Oblivion: Leaked 20 min gameplay video

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Oblivion: Leaked 20 min gameplay video

Post by Aonaran »

Here are some details on the leaked footage for those who are interested. Also if you are interested you should start hunting, the footage is out there....

The commentary: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=166836 (also displays final skill list)
Another perspective: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=166882
The response: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=166830
Last edited by Aonaran on Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: Oblivion: Leaked 20 min gameplay video

Post by Redeye »

Aonaran wrote:Here are some details on the leaked footage for those who are interested. Also if you are interested you should start hunting, the footage is out there....

The commentary: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=166836 (also displays final skill list)
The response: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=166830
Remember, steam activation is required!
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Oblivion: Leaked 20 min gameplay video

Post by Mismatch »

Redeye wrote: Remember, steam activation is required!
I'll just plug it into my groin socket and we'll be set.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Link to the footage please.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Turns out it is a recreation of the E3 footage. Still flawed in animations and such but from what I hear overwhelmingly impressive. I myself have not seen it so I don't have the link. I'll keep asking around though and if I find something i'll let it be known.

Supposedly it is going to be released on the official site but the timeframe on that is still unclear, hints from Pete indicate that something big is going down on the 3rd, hopefully it will be the trailer (in high, non shit-bootleg resolution).
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Torrent http://www.secondstarpress.com/oblivion.iso.torrent

filefront http://hosted.filefront.com/bendak

It's a huge download. Up to 1gig I think.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Ho ho, muchos gracias.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I just finished watching it. Graphically, Oblivion is very good. Lots of details, nice lighting at day and night, plants and stuff move realistically. All the details in physics and stuff is there. What I don't like is how humans have this blinding glow on their skin thanks to bloom. Character animations such as walking are almost as bad as Morrowind. Talking is good.

The stuff about AI I'm very skeptical about. One of the first things you see is an example of picking up info from conversations between NPC's. It's so obvious they'll script all of this. There's no way around it. Conversations with NPC's had something like Morrowinds crap index dressed up to look like real dialogue. That bribe tool they created which anticipates reactions based on facial expressions is interesting.

Melee combat looked good. Realistically block with shields, tap the attack key for a fast attack, hold it for a stronger one. Switching to third person you see a more aggressive spin attack thing. Magic attack is another key. Fireball or whatever looks like it's coming out of the sword handle almost. I don't like it. I'd prefer a pure magic class that gets benefits with more powerful spells for having both hands free. But this isn't D&D.

The interface kinda sucks ass. There's no resizing the windows to see more stuff, or less depending on what you prefer. I don't have a problem with the compass pointing out nearby dungeons. In Morrowind if you miss a few dozen it doesn't matter, they're all identical. If Oblivion has as many as they claim, and each is hand created, I don't want to easily miss them.
Sneaking was very cool. They added a transparent "eye" icon over the crosshair that changes depending on how well hidden you are and if any creatures see you.

Dungeons looked awesome. The traps such as the iron maiden thing, piles of logs, big spikey wood dealies hanging from ropes, all acting well through the use of physics.

What I didn't see was a populated town. The only town or city you see has 2 people in it (where you overhear a conversation) and the chick in the house who sets her dog on fire. I don't know if it's because of the mods I installed, but theres a shit load of NPC's crawling all over the cities in Morrowind.
Fast travel seems to be the same as Baldur's Gate. If they throw random encounters in there I'll be very pleased. But I don't remember hearing anything about it.

Pretty good overall, but you can never trust E3 videos. For all we know every single frame is staged.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Fallout 3 as Oblivian with guns - yay or nay? D:
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

One thing to keep in mind is that this footage is months old. Still i'll hold back on further commentary until after i've completed the download myself and watched it.

** Alright, finally watched it. Far exceeded my expectations in every way. Weakest point is in fact animations (only a few are faulty, most look quite good) but like I said previously they have had months to polish it. The combat looks absolutely amazing, especially in the first half of the demo. Most definitely worth checking out.

Also as a side note this will serve as a great tool for those who chalked the innitial press reviews of this footage as "prerelease bullshit" to finally make a definitive stand on. Don't know how it will affect others buy I was impressed.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Argh, the download program on the filefront website doesn't work with my job's network ;(
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Mad Max RW wrote:For all we know every single frame is staged.
Final Fantasy?
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

Mad Max RW wrote:IOne of the first things you see is an example of picking up info from conversations between NPC's. It's so obvious they'll script all of this. There's no way around it.
Sorta kinda. There's a system of statements and responses defined by the designers. Based on the player's progress through the game and the location, an NPC might say something related to a quest. The other NPC has a list of responses they can choose from, and it goes back & forth like that. It's all conditional.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I hope it's extensive.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Did the guy who leaked it got a promotion? :drunk:
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Well, it's from a DVD that was sent to retailers and press. Someone (or multiple people) who received it ripped the DVD & started posting the video online. So it wasn't SUPPOSED to get out -- we prefer to release stuff like that ourselves, so we can be sure to have high quality versions -- but it's awful hard to get the cat back into the bag once it's out :)
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I can see slowdown in the game, pwned. Anyways, it looks alright except combat isn't that detailed. I think that would be a higher concern than being able to lift handcuffs off a wall. The radaint AI seems pretty useless and sounds like a big waste of time since no one gives a shit about what a person is doing in their room. Unless the demo was set up to show the different radiant shit really fast for the audience, she looks like a crack addict.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I can see slowdown in the game, pwned. Anyways, it looks alright except combat isn't that detailed. I think that would be a higher concern than being able to lift handcuffs off a wall. The radaint AI seems pretty useless and sounds like a big waste of time since no one gives a shit about what a person is doing in their room. Unless the demo was set up to show the different radiant shit really fast for the audience, she looks like a crack addict.
Crack addict?
Excellent.
Hopefully Radiant AI will allow me to actually affect the world by
selling gobs of skooma. It'd be cool if there was a
"running around on drugs" animation like a Morrowind version of the Den.
The lizard guys would look especially funny as crackheads.

Combat, Diplomat, Thief paths? How about Drug Lord?
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

It's the demo we gave at E3. It's a series of sequences made to show many different aspects of the game in a short period of time (about 20 minutes). Some of the sequences (like the woman in the bookstore) were specifically set up for the demo. The PC was also pretty much invulnerable and with maxed-out stats, and all the enemies were seriously nerfed. Plus the video was made almost 5 months ago :)
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Oblivion has crack hoes?

NOW I'm interested!
Our Host!