Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Combat in Oblivion - hints for Fallout 3? View next topic
View previous topic
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[Game -> Preview] - More info on Company: Bethesda Softworks | More info on Game: Fallout 3 (Bethesda) | More info on Person: Steve Meister

Steve "MrSmileyFaceDude" Meister, one of Bethesda's programmers, sent word that he's written an article on ES: Oblivion's combat (which includes a picture of him looking very much like Warren Specter). We're constantly assured how different Oblivion and Fallout 3 will be, but some things I'm guessing will carry over. For instance...
And finally, combat need not be lethal. Any combatant - including the player -- can yield to their opponent. It's up to the opponent to accept the yield or not, but if they do accept, combat ends. It's a way to get out of those sticky situations where you find yourself in over your head. Just don't try it with a creature or with anyone who really, really hates you! And if an NPC yields to you, you make the call - walk away, or keep fighting.
This is a feature long-missing in most commercial RPGs, and I hope it makes its way in some form into Fallout 3.
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Definitely good news.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm wondering how player yielding will work. Will it be simple, where you surrender, pay a fee, and leave, or will it have more complex consequences? I hope it's the latter, at least for Fallout 3. I can think of at least one trait you could get for yielding too much - "coward". And if you kill surrendering enemies, you'll be "heartless bastard".
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you should propose to MSFD that they implement a system of reputations based on your actions. I really like the sound of "(yourcharacternamehere), the Heartless Butcher." or "(yourcharacternamehere), Spineless Chicken of the Realms."
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Let's just hope there won't be a "Brave Sir Robin" reference. Ugh.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Enough with the shitty features, tell us about the main plot and story and shit.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerICQ Number
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the idiot but it has to have like interesting twists and shit, because if its just generic all the time like "RED ADVANCE LIZARD ASKS U TO YIELD" then dont waste my time. Their got to be like debts payed back to the NPC(NOT JUST MONEY swell guy) like quests and your reputation has to change too. U also have to have the ability to ask your enemies to yield. AND THEY BETTER DO IT SOMETIMES TOO U swell guy DEVELOPERS
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds good to me. I did tire of having to carry a spiked knuckle/baton everywhere in Fo2 for the situations where I didn't want to kill everyone. Crotch punching to unconciousness extravoganza! :o

I cannot wait for the age of RPG's with true reactions. Where a bruised battered thug who picked a fight but was left alive will remember you later. Where rumours will literally pass through ingame communities, rather than a simple reputation stat that effects how all NPC's of a certain alignment react to you...
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hum... no more crazy running to the next map than XD
Claw
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

T-900 wrote:
I cannot wait for the age of RPG's with true reactions. Where a bruised battered thug who picked a fight but was left alive will remember you later.
..and try again with a few buddies to back him up. icon_joy

The new features in TES4 all sound good but I expect a huge step upwards from Morrowind, and I don't mean the shiny graphics.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic