Wasteland Merc 2 Released

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Haris wrote:Hack when i first played fallout 2 i met deatclaws at level 1 and enclaves partol. And you can gain level 2 in Arroyo, but not all people do. And i found it tedoius and frustrating to travel well at least till i got to san fran and got shit load of power armors and miniguns at level 1.
Then you kind of suck at Fallout. In Fallout 2 you're clearly told to "Find Vic in Klamath", yet for some reason you choose to travel way to the south of the Den and run into deathclaws instead. Excuse the designers for not taking that into account.
Haris wrote:And when it comes to traveling and finding town. Well that just one more of mmorpgish feelings. To explore the worldmap and learn where everything is. Scripting npc that tells you where everything is wouldnt have been hard but we just didnt want it in the mod.
Hmnmm, fair enough, the bad thing being that Fallout's map is kinda hard to explore, especially with all the encounters, but I guess that's easier at a higher level
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

We could make a tiny file that you add to the mod that gives you starting equipment from the start of the game depending on what skills you chose. For example if you taged outdoorsman skill you get 20 raw meats and 20 water flasks. Or if you taged small guns you get mauser from start. Or if you taged trowing you get 5 glowballs. That way you would start with 3 starting items depending on taged skills. Thats kinda mmorpgish to and would fly in this mod. But at the moment we dont feel like doing that at all.

And it would have been 1kb 1 second time download file.
Then you kind of suck at Fallout. In Fallout 2 you're clearly told to "Find Vic in Klamath", yet for some reason you choose to travel way to the south of the Den and run into deathclaws instead. Excuse the designers for not taking that into account.
Yea first time i played Fallout 2 i sucked at playing Fallout 2. That really isnt wierd at all.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Haris wrote:We could make a tiny file that you add to the mod that gives you starting equipment from the start of the game depending on what skills you chose. For example if you taged outdoorsman skill you get 20 raw meats and 20 water flasks. Or if you taged small guns you get mauser from start. Or if you taged trowing you get 5 glowballs. That way you would start with 3 starting items depending on taged skills. Thats kinda mmorpgish to and would fly in this mod. But at the moment we dont feel like doing that at all.
I think that's kind of missing the point, but sure.
Haris wrote:Yea first time i played Fallout 2 i sucked at playing Fallout 2. That really isnt wierd at all.
No, though your method of sucking puts you in the category of people who reached Shady Sands in Fallout 1 and decided to kill everyone because "that's what you do in CRPGs"
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

My problem isn't so much the survival portion, more the fact that you're given absolutely no initial information in where to go and what to do to most quickly start on some kind of career path. It's all achieved by stumbling around the wastes, which is kind of boring currently.

Doing that on your own terms is fun. Doing it because you have absolutely fuck-all going for you, not knowing where or what you should be working towards is not. Wandering around for extended periods of time doing that, simply isn't fun.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

http://madbrahmin.bonusweb.cz/index.php ... s&id=merc2

Now they even have a pol about it on the side. And thats one huge WM2 page.
drackill
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drackill »

Ok I don't post often on this forum, I just read a lot but Haris, a lot of people have said the same thing, your dialogue sucks, yeah the concept is great and the ideas that you have pushed to strive for are great. Just because you have had cool new graphics etc added doesn't change the fact that little thought has been given about the actual implementation of it all. The only thing that really ruins it for me is the fact that the start has no story or drive and that the dialogue looks like it's been written by a 12 year old. If you redid all these then it would no doubt be something spectacular.

Heres an example of how to simply start the game off, you don't want a a huge story or anything as you stated off earlier, so why not simply start the character off at the mercenary hq or what ever in some barracks, perhaps have an npc come up to you, wake you up and initiate some interesting dialogue which can explain the principle points of who you are, and what you do. It would make so much more sense as a mercenary than starting in an empty metal room.

Also it appears you seem to be insulting potential players of your mod, this isn't really a sensible thing to do as these people will no doubt get offended by trying to offer constructive criticism, unfortunately you seem to protest with thinking that your mod is the bees knees, and it makes you look rather immature and "stupid". I suggest taking these comments and seeing if they can actually help improve your mod, that is if you are actually interested in improving it, or leaving it as a half arsed attempt.

