Morrowind with Guns

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Frankly, Aonaran, your argument(s) is/are (a) rehashing at best. Others have attempted to evangelise in the past. We are still here. Your intent to 'dissolve any fears the fallout community might have' regarding Bethesda's plans for Fallout 3 is the mark of hopeless optimism.
Aonaran wrote:heh,
Heh.
Aonaran wrote:perhaps you are all cynical to the point of retardation?
How kind.
Aonaran wrote:just putting something other than poison on the boards on that particular subject.
I suspect that if any of the 'retarded cynic' number paid a visit to Bethesda's forums (for example) and waylaid the community with a smattering of our insidious and plentiful 'poison' (to balance the incessant fellatio somewhat, of course), our agents would be banned rather quickly. Cited as 'trolls' and so on.

Though I cannot see you being barred from DAC for having an opinion outside the mob mentality, there's that same absence of point, as we are all closed of mind from a variety of starting points. 'Tis the nature of Internet debate and opinion.

Now, tradition dictates that we both go our separate ways, muttering under our breath about how irreconcilably stupid the other is. I think tradition can get stuffed, so I suggest you do that, while I smirk knowingly. Cheers.
Aonaran wrote:heh,
Heh. :drunk:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Morrowind with Guns

Post by Killzig »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:That screenshot has NOT been through photoshop or any other photo editing software, except to add the copyright notice.
Oh, so you mean the game IS supposed to look like a non water resistant watch that's spent two days at the bottom of my pool? Cool.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Well gee that's how the park looked to me when I rode a bike through it one Sunday noon. Must be all those raytube burns from CRT monitor radiation I've suffered.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

(Hehs Knowingly)
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Killzig wrote:
MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:That screenshot has NOT been through photoshop or any other photo editing software, except to add the copyright notice.
Oh, so you mean the game IS supposed to look like a non water resistant watch that's spent two days at the bottom of my pool? Cool.
It took several years of rendering hardware advancements to make that smeared mess possible :dance:
I miss the good ol' USSA.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Aonaran wrote:What i'm referring to, to respond to your comment Vas, is realism in the interaction with your environment so that you can really believe you are in this fantasy world the developers have created, not a mirror of real life.
If you don't really believe you are in this "other world" then what is the point in playing?
What you're foaming about is eye candy, not substance. To me Fallout is an RPG, not a simulation, so shiny armors and realistically clanging swords are of secondary importance. In fact, they have smaller effect on believability than an interesting story, well-planned quests and the character system. Instead you're saying that you don't mind doing Fed-Ex quests as long the game looks nice. Immersion is inside your head, not on the screen.
I'm not going to do a point by point arguement trying to dismantle everything you've said so that you can then in turn do the same and break apart any meaning the whole might have had.

Yup, no need to do that. I just picked the juiciest parts of your earlier post.
My original purpose in starting this thread was to try and dissolve any fears the fallout community might have that Bethesda hasn't improved since Morrowind and that FO3 would just wind up being "Morrowind with guns." Obviously that has yet to be seen but from my perspective I don't think that is how things will turn out.
I hope you're right.
St. Toxic wrote:All speculation is pointless, be it positive or negative.
Then what's the point of having a forum? I don't care if the developers wipe their arses with our opinions, but we can still discuss. Right?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I'll say it a thousand times: Those are mighty impressive graphics. Now, let's just see it from a different viewpoint. ;)
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

there's more than one side of a case, ya'know, let's see'em all!
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I'll take my foam over your froth, but I don't think that gameplay and story have to be in opposition. And what I admire about what i've discussed isn't it's "eye candy" appeal. Frankly I don't know where you got that impression. "Instead you're saying that you don't mind doing Fed-Ex quests as long the game looks nice." I'm glad you could tell me what i'm saying, but i'm saying you've got it wrong. Also I hope i'm right too, I don't think any of us want another dissappointing fallout game.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Aonaran wrote: I don't think any of us want another dissappointing fallout game.
amen to that, man.
Don't get discouraged from posting here too soon; seems like Killzig is like Pai Mei - inconsolable. But hey, that's what precious about him.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

First of all, as I recall reading a PA article on the E3 showing of Oblivion, the article expressed disappointment at the fact that the combat which many people grew weary of in Morrowind, has remained unchanged.

