Asian horror films

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Frowning wrote:Even the first Ring movie? Some one I watched that just didn't like it and said the same as you, I'm curious if you share the same view on the same movie.
I almost fell asleep during Ringu. It seems that what the back of the box hailed as "suspense" was actually an unbelievably slow-moving, uninteresting plot. I don't know if it's some kind of culture barrier or what, because while I don't hold anything against the Japanese, I don't fucking get them.

I mean, I enjoy their crazy antics as much as the next guy. Dead or Alive is an example of the positive side of Japanese eccentricity (IMO, I know some of you will disagree). However, I can not stand their idea of emotional tension.

Two people standing across a room from each other in a shocked, trance-like state while haltingly trying to stammer out some kind of statement of their feelings which in all probability will be idiotic blather just doesn't do it for me. I'm sorry, but no thank you.

So yes, I disliked Ringu.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Heard of the Guinea Pig films?
Yeah. Those were the films which people thought were snuff and the director nearly got sued or something, right?
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Yeah, some faggy american actor watched one of them and thought that it was a snuff movie.. but then the director released a "THE MAKING OF GUINEA PIG" doc, or something :aiee:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Yep. http://www.guineapigfilms.com/History.html has the details.
In 1991, Satoru Ogura took all the Guinea Pig films and spliced, cut, chopped, sautéed and simmered them to create the "Slaughter Special." This is literally the "best hits" of the Guinea Pig series. With that release, horror guru Chas Balun got his hands on the series and started to distribute them here and there, spreading the warmth of the series around, if I may put it so boldly. The videos acquired a life of their own and were soon scattered all over California. It was at this point that a famous actor by the name of Charlie Sheen got his hands on a copy of the Guinea Pigs and all Hell broke loose. The accomplished actor, Mr. Sheen, thought they were real and contacted the "MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) and before they could substantiate any of the claims being made against the films, he "got involved in a subsequent movement to stop any kind of import distribution for the films" (Weisser and Weisser 1997). The MPAA then contacted the FBI. FBI agent Dan Codling explained that the film had already been under investigation by both the FBI and by the Japanese authorities and the Bureau, and that, after a thorough investigation, the films had been found to be fake.
There's a lot more about it on that page as well.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Sheen shown to be a moron. Surprise, surprise.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Top_Shelf
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Top_Shelf »

I am with Teatime in that I liked the american ring, and I saw "The Gruge" and thought that it was very good, though I have not seem Ju-oh as of yet.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Ju-on is an ok flick, the sequel though is really good and should be viewed.
Frowning
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Frowning »

What's Ju-on about then? Never heard of it...
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Yeah, the American Ring was much better than Ringu.

I've only seen a couple other Japanese horror flicks, but The Eye is decent. Once again, it's rather slow, but it's got a few good, creepy moments.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I just saw Audition. It was horrendous. Maybe it was the translation of the subtitles. Wait...no...it was the whole film. Just not good, and not scary.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Dexter
Regular
Regular

Post by Dexter »

Nicolai wrote:Heh, what? The guinea pig movies are movies.. Faces of Death and its sequels are documentaries.
They eventually admitted that most of Faces of Death was fake. I guess that makes them movies instead of documentaries in that case.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

In my experience, Audition certainly was . . . clumsily subtitled, and the 'climax' didn't even elicit a wince from me. Often hilarious (the piano scene for example), albeit consistently disappointing overall, in my opinion. :drunk:
jiujitsu
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jiujitsu »

Ichi the Killer is a pretty disgusting asian horror movie.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

It's not really a horror movie, in my opinion. It was a great movie, but there was nothing in it to make it a horror movie.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*whispers* ... Versus...

*runs*
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Nothing is more horrifying than a Gamera movie.
Last edited by Cimmerian Nights on Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

King of Creation wrote:It's not really a horror movie, in my opinion. It was a great movie, but there was nothing in it to make it a horror movie.
Yeah Ichi was funny, it's not an horror movie.
Our Host!