Hitchhiker's Guide trailer

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Hitchhiker's Guide trailer

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ Film & TV -> Images ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... itle=Garth Jennings">Person: Garth Jennings</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... title=Nick Goldsmith">Person: Nick Goldsmith</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... ?title=The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy">Film & TV: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy</a>

If you're looking forward to the <a href="http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/">Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film</a>, this is quite big news. The trailer has just been released, and you can download it from Duck and Cover by <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/files/Hitchh ... ">clicking this link</a>
(8 MB). It shows all of the main cast in action, as well as some
decent-looking special effects. The most out-of-place parts to me were
Marvin's big head, Zaphod's lack of a second head, and the American
voiceover guy employed for the trailer.

Overall, it looks promising.
<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://aint-it-cool-news.com/">Ain't It Cool News</a></p>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Okay, nothing new really. It looks good except for Marvin and Zaphod looking like a larper.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

Am I the only one who thinks Marvin looks cool?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Probably. His head's too big.

Zaphod has two heads, his second one seems to be underneath his shirt or something. It shows it for a second towards the end of the trailer.
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

Subhuman wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Marvin looks cool?
But Marvin isn't supposed to look cool he is supposed to look absolutly pathetic.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

SuperH wrote:Zaphod has two heads, his second one seems to be underneath his shirt or something. It shows it for a second towards the end of the trailer.
Zaphod has a head under his head, yes, a very cheap way to solve the problem of "how to realistically represent a man with two heads." It also doesn't fit, because the books often mention Zaphod's one head looking at the other one, amongst other things.

I can't say I share your roaring enthusiasm for this film, a film starring a rapper and a guy whose carreer peaked at "Ali G in da house" directed by some video clip director generally sounds like a bad idea, but that's even more so when making a film of a book like THHGTTG. Heck, the book depends almost completely on ideas, not images. Comparisons, similes, jokes, thoughts, that's what drives those books (and the Discworld books), I don't think it's even vaguely possible to do it justice on the screen, let alone like this.

The fact that ol' Adams wrote the script himself means jack-shit too, because just like ol' Nabokov was a horrible translator of his own books, Adams might very well be a horrible translator-to-the-screen of his own works.

But hey, who knows, it might be good. Promising it does not look.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well I think the casting has been perfect aside from maybe the rapper (who could prove to be a decent actor yet). Martin Freeman as Arthur is a very good choice, and his career surely peaked in The Office rather than Ali G's movie?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Well I think the casting has been perfect aside from maybe the rapper (who could prove to be a decent actor yet). Martin Freeman as Arthur is a very good choice, and his career surely peaked in The Office rather than Ali G's movie?
Well, let's be honest here, with the whole "Huh, what?"-factor, Arthur's role is about as difficult as that of Frodo after the first LotR; stand around, look stupid. Hence indeed it doesn't matter much if the person playing Arthur would be an untalented twat just like Elijah Wood is. But yes, Martin isn't a bad choice, and I was kidding with the Ali G thing.

I still don't see why Ford has to be black or played by a rapper. And sadly, the whole "I was stranded on a strange planet..."-bit smells too much like Will Smith Men in Black humour, I mean jeesh.

I think Warwick Davis is the best-picked actor (that said Martin does look stupid, he should look more depressed, not clumsy, useless and slightly amusing. Bloody comedy relief hour)

Sam Rockwell looks better than I would've thought. I don't generally like the guy or his acting (except for his role in the first TMNT), but he doesn't look bad here.

Stephen Fry's a good touch. I don't particularly like Zooey Deschanel. I would like to say it doesn't matter since Trillian is pretty irrelevant anyway, but it looks like they bumped her up to love interest (did he really called her "Tricia" in the trailer?)

PS: one of the Vogons in the original THHGTTG is desribed as having a "blubbery arm", they got that wrong. Though I like their idea of the slug-like Vogons.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Arthur Dent never struck me as the type who reads.

And the movie looks terrible, judging by the trailer. But then again, it didn't have any substance to it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Retlaw83 wrote:And the movie looks terrible, judging by the trailer. But then again, it didn't have any substance to it.
Do you have a point, or are you just trying to look like an intellectual?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

ApTyp wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote:And the movie looks terrible, judging by the trailer. But then again, it didn't have any substance to it.
Do you have a point, or are you just trying to look like an intellectual?
The point was that the trailer wasn't very good, but that doesn't really have any bearing on what the movie will actually be like.

So... do you have a point, or are you just trying to be an asshole?
- the Vault Dweller
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

WTF?! Why don't you get off my case, cockface?! What'd I do to you? I'm sick and tired of you always trying to get into stupid arguments with me. This is a public forum, if you have something against me let's keep it to PMs, otherwise shut the fuck up!
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Trailer looks depressing... didn't see it 'till now...
Testicular Pugilist
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

ApTyp wrote:WTF?! Why don't you get off my case, cockface?! What'd I do to you? I'm sick and tired of you always trying to get into stupid arguments with me. This is a public forum, if you have something against me let's keep it to PMs, otherwise shut the fuck up!
Um... this is the first time I ever remember saying anything to you about anything?
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!