Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Cabal on Teen Rating View next topic
View previous topic
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[ -> N/A]

There's another thread of interest on the BIS forums about Lionheart and shooting for a Teen Rating. In the thread, Why shoot for a T-rating?, Cabal states the sad reality of the business:

The publisher ultimately requests what rating a game should aim for based on a whole slew of factors that I am only partially privy to. When a publisher submits to the ESRB, they hope for a specific rating and then the ESRB rates the game. Depending on what comes back, the publisher may have to decide to change things to get a different rating. Things like adult language, blood, affect the rating, and these are usually placed on the box with the rating. . The ESRB sets some pretty specific guidelines to differentiate 'E' from 'T' from 'M'. The more realistic your blood and giblets get, the more mature your game gets.

Obviously, getting the M rating and excluding the teen market takes a chunk away from sales. But there is no reason that Lionheart has to be a gore-spattered fragfest to be a good fantasy rpg. Personally, I don't think there is a strong correlation to the amount of blood you have and the quality of the game (exception FPS and pure combat games). Lionheart will have combat, there will be violence on the level of other fantasy RPGs, and we'll put in appropriate detail to make the game better.

Okay, here's the irony for those who missed it. Lionheart was originally supposed to be a combat focused RPG, right? What do you want to bet that they were always shooting for that Teen Rating?

Anyway, it's a neat thread for those of you who actually like a touch of gore when killing something!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Lionheart was originally supposed to be a combat focused RPG, right? What do you want to bet that they were always shooting for that Teen Rating?

Damn those BIS people. Always conspiring against the average Joe Consumer. I bet they have something to do with the Illuminati as well.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anonymous wrote:
Damn those BIS people. Always conspiring against the average Joe Consumer. I bet they have something to do with the Illuminati as well.

Okay, anyone else miss the point?
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Okay, anyone else miss the point?

*Raises hand rather sheepishly*

Uhhh... I don't think I got it sir.

Are you saying that Lionheart won't be a combat-oriented RPG? Are you saying this tone-down to "T" BS is really what they were aiming for? And that the game will actually have some more dialogue or something instead?

*cringes and awaits response*
(Hopes he doesn't have to go see the headmaster and get cained again)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cabal said that gore was important for first person shooters and combat heavy games. Lionheart was originally going to be that way, only with a Teen Rating.

That's irony.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic