Pitch Black (why won't Riddick leave?)

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Enon
SDF!
SDF!

Pitch Black (why won't Riddick leave?)

Post by Enon »

I've seen this topic posted elsewhere in this forum but there didn't seem to be a resolution reached over it. Basically it has to do with the Pitch Black encounter and Riddick's apparent refusal to leave it. I let him walk through the map all the way to the exit grid after which I snuck my entire squad through. The Deathclaws turned hostile (red) but didn't attack since they weren't able to detect anyone. So with Riddick and my squad in the exit grid I left the map and resumed my business locating other random encounters. After a while I re-entered the Pitch Black map out of curiousity and, surprise(!), Riddick is still standing in the exit grid (the Deathclaws still hostile but unprovoked). Anyway, I was wondering if this was the natural end to the encounter or if the trigger to recruit Riddick, once I complete Mardin, is still unactivated. I know if worse comes to worse I could just substitute his .ent file for another recruit's (goodbye Karl) but since I'm just starting out (I've only finished Brahmin Wood) I figure to try and keep it as legit as bugs will allow (and my recruit pool intact). Well, that's my ramble. Thanks.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

To recruit Riddick, you have to have an open space in your squad. Also, sneaking onto exit grids sometimes messes up triggers.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Retlaw83 wrote:To recruit Riddick, you have to have an open space in your squad.
Not true, there are no triggers to change Riddick's pi to human. As I answered this thread at NMA, the only requirement to have him show up in the recruit pool, when you have reached the required rank, is for him to be still alive when you reach the exit grid.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Enon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Enon »

Thanks Requiem (sorry you had to answer that one twice). Can anyone backup Retlaw on the triggers being screwed up by sneaking (I wouldn't be surprised). Thanks guys. Cheers...
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Sorry - I got Riddick confused with the Pipboy encounter.

I don't know if sneaking onto the grid breaks the trigger to add Riddick to the pool, but I wouldn't be too terribly surprised. I hear about triggers for all kinds of things getting screwed up by it.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Retlaw83 wrote:I don't know if sneaking onto the grid breaks the trigger to add Riddick to the pool, but I wouldn't be too terribly surprised.
I don't see why, the trigger for exit grids is 'all alive' and if the game couldn't tell if an actor was alive just because they were sneaking it'd cause no end of problems with the game ending out of turn. But then again exit grids don't normally turn on until you've completed the mission so other than the pitch black encounter there's probably no other map were you'd be sneaking on to the exit grid.
Retlaw83 wrote:I hear about triggers for all kinds of things getting screwed up by it.
Funny I've never heard anything of the kind, have you any examples?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Most common problem is that if you sneak the Reaver leaders who temporarily join your squad during that one mission onto the exit grid, they leave your team and dissapear, but aren't counted for the mission complete trigger.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Hmm I've never had that but then again I normally drive the reavers to the exit in the armoured luxury of the tank, I'll give sneak a go. The triggers just use more than 0 alive at zone so I don't see why sneak should affect them any more than the exit grids.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I wasn't very clear in my last post - if you sneak the Reaver elders into the area where the exit grid should be, they leave your team and their departing text shows up. However, it breaks the "more than 0 alive at" trigger - or another trigger related to it - and the result is no debrief and no exit grid.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Yeah I understood you but what you are saying is impossible as it's all down to one trigger, the trigger checks if the reaver is in the zone then removes them from your control and then sets a variable to true to say that reaver has been rescued. The trigger that turns on the exit grids and starts the debrief going just checks that all 4 variables (one for each reaver) are true. So if sneaking affected anything then the reaver wouldn't leave your control and you wouldn't be able to rescue anyother reaver.

If you had problems with the mission ending then it has to be down to something else, sneak has nothing to do with it. I've just played through the mission, once last night and once this morning and didn't have any problems sneaking the reavers to the rescue area.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I've never had a problem, but I know that several people have. It may have been corrected in a patch.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

I don't remember anything in the patch readme, but that's not suprising as something it lists as fixed still aren't.

The most obvious answer is that they didn't rescue all the reavers, which is why the exit grids wouldn't turn on.
Our Host!