Bethesda's resistance to update the mechanics of the game in favor of simply updating the visuals is a pretty good idea of where they're going with this whole Fallout thing. They're going to woo the morons over with pretty pictures, hoping to sell a few extra units, leaving the rest of us with essentially a useless hunk-of-shit morrowind mod with fancy graphics. Personally I lost all liking for that company after Morrowind. They're dead to me now.

A story in my opinion only does so much for a game, if I don't have fun playing the fucking thing. The story means fuckall. I don't want interactive fiction, I want a fucking game.

Also, stop making references to ape genatalia, what the fuck is wrong with you?
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

Burnov wrote:First of all, as I recall reading a PA article on the E3 showing of Oblivion, the article expressed disappointment at the fact that the combat which many people grew weary of in Morrowind, has remained unchanged.
That is 100% incorrect. The combat has changed a great deal from Morrowind's. The PA guys saw the E3 demo but did not play it for themselves. But if you want to base your decision solely on the impressions of one person, be my guest.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Yes, IIRC the PA also admitted later that they were full of shit.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Hey man, the ape genetalia is only to make it fun for the kids. Don't want to seem out of touch.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

MrSmileyFaceDude wrote:
Burnov wrote:First of all, as I recall reading a PA article on the E3 showing of Oblivion, the article expressed disappointment at the fact that the combat which many people grew weary of in Morrowind, has remained unchanged.
That is 100% incorrect. The combat has changed a great deal from Morrowind's. The PA guys saw the E3 demo but did not play it for themselves. But if you want to base your decision solely on the impressions of one person, be my guest.
So you included dodge, parry and block. Whoopdee fucking do. It's an RPG not a fighting game. Give me something where I have to use tactics and my characters skills not slap my space bar every time the blocky fucker in armor that makes him look like a lego knight comes at me with a god damned sword .. meanwhile I can't fucking aim at him and slap him because the only thing I see on my fucking screen is my character's colorfully armored candy ass. O MY FUCKING GOD I'M SLICING MY OWN ASS BECAUSE THE COMBAT SYSTEM IS SO FUCKING REALISTIC. AH FUCK MY ASS OH SHIT IT BURNS THAT IS NOT A HEMMORHOID REMOVAL TOOL OH FUCK ME FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Yeah, just a little whiskey and three episodes of Rescue Me later. You'll forgive me if the Dennis Leary rubbed off a bit.

Go fuck yourself in the ear with a piece of corn on the cob.

(congratulations, you're now initiated as a Fallout dev.)
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

Oh, I've been initiated already, Killzig, but thanks for the effort ;)
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

You can Dodge and Block and such but there is more to it than that. You can do varied attacks such as regular and power attacks as well as specialized attacks that you gain like perks as your mastery increases, much like in Fallout. Also this mastery determines your critical chance allowing you to disarm your opponent. Also if sucessfully landed the power attacks can stagger your opponent. So really the choice of attack will add quite a bit more strategy.

Another addition is stealth based attacks, each weapon class having it's own individualized one. This adds more depth as well for the stealth favoring characters.

Also enemies make better use of their terrain as well as actually use potions and other modifiers to increase their ability to whoop your ass. If there is a more powerful weapon nearby they will go to it before charging you to increase their odds of taking you out.

There is also the fact that they ditched the lame chance to hit method of attacking from morrowind. Now if you hit the opponent you do just that, hit them. What is different is how much damage is done, once again dependant upon your mastery of the weapon used. Now not only is it a test of your stats in battle but of your skills as well.

Also movement of the weapon is now controlled by movement keys on the keyboard or controller, no more thrusting or slashing or worst of all "use best attack" combat.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Aonaran wrote:You can Dodge and Block and such but there is more to it than that... blah blah blah.... movement of the weapon is now controlled by movement keys on the keyboard or controller, no more thrusting or slashing or worst of all "use best attack" combat.
How about a revolutionary new system that's turned-based, and calculates chance to hit and damange based on character skill with the given weapon, distance from the enemy, ammunition types, character perception and a slew of other things?

I think if some sort of overheard veiwpoint could somehow be combined with the combat system I've just described, we might have a nice framework to put engaging quests and involving stories in.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

This revolutionary system could then gain consciousness due to it's uberness and travel back in time ten years and implement itself in the original fallout game. Then, a decade later and once more in the now we could observe this advanced combat system as dated and move on.
Our Host!