Let's pound the VB corpse some more

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Do0Fu5 wrote:dont expect me to post again
Don't go . . . we need you . . .

. . .

You make me sad. So sad . . . :drunk:
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Yet more proof that either lurking doesn't work or they usually lie.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Does this mean we have his permission to go back to pounding VB some more? I wouldn't want to cause any harm to the regulars. No sirree.

VB stuff might've been great a year or so ago but come on people, it's been canned. What's with the drip feed of "art" for a game that'll never be made? How much longer is stuff going to be "leaked" out? Release it all now and we can get done with the reminiscing and hope for Bethesda's FO3.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I thought there wasn't much point moaning about it here alone so I mentioned that at NMA and some folk went mental. I've no idea how long it's going to continue, but they seem to think it's worthwhile, so I expect to see it continue for a while yet.

Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Fez wrote:I thought there wasn't much point moaning about it here alone so I mentioned that at NMA and some folk went mental. I've no idea how long it's going to continue, but they seem to think it's worthwhile, so I expect to see it continue for a while yet.
And now you are banned as I understand...?
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Most probably, and I bet it was "for trolling".
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Yeah, despite the fact I actually bothered to explain my point of view several times when questioned and then kept it all to the thread that was created for me. It was kind of funny and ridiculous at the same time. It was hard to believe anyone could get so worked up about it all. Especially when you consider the number of idiots spamming ads or malicious posts every day.

The best part is that I don't even hate the place or do the "forum war" stuff and was actually just expressing an opinion. I think there must have been a lot of abusive people there sometime to put them on the defensive so much, it makes them assume that everything is an attack or something. You end up with nothing but "yes men" that way. The Codex would be poorer if they banned Volourn, despite him disagreeing with almost every other thing there, it is still a different perspective on subjects.

Frankly, I think I could have written worse in blood and mailed it to Saint or Teatime and they'd have not bothered.

I'd always thought everyone was just being too hard on them, but it seems not if they freak out over something as small as that and ban someone. It's like some sad MMOG obsessive that needs to get laid and snaps at someone and gets all wound up for insulting their faggy elf avatar, the perspective on reality is fading.

At least I don't need to worry about feeling guilty for talking behind their back, now I have to talk about it here instead, as they said they were reading all this anyway, so it's not back stabbing. Normally I'd rather post anything like that on the forum in question.

I still find the whole thing funny now, the ban is like the icing on the cake of insanity. There's no way I can hold a grudge when there is so much comedy value. I love them so much, I'll give them the big wet kiss they sorely need when I get my chance.

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

LlamaGod wrote:Man, that concept art with the Mad Max pictures sucks.

It's like the artist guy they always used in the Black Isle crap doesnt know how to do anything besides fantasy (normal person? okay, lets make them PAPER WHITE despite being in the desert with combed pretty hair) and then the gigantic ass shoulder pad with 90 spikes in it...

Idiots.
ditto.
this guy is just hilarious. his clothes in perfect condition, his hair washed and combed an hour ago, the mega-hiper-shoulder-pad, oh pleez...
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

After seeing this concept art I'm glad VB never got done. The engine looks like shit and shoe string budget shows even in the quality of the concept art. The "Mad Max" dude DOES look like some sort of paper doll taken from Icewind Dale concept art.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Bah i cant read Fez flaming thread on nma. They put members only on it. :rolleyes:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I was never against Van Buren. In hindsight it may well have been a subpar game due to the budget, Interplay's stupid demands like the dual combat system, and a short development time, but we'll never know.
What I object to is the way this stuff is being leaked out and I get the impression as 'Fallout fans' we're supposed to orgasm (according to some people) over some pretty standard concept art that's coming out every few weeks and being leaked to NMA, <i><b>nearly two years after the game is dead</i></b>. I mean, WTF.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

That's how I felt and still do, Teatime.

PiP

Post by PiP »

that I don't like the neat-and-clean look of the concept art doesn't mean I think VB would suck. It merely means some artists should be instructed how living in the wasteland influences the look of your hair (think water and shampoo supplies), and other stuff like that. Also they obviously would have had to do it less show-off and less "pirate" (the pad).
Other than that, the art looks really OK, and it's _only_ concept art for chrissake!

VB's engine looks _good_ to me, to say the least. If we could only see it finished. Also, as far as I remember Sawyer (and co.?) had a couple of good ideas of changing the skill/rule system, which I liked. Altogether, I was really looking forward to seeing this game. Pity. Ain't no stupid concept art gonna change it.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Concept art defines the look and feel of the game. It's what it does. If the concept art doesn't look right--and it doesn't here--the game won't look right.

And Sawyer and Co. had really horrible ideas for fucking with SPECIAL. Splitting speech into a bunch of different skills to avoid people winning the game with a single skill while merging all the gun skills into one is completely asinine.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

The town management features and zany themes sounded a bit iffy too.

Our Host!