Good luck and I hope to see your mod improve.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Haris...Did you end up using my loading screen, or stick with the ugly green text? I'll probably download and install it this coming weekend.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

My mod is the bees knees. :bored: What ever that means. Oh and i aint sucking up to people just so they would play my game. Its not like i am getting payed if they play it. There is way to mani that think that cs sucks and is one of lamest mods. Still its played by millions. And this comunity made The Fall creator go berserk and he gets payed if people play his games. So whats there to stop me from insulting people that act rude and insultive in first place towards me?

To ExtremeRyno: No we used the green text. It looked brighter when put inside the game. The other one was hardly visible.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Ehue, 'tis a Sad Day when constructive criticism falls into the same boat is offense . . . :drunk:
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

So I've only actually killed a few things so far. I just get so frustrated just stumbling around not being able to do or buy anything that I've killed maybe a few rats.

Those don't even give you experience it seems. Which may on a common sense level seem reasonable, but this is fallout. It was one thing to make fallout non linear and include interesting features like a crafting system, but I mean holy shit son. How the hell am I supposed to dig myself out of this squalid hellhole of a life my character has if I can't advance myself beyond stomping rats to death and shucking the meat from their pathetic little corpses?

Furthermore. Just give it up about the fucking dialogue and story. This is a freeform nonlinear variant of fallout, why don't you go wank yourself while reading an Anne Rice novel if the dialogue and story isn't to your standards.

I think we've established as an overwhelming majority, that the game itself is critically flawed in areas despite being good enough to complain bitterly about the fact that it isn't quite right. I'd prefer some kind of compromise on making the game less unforgiving and more functional.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Those don't even give you experience it seems. Which may on a common sense level seem reasonable, but this is fallout. It was one thing to make fallout non linear and include interesting features like a crafting system, but I mean holy shit son. How the hell am I supposed to dig myself out of this squalid hellhole of a life my character has if I can't advance myself beyond stomping rats to death and shucking the meat from their pathetic little corpses?
If you want to advance faster just use first aid and doctor on your self for healing. You gain 75 + 150 exp. Can be done even after a rat fight. And 20 cooked meats can be sold for 1500 bottle caps later on when brotherhood establishes their base. In the mean while trade in raw meat for anything you need in the shops.

We have tested it and if you chose a non fighter char the game becomes even eazier in the long run. I am curently playing with str 4 and int 7 char not gifted and has 2 educated perks. Giving me 22 skill points per level. It was a bit harder to start with that kinda char but now i am able to raise alot more crafting skills and get more decent equipment.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Kharn wrote:
Haris wrote:Yea first time i played Fallout 2 i sucked at playing Fallout 2. That really isnt wierd at all.
No, though your method of sucking puts you in the category of people who reached Shady Sands in Fallout 1 and decided to kill everyone because "that's what you do in CRPGs"
I did that. :sadblinky:
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Haris wrote:If you want to advance faster just use first aid and doctor on your self for healing. You gain 75 + 150 exp.
Another tedious way of gaining XP

YAY!
Haris wrote:We have tested it and if you chose a non fighter char the game becomes even eazier in the long run. I am curently playing with str 4 and int 7 char not gifted and has 2 educated perks. Giving me 22 skill points per level. It was a bit harder to start with that kinda char but now i am able to raise alot more crafting skills and get more decent equipment.
Decent equipment?

And what do you do with that decent equipment?

YOU FIGHT

OOOPS

Is the concept "non fighter char" REALLY that hard? If you're going to make a combat-hack and slash-version of Fallout that's fine, even though people won't like it generally, but could you please stop denying what it is

By the way, I don't speak Czech, but that poll on MadBrahmin doesn't seem to be going too well for you
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Another tedious way of gaining XP

YAY!
Its not tedious. You can gain first level doing that after 4 encounters. And you dont even have to kill them.
Decent equipment?

And what do you do with that decent equipment?

