, goo, lava (ok, that's quite out of place...), you could also do simple animations of weed blowing in the wind... that'd be quite neat actually and add livelyness (though probably kill the computer :P), flashing lights, turning mechanisms (though I guess you'd like those to be able to stop...)

One bummer about animated tiles though is that with all these features I suggested is that tiles need a frame for every "tick" in the game, where in sprites you can specify animations with the frames...
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I think an actual water surface tile would be good if it could be made semi-transparent as well as ethereal. Of course you would want a little bit of animated movement in the tile to make the effect work. Maybe by coupling it with triggers and zones for deeper areas you could make damage to someone who was going in over their head. This could be similar to the electrified ground where if you stayed there too long you would die.
Red

Post by Red »

Yeah, you can do that JJ, however remember that the tiles are all bi-dimentional sprites. This means that at beast it would "cut" properly at the char's wist, with the corner of the tile kind poking him :P. If it's transparant enough (which is entirely possible) it would minimize the effect, but still be quite ugly... As for getting the sprites to look proper the engine would need to be updated for the sprites to support it different water levels (ie: waist up and waist down divisions), or alternativly use 3d models and use a zbuffer. Either way, we can't do that. :cry:
Latest update wrote:- Added Arcanum ART mutliple palette support in GUI
Last edited by Red on Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Not sure what you are talking about there Red, but one major reason that I realized why it won't work is because the surface of the water will pop as soon as you get below it.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Maybe not, JJ86, maybe not. I've noticed that things don't pop unless the "active level" (or whatever you call it) is 5 or more (might be 6 or more, don't remember) height levels below the tile that pops.

E.g. if you have a floor at -14 and another floor at -18, it won't pop if the actor(s) are under the -14 floor (since the actors would be at -17).
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Our Host!