Killing Floor (UT2004) Demo

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Killing Floor (UT2004) Demo

Post by Mad Max RW »

<strong>[Mod -> Update]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Killing Floor (Unreal Tournament 2004)">Mod: Killing Floor (Unreal Tournament 2004)</a>

<p>It seems dozens and dozens of mods are started and slip into
oblivion, never to be heard from again. Or they get sick of working and
release an unplayable pile of shit to the public. Finally something
that doesn't totally suck is here. <a target="_blank" href="http://killingfloor.pmods.net/">Killing
Floor</a> is basically a team of marines vs. hoards of zombies.
Yeah, it's cliched, but the execution is surprisingly good. </p><p>The
first demo is available at the <a target="_blank" href="http://killingfloor.pmods.net/">Killing Floor
homepage</a>. If you have <a target="_blank" href="http://www.unrealtournament.com/">Unreal
Tournament 2004</a> and 62mb of bandwidth to spare, check this
thing out. There's only one map and a handful of weapons.

</p>

Spotted @ <a href="http://beyondunreal.com/">BeyondUnreal</a>
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm surprised how good this is for a first release, let alone a post apocalyptic zombie mod. Better than most of the related Half Life mods.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

It definately has the best webpage for a mod. If I had UT2004 installed I'd try it out.... I've got the CDs here somewhere.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Where the fuck do you download this thing? First I followed the "Download demo" link at the top right and it linked to a page written in Swahili and I got lost. So then I scrolled down the front page and picked a link there. It linked to the same Swahili but with more English. I clicked "download" and all it does is refresh the same damn page? Is this some kind of puzzle that's part of the game?

Aha! My habit of using the first mirror has struck me once again. The second mirror is a direct link to the file.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I just noticed the "demo" is singleplayer only, which is kind of a bummer.

Anyway, my summary of the first release:

What's good
-The single map is awesome. Sorta has a Resident Evil feel about it.
-Zombies look like zombies. Too many mods fuck up their look and movement, and they did a nice job this time.
-I dig the music. Not sure what it is, but the menu music fits perfectly.
-Creepy
-Can push stuff around and barricade rooms

What sucks
-Weapons sound is weak as hell
-No crosshair
-only one map
-only one type of zombie, as far as I can tell
-3 weapons (knife, duel pistols, assault rifle) all feel weak
-physics for desks and stuff you push is random

Future releases will have multiplayer and coop (based on the site and forums). Gain money or something and buy more weapons between rounds. More maps. If they deliver this stuff it'll be fucking awesome. It'll be like an Invasion mode that doesn't suck.
Last edited by Mad Max RW on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

I prefer singleplayer. I'm hoping there are hoardes of zombies to wade through.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Yeah, same here. I want to see more singleplayer mods. There are already a bazillion and one mods trying to be the next CS or whatever. I can play one of those already good and nearly identical (bar perhaps a few cosmetic changes to theme it) multiplayer mods and listen to hyperactive twelve year olds on them if I want.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Here's the music this guy David Leung Haslam did for the mod. http://www.rattic.co.uk/ga.htm

I like it a lot for some reason.
XAlexX
SDF!
SDF!

Post by XAlexX »

Hi folks, Mad Max referred me to these forums by posting on the official KF forums, i am the Artistic talent behind Killing Floor (Slinks is responsible for the code). We're a two man team pretty much.

I am glad that you liked the demo, and I figured i could clear some things up!

1. The MENU music alone is by David , while the in-game music is by "
Zynthetic" both guys are really talented, and i have more tracks on the way from the latter.

2. There is more than one map done, in fact, there's four and they are all totally varied . In my opinion, the map shipped with the Demo was one of the weakest of the four, but Slinks liked it and it runs probably among the fastest of the four due to optimization, so we figured we'd stick it up for public consumption.

3. There are 10 weapons done, the demo does not show them all because we are implementing a system of purchase for weaponry between "waves" and we dont want people playing with ALL the toys before they have to buyem ;) Otherwise the general response might be " Oh wait, now i have to PAY for a shotgun! that sucks i got it for free before! " Weapon sounds for the berettas were weak in the demo, they can and will be increased by tweaking a single value in the code.

4. Having no crosshair was part of the gameplay decision we made. Some people are gonna love it, others will hate it. Regardless, it adds to the tension and amps up the learning curve on the weapons, so it's something im pleased to keep.

5. There are five types of zombies in the demo and there will be at LEAST that many in the final version. Each has different attributes, and appearances, and in some cases, animations.

6. The Physics are handled by a mod called "Good Karma" which is still going through beta development. As the creator improves his mod, so to will Killing Floor become better in this department.

7. Regarding mirrors, we had some bullshit hosting from a german site earlier so i've removed it in favor of some DIRECT links, so go for those

Anyway i think that about covers it. And once again guys, a BIG thanks for your support.. I mean, i do this for fun right? But both Slinks and I have poured a TON of time into this mod, and it's nice to see people appreciate that.

We know what's fun and what isn't and we aren't going to dissapoint in that regard. The demo was just a "taste", the real goods are still being hammered out, but you can bet we'll be delivering ;)

Peace
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Are you going to be concentrating more on multiplayer or singleplayer aspects?

The visual side of the game looks good from the screenshots. I'll download this and give it a try.

XAlexX
SDF!
SDF!

Post by XAlexX »

Well we decided early on to do Multiplayer COOP experience.

I mean, Killing Floor is a totally coop game, have no illusions,when i say "single player" i mean going thru the motions with some A.I chums on the SAME maps with the SAME guns, instead of actual human players to cover your back.

So there's going to be no plot to folllow through really, but it should be a blast from a Coop standpoint, and that's all i really had set out to make it :)
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

As long as it isn't another "me too" mod, it has a chance. AI buddies for the SP part would be fine.

XAlexX
SDF!
SDF!

Post by XAlexX »

is there anything so far we've done to suggest we're "me too" ? :eyebrow:
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

I want the goddamn single-player.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

We'll see if it turns into another CTF or "take and hold" style game, but you seem to be on the right track, hence the interest so far. :)

Zombie carnage is fun when done right.

DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

XAlexX wrote:4. Having no crosshair was part of the gameplay decision we made. Some people are gonna love it, others will hate it. Regardless, it adds to the tension and amps up the learning curve on the weapons, so it's something im pleased to keep.
That's an interesting decision. I think I like.
Our Host!