Wasteland Merc 2 Released

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Wasteland Merc 2 Released

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Mod -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game">Game: Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game</a>

<p>
</p><p>In a triumph for the <em>Fallout</em> modding community, I am pleased to announce that the <strong><em>Wasteland Merc </em></strong>2 mod for <em>Fallout 2</em> has been officially released! You can <a target="_self" href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/dload ... ownload</a> the Mod exclusively from <a target="_self" href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover</a>. <strong>Haris</strong>, the Project Director, sent the following along:</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p><em><span class="postbody">Features: 19 new locations, custom weapons, missions, dialogs and more. This is not an add-on, it is a campaign all its own.

What the mod is about: In this mod you are not the chosen or vault
dweller, but a simple mercenary warrior that goes around the wasteland
looking for missions/jobs. All missions/jobs are redoable and are
intended to be done multiple times. In this sequel of wasteland merc we
have taken MMORPG elements to the max in the fallout 2 setting. You are
forced to balance your skill points betwen crafting skills
(outdoorsman, repair, science, doctor), thieving skills (sneak,
lockpick) and combat skills or you can't make it that far.

Here are some of the new features in Wasteland Merc 2:
*Mining with the outdoorsman skill by using a pickaxe or drill on rocks in mines.
*Crafting with the science, repair and doctor skills in your factory.
*Fishing in water on coasts with outdoorsman skill by using a fishing rod.
*Boxes in combat locations drop random loot and are locked and sometimes even trapped.
*Cooking by using raw food on any of the ovens.
*A huge number of missions with only money as the reward.
*More Advanced Black market locations that will help you transport
ore by giving you certificates and alot more overpriced resource and
experience sellers. There's even a doctor npc who can advance your
stats for big money.
*You have to hunt for food or you'll have nothing to heal with. So
alot of game play will take place in the wasteland hunting for brahmin,
rats and geckos then cooking their meat.
*Enemies that are armed with guns and carry ammo will not drop
them if they die. The only way to loot their ammo and guns is if you
kill them in really special ways. This makes explosives and laser
weapons more useful.

**Installation: Backup your fallout 2.exe and "fallout 2/data"
folder and replace them with ones that come with this mod and you're
ready to go. Also if patch000 file exist in your folder rename it to
something else or move it to another folder. We are aware that there
might be some minor bugs in the mod and we will fix those if we ever
make an update for this mod.

Credits:

Haris Tojaga:
Direction, Production, Mapping, Engineering
Contact at <a href="http://wastelandmerc.atspace.com/" target="_blank">http://wastelandmerc.atspace.com/</a>

Miran Tojaga:
Lead Scripting
Contact at <a href="http://wastelandmerc.atspace.com/" target="_blank">http://wastelandmerc.atspace.com/</a>

Carl Ratcliff:
Lead Dialog Writer, Proof Reading
Contact at <a href="http://pcgames.atspace.com/" target="_blank">http://pcgames.atspace.com/</a>

John Dunn:
Lead Custom Graphics Artist
Contact at <a href="http://www.john.dunn.dsl.pipex.com/port ... eport.html" target="_blank">http://www.john.dunn.dsl.pipex.com/port ... rt.html</a>

Simon Lindmark :
Additional Custom Graphics
Contact at <a href="mailto:actionboy@bredband.net">actionboy@bredband.net</a>

Big thanks to the people who volunteered for the static talking
head pictures. In return we promised not to give out any personal
information about them and all their names in-game are fake and
fictional. Their in-game dialog has no connection to their real life
personality.

P.S. We hope you have as much fun playing this mod as we had making it.</span> </em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>You can download the Mod <a target="_self" href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/dload ... 8">here</a>. Also, if you find any bugs or would just like to discuss it, please go and post your comments <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12798" target="_self">here</a>. </p>
<p>Great job Haris and Company! </p>
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Yes, nice to see a mod that gets released on a decent timeframe.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

If anyone gives this a shot, I'm interested in their opinions on the fishing, mining and all that. We're still undecided whether we want to include any of this (though mainly the fishing and cooking) in a "Real" Fallout game or whether it'd be taking the game down a path where it shouldn't be going. Certainly not removing stimpaks from the game but the cooking is "something interesting" which a few people might get a kick out of. Given it'd just be a matter of nicking Haris' scripts from this mod, it's not hard to implement either.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Cooking and mining and crafting in games is higly addictive. :chew:
DR490N
SDF!
SDF!

Post by DR490N »

Cool !!! I was waiting for this mod, Haris. After the frustration of Metal Heart, I wanted a post-apo feeling for this summer without having to replay Fallout again for the nth time. I found the first pretty funny, I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too. Thanks !
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Hell yes. I just thought I'd give DAC a look before I go to bed to see if there was any WM2 news, it's a nice weekend surprise.
lisac2k
SDF!
SDF!

Post by lisac2k »

Nice! I'll have to try it as soon as possible ;)
Tenkoy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tenkoy »

Looks very interesting, Haris. I remember when you released The Second Apocalypse, bravo on Wasteland Merc Two. I have the first one installed, but haven't had time to play it, I'll definately set aside some time to play part two.
Mr_Newbie
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr_Newbie »

the cash you can make is insane! if you pick the locks at a place called the shelter. the best thing about it is you can keep going back :)
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Eather your cheating, lieing or you played insanly since the mod was released last night and just raised lockpicks and sneak. And even than i dont know how you would go by the turets.