YOU FIGHT

OOOPS
Yes you can get weapons and ammo, but with equipment i ment allso fishing rod, pick axe, drill, books to advance your skills, lockpicks and so on.
By the way, I don't speak Czech, but that poll on MadBrahmin doesn't seem to be going too well for you
Its going just fine. Opinion is devided on those that love it and think its a super mod and the best thing that ever happend to fallout and those like you that dont get it. And thats what it say in the botom of the pol. I dont get it. The midle that leading says its not fallout but you wont find a better mod. And than there is 2 minority opinions one saying i get it and dont like it and one saying its has its flaws but its great.
Is the concept "non fighter char" REALLY that hard? If you're going to make a combat-hack and slash-version of Fallout that's fine, even though people won't like it generally, but could you please stop denying what it is
Its not fallout stile non fighter mod, as in having movie like situation i admit that. There is no crosing over Killian or Gizmo stile quests. And i never stated or promised that mod was gonna deliver anything like that. But you are able to play a char that does not focus on combat and still gain alot of levels and it even gets eazyer later on with that kinda char. You dont have to have ST:10 and AG:10 to survive. Its eazyer with that kinda char first 5 levels than it becomes alot harder with that kinda char than if you chose charisma/inteligence based char.

--------------------------------
To Nicolai: Yea i did that to. But i was 14 years old when fallout 1 was released and i first played it. So its really not that wierd.
Last edited by Haris on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I was roleplaying myself, so I suppose that I was obliged to wipe out Shady Sands. D:
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Haris wrote:Its not tedious. You can gain first level doing that after 4 encounters. And you dont even have to kill them.
Right. Makes sense :?
Haris wrote:Yes you can get weapons and ammo, but with equipment i ment allso fishing rod, pick axe, drill, books to advance your skills, lockpicks and so on.
Hardly my point, ey.
Haris wrote:Its going just fine. Opinion is devided on those that love it and think its a super mod and the best thing that ever happend to fallout and those like you that dont get it. And thats what it say in the botom of the pol. I dont get it. The midle that leading says its not fallout but you wont find a better mod. And than there is 2 minority opinions one saying i get it and dont like it and one saying its has its flaws but its great.
"you won't get a better mod." Duh, together with WM 1, this is the only total conversion mod out there. Big shock, top of the pile made out of one, huh?

And stop trying to blame the fact that people dislike your mod on "not getting it". Hell, in any case, a well-made mod is one people get more-or-less normally. Besides which, I got it fairly well, but could get no enjoyment out of numerous stupid fetch-quests and annoying encounters. I get it, I just think it's shit. Other people can go "I don't get it", which generally means this kind of mod is just not for them. Which is what I've been saying. I don't think the Fallout community was waiting to see their game raped into a weak Diablo/WoW craft-MMORPG simulator, especially not since it's also a bit weakly done, overal.

So it's...31% who like it more or less, 35% who kind of go "meh, it's the best there is, since there is only one" and 33% who didn't like it, either getting it or not. Pardon me for not being impressed by your waves of fans there, boy.
Haris wrote:Its not fallout stile non fighter mod, as in having movie like situation i admit that. There is no crosing over Killian or Gizmo stile quests. And i never stated or promised that mod was gonna deliver anything like that. But you are able to play a char that does not focus on combat and still gain alot of levels and it even gets eazyer later on with that kinda char. You dont have to have ST:10 and AG:10 to survive. Its eazyer with that kinda char first 5 levels than it becomes alot harder with that kinda char than if you chose charisma/inteligence based char.
Well, good, as long as we're honest on that

Poorly balanced, though.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Kharn is just angry because Haris didn't ask Odin's permission before making his mod.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Spazmo wrote:Kharn is just angry because Haris didn't ask Odin's permission before making his mod.
Ehehehehee

Maybe I should let the subject lie, though, as Haris isn't really accepting any criticism. That makes it a bit pointless

By the way; NMA covered Wasteland Merc, but DaC hasn't done one bit on Black Steel. How do you like them apples? :drunk:
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

DAC doesn't like your PUNY mods!
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Kharn wrote:By the way; NMA covered Wasteland Merc, but DaC hasn't done one bit on Black Steel. How do you like them apples? :drunk:
Yeah, we also haven't got anything on:
  • New Dawn
  • Stalker
  • Roadkill Warriors
  • Wasteworld Civ 3
  • Ashes of the Apocalypse
  • Sandy Wastes
  • Bourgeoisie
  • Landing in the Middle of Nowhere
... at least, not lately and those are all things NMA has posted since 2nd August. It's a tragedy, really.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Our Host!