Saving perks and tags, as posted on the old forums

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Saving perks and tags, as posted on the old forums

Post by Max-Violence »

Here we are:

#1 - Board Guest 328953: Can I "save" perks. In other words, if my character is at level three and I don't pick a perk, will I be able to pick two when he gets to level 6?

#2 - OTB: In Reply To #1

You can "save" a perk, but you will loose that "saved" perk when you get to a level where you gain another perk. So you your Perk Rate is 3 you can save the perk you gain at 3rd Level until just before 6th Level. When you get that second perk, the "saved" slot will be lost, however.

#3 - Cranberry: No, I think you're wrong there.

In my recent game, several of my characters saved their perk slots at level 9 and conseqeuntly got to pick two at level 12...

#4 - OTB: In Reply To #3

Really? I guess the rule book is wrong, then. (Then again, it's so riddled w/errors, I don't know why I trusted it there...)

#5 - Max-Violence: What rule book? The FOT manual?

And Cranberry is right - perks don't mysteriously vanish. To check it out, fire up the entity editor and make a new actor. Keep clickin' Level so the character is all the way up to level 50, then click Perks. You'll be able to pick a BUNCH of 'em :)

Bad part is that, without doing some *shudder* math, you won't know how many perk choices the actor has remaining.

Man... OTB was wrong about something... Someone get a camera, 'cause I'm sure it won't be happening again any time soon :)

#6 - Cranberry: Heh. It's a good strategy to save all your perks for when you can get Bonus Damage, Better Criticals etc. The low level perks are just wasteful.

#7 - Max-Violence: In Reply To #6

With the obvious exceptions of Awareness and Educated, of course :)

Bonus HtH Damage is also very handy if one is a melee character. Thief is an all-around good perk (I think so, anyway. +10 sneak is always good, and the character gets some other stuff as well). Ghost would be pretty decent if it worked...

But yea, Bonus Ranged Damage, Bonus RoF, and More Criticals are always a good choice (unless, of course, you don't like killing things :) ), Steady Arm (mutant), Bonsai (ghoul), and Way of the Fruit (IIRC everyone, but only useful in conjunction with a ghoul that has Bonsai) are also good. I've never bothered much with drugs, so I can't comment on Flower Child.

#8 - Flamescreen: In Reply To #7

Can you save tags? As in not assigning any at start for premade characters? Cause this is something I want to do, so the player can really have a feel of creating the entire team.

#9 - MAD: In Reply To#8

NO Can't save tags.

#10 - Max-Violence: In Reply To #8

Actually, sorta.

The only way to make Tags available to the player is to make the actor, prefab or not, with the "Cheat character stat/trait" option in the entity editor. Simply assign 2 or less tag skills and presto.

Or, you can go into the Trait section of the actor's Attributes tab, and fart around with the "tagsavailable" field.

Either way, the actor will have tags available.

But MAD is right - the player can't just make a custom main character and "save" tags by not assigning any - the game is hard-coded to not allow that.

All of this goes for Stat points as well.

#11 -Flamescreen: In Reply To #10

Thanks for the advice, Max-V. Btw, I can't save it in my disk now, so if something happens and by tomorrow this board is dead, would you mind recreating it to the other forum then?

#12 - OTB: In Reply To #5

Max-Violence wrote:

What rule book? The FOT manual?

Yes, I was referring to the FoT game manual.

Max-Violence wrote:

And Cranberry is right - perks don't mysteriously vanish. To check it out, fire up the entity editor and make a new actor. Keep clickin' Level so the character is all the way up to level 50, then click Perks. You'll be able to pick a BUNCH of 'em :)

Yes, I was aware of that. This is usually how I design NPCs, especially ones that I want to be of the highest quality. (For instance, enemy leaders.) This way you can get them the best perks their skills/tags/stats can buy by playing around w/how you allocate SPs and other perks.

Max-Violence wrote:

Man... OTB was wrong about something... Someone get a camera, 'cause I'm sure it won't be happening again any time soon
:)

:-Þ < --- How's that for a gesture of humility? ;)
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

BTW, this was posted in the FoT forum at Old DaC, so that's what I was talking about in-game and not editing issues.

:Þ

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:BTW, this was posted in the FoT forum at Old DaC, so that's what I was talking about in-game and not editing issues.
Oh yea...

I think I'll make my first (and prolly only) action as a moderator to move this to the FOT forum... as soon as I figure out how to...

Update:

Well, that was easier than I thought it'd be.

/goes back to mapping. At least he has a clue there.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Our Host!