Edit: Well i know how you did now. It was buged

http://wastelandmerc.atspace.com/WM2cyborg%20Patch.zip 0.6kb

"Wasteland merc 2 Cyborg Patch
Instalation:
Put file 00000036.PRO that comes in this patch in to your fallout2/data/proto/critters folder. You dont have to restart your char for this fix to work. "

This same bug happened when i first time was about to zip togheter wasteland merc 1 and Alien queen proto dissapeared making her in to regular alien. That time i was lucky and i noticed it missing right before patching but than again we only had 2 critter files than. Now there was more of them.
Last edited by Haris on Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Wow. This is mod isnt very well thought up.

No starting items and no bottle caps. No explanation as to why you start in a alien infested parabol littered .. place .. lots of radiation from the get go and monsters that can whack you silly easily. After leaving this .. place .. I found myself dying to dog encounters, running from spore plants and canibals and farming rat meat for a few bottle caps a pop. The towns are just filled with quest givers, no conversation at all and no directions for anything. However do I craft or cook, mine or fish!? There are no explanations for how things work anywhere in the readme and seemingly neither on the webpage or in the game.

After about 30 minutes of this mod I stopped. Might try again later. I guess if I farm rats for a few hours I might be able to actually buy something and then start exploring the map... but I doubt im gonna get back to it. Seems silly and hacky-slashy.

Had your character at least started with a knife or a gun, or just well... anything, it might be abit of fun. Also background info is lacking in large amounts, not that I demand a whole intricate Fallout story line, but could someone at least tell me why the heck I wake up in a wierd high tech .. place .. filled with dead people and aliens? Also, why am I the only one aliv?! No clues, no explanation. No directions. Seems like the core of this game.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

http://wastelandmerc.atspace.com/WM2cyborg%20Patch.zip 0.6kb

Here is a tiny patch for Wasteland merc 2.

"Wasteland merc 2 Cyborg Patch
Instalation:
Put file 00000036.PRO that comes in this patch in to your fallout2/data/proto/critters folder. You dont have to restart your char for this fix to work. "
Filogreek
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Filogreek »

I actually liked the whole survival thing going on in this mod, after finally scrounging up enough caps for a 9mm mauser it felt so rewarding :joy:
But yeah, it would be alright to start with.... something. Even a shiv :drunk:
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Well here is a tip, look around in peoples houses and help your self to their stuff. That should get you some basic equipment.
Mr_Newbie
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr_Newbie »

well here's something for you, theres no :censored: ing stuff in there houses.
taltiren
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by taltiren »

This mod is sort of a disappointment. Instead of trying to create the grim, devastated, technologically devoid post apocalyptic world, the mod starts out in some kind of alien infested place with flashing lights and giant satellite dishes. Going back to the starting town in the first Merc mod and being started in the middle of it, completely surrounded bt aliens, was the absolute WORST part of the already flawed game. Haris, I really do appreciate what you guys do, but just adding tons of aliens and impossible locations makes the game neither fun nor interesting.

If I were going to design a game, I would start the game out with some kind of plot that the player may or may not choose to follow through. A mercenary is hired to fight for others, a simple plot could be the merc being double crossed and looking for answers concerning why his entire band was killed for nothing and who was responsible. Something simple. I'm not saying the plot needs to be clever and original, it just needs to be something more than starting out surrounded by the dumbest critter in FO2, in some kind of unrealistic bunker with no weapons and no direction whatsoever.

Again, I am glad that people are making mods like this, and I love to play them, but there seems to be a total lack of sophistication in most of them that render them nearly unplayable.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

How is the first area imposible. There is an exit grid right behind you. Use it. Your not suposed to fight those. Brotherhood comes later and cleans it out and turns it in to there base with tons of stuff to do there. Just play it a bit longer and discover all the stuff we implemented before bashing a mod next time. And look a bit harder. In Haven there is stuff in one house worth enough to get you 800 botlecaps. And in slaver town there is hidden place with some stuff worth around 800 botlecaps. Thats enough to get you a gun and some ammo. And my best advice is to chose close combat from start and hunt for cows, geckos and rats. That makes it alot eazyer to kick start the game.

And this is not a mod where you at level 5 have power armor and all best things you can get. It is mod that gives you a reazon to raise your char to level 70-90.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I'll try it out as soon as I get back to my computer. In about 3 weeks, that is. I can just congratulate you for finishing the mod. Good job guys.

On the realism note, that stuff was optional in games like Ultima 7. It was fun to try out, but I wouldn't want to eat, sleep, shit and wipe regularlly by myself as that just isn't really essential in a game experience. But I'll give it a shot before I put on my whine mode.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

My first encounter with this version of WM really disappointed me, like the other guy. I was cold-cocked by the introduction into some metallic installation type place, irradiated no less, rife with aliens that ran me down and kicked my ass. After staggering away, barely surviving that encounter, I was immediately killed by an encounter with some wild dogs.

Yeah. That wasn't a very nice introduction to the game. And I hate radiation. It means right off the bat I have to go find some goddamned anti rad medication and that's -not- my idea of fun. I hated getting irradiated enough as it was in Fallout 1, It's fortunate you could plan meticulously for that one foray to the glow and that was it. This is unavoidable.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

I actually tested and i ended up with 3000 radiation level before my char died. You get 100-300 radiation depending on how long you linger inside the first map. Well you can walk with 300 radiation pretty much forewer and nothing bad will happen. I did for 1 year and nothing happend. So why people freak out about it is beyond me.

I guess its a bit like those that say "Fallout 1 sucks, i started it and some rats killed me inside a cave and i turned the game off never to play it again."
Our Host!