Whats The Better FPS Classic? Wolfenstein, Doom Quake?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Wolfenstein, Doom or Quake?

Wolfenstein ( the first )
15%
Doom ( the fun one )
85%
Quake ( the most sequels )
No votes

Total votes: 20

Dark Xenomorph

Whats The Better FPS Classic? Wolfenstein, Doom Quake?

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Wolfenstien may be the first, but Doom was the best, the amount of enemys, the cool guns it has it all! :twisted:
Chris(is evil)
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Chris(is evil) »

Its gotta be Doom. The shotgun says it all :D
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

Catacombs Abyss!
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Is Quake a classic?

I only tried Quake a few times, and i didn't play all that much Doom. Wolfenstein on the other hand, was a game i enjoyed a lot back then, and IMO is the real FPS classic. Not that i've ever tried any other FPS'es though.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Quake has crap guns, and the basis of the story is fairyish... Collect Magicial Runes?
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

quake was good fun and excellent for multiplayer

doom and doom2 reigned supreme, however, with superb level designs and kick ass monsters - the ultimate single player experience

hopefully they won't screw up doom3
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

Wolf - love it for being a classic and kicking Nazi ass! :P
-
-
Doom - at first it kept jolting me out of my seat and grinding my teeth as I fought tons and tons of enemies. Gruesome, remember all the bodies that littered the floor when you were done? Very unsettling when you get done playing after a while but still fun. The horror movie Event horizon always reminded me of Doom. 8O
-
-
Quake - akward controls and bad weapons make me want not to play. Did like it at all except for the cool troop transport and pods. That's all there was. :?
-
-
Doom III - is going to be a very good game. It won't suck. Unless you hate survival horror games. It's suppose to take place on Mars this time with the same plot. It is suppose to be heavily scripted to provide shock and horror to the player. There was one seen where the player is looking in a bathroom mirror and this thing comes rumbling after him. I don't want to play it because of the horror. Shudders... 8O
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doom 3 sounds more like Quake to me. Doom was all about mowing down hordes of monsters to me. Quake was about cutting edge 3D graphics to the point of not being able to have the amount of monsters coming at you that Doom had. Instead, it was just a couple of monsters here and there, mostly hidded just around corners so they'd pop out at you. Basically, from every interview I've read, Doom 3 will be like that as well.
------------------
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Doom. It was actually immersive.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Doom.

The amount of time I played that game multiplayer and won (nothing like a 9 year old beating an experianced 16yr old)
This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

...Did we forget the build engine games????

Duke Nukem 3d, Blood, and Shadow Warrior...some of the funniest, most horribly wrong, and gory experiences ever...and one of the easiest multiplayer connections ever..set the modem up, dial, and go in deathmatch or co-op. Perhaps the most fun of these involved blood runs on the highest possible difficulty, in which multiple, gruesome deaths were almost certain.

The build engine games will also always hold a special place in the FPS realm for being totally, completely, and EASILY editable. Doing anything from changing weapon power, to enemy sprites, to the gore level of the game was accomplished by opening one of the 3 main .con files in notepad and changing numbers.

Aside from all this...Blood had the best set of weapons...ever...and the ability to decapitate your enemy in multiplay and then punt his head around the arena like a soccer ball, trailing fountains of blood behind it.

Gotta love it.
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Darwin_187
Respected
Respected

Post by Darwin_187 »

Doom, by far; though Quake 2 at least tried to be true to it's roots (and actually was pretty fun to play also... not to mention the fact that it re-introduced the BFG 8O ).
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Doom, the only series of games bar the contemptible Serious Sam to have LOADS of enemies attacking you at once, and giving you big gunnery stuff to blow them apart. I remember screaming at my monitor in the hectic bits "DIE YOU ALIEN MOTHERF***ERS, DIE!". Sweet.
>Grins<
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

Doom. I'm still trying to complete it on "NIGHTMARE!" difficulty...

But my real favourite is Blood. You just gotta love the Dynamite...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

DOOM ALL TEHW AY DOODS!!!
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

Doom 3 is going for scares far more then any Quake style gameplay.

Admitedly you wont have the hoards of monsters of Doom (think of it more of AvP) but then again one can always play Dungeon Siege if they want that :roll:
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

I cant wait for Doom 3, im getting it when it comes out!
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

DoomII was utterly cool. The sound effects as well as the visual status both were amazing, for the time. The pumpaction shotgun used to be my weapon of choice.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Our Host!