Fallout MMORPG? Why not!

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: some points...

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Ed the Monkey wrote:Even though fallout is based on earth, there is something called scale. Games are a representation of an idea roughly based on something thats real, not something that is real or is directally based on something that's real. That means as long as the gameplay is perserved than physics are irrelevent, however with scale even your precious physics can be perserved. The world of fallout is already scaled down in a way, however the timescale, i don't think, is dropped quite as far as the diffrence between a real human and a fallout character. if the char was 1-100th the size of a normal person, than the miles would be 1-100th of a normal mile, this would mean it would still take the same time to traverse the distance, but time would also be scaled down 1-100th of the time. (i'm only useing these numbers because they came to mind).
You need to brush up on your math. The size of the character's legs and the size of the world balance one another, if you factor in scaling time as well, then you're back to the 1008MPH player situation since the stride of a 1/100th character would be 1/100th of an actual person. Stride is distance, and if the scale of the world is the same scale as the character, then you've covered that aspect with an equivalent scaling of how many strides it takes to get from Town A to Town B.
Just because we have physics doesn't mean we have to apply all these things to a game... it's called an imagination, use it.
It's called a brain, use it. :roll:

Towns in Fallout have to be far apart. It's a post nuclear holocost world, there aren't many people and those people are in isolated pockets of the world. The population density must be low to preserve that feel.
the T vs M thing... I wasn't completely suggesting that an M raiting would limit the market to the point of eliminating all the little kids, but I was suggesting that it would cut down some of the younger ones. I don't mind playing with someone who's 16 and playing for the sake of the game, but I do mind someone who's 10 and complaining to the game master's about cursing, or whatever. the T vs. M thing only protects our right to grotesque sex and violence, and hopefully limits the market a bit. You see, there's something called niche marketing, that's where someone shoots for a small group, but works to satisfy that group as much as possible instead of shooting for a big group and only satisfying them slightly.
Guess what? The rating won't do a thing to stop kiddies from playing. It won't do anything at all. Do you think Fallout Tactics had less kiddies playing it than it would have if it had a teen rating? If you think that, I suggest you hop on GSA sometime and play a few games. You're in for a shock.
I'd also have to argue that I love fallout, and I think this is a good idea... IF DONE RIGHT.
Of course, there is no way to do it right, that's the point. You'd have to hammer the square peg in to the round hole. You'd have to alter even the basics of Fallout just to make it fit an MMORPG to the point were all you have is the names taken from Fallout and everything else being different.
I also think there are more than a handfull of other players who love fallout and know it could be done right aswell. Besides... you don't have to play it. The only bad that might come is a short delay of the next fallout... however it might also benefit you by securing the series forever, and lower production time by increasing the revinue to Interplay or Microforte and/or whoever else. you don't have to play it, and it doesn't even have to be really good for it to benefit you, but if it is good, who knows... maybe you'll acutally like it.... but i doubt it.
Yeah, because UO did wonders for Ultima, didn't it?
A PK fest is fine in some areas, like out in the wasteland... but maybe it should be hard to travel back and forth, and dangerous... but some cities could be protected. Yes a seasoned player could take out quite a few guards, however no one could singlehandedly take out 2 behemiths and a handfull of paladins at the same time.
And yet people took out the BOS HQ in Fallout at level 10, and people have solo'ed Fallout Tactics.
I subimit an idea: I suggest that have part of the plot be that the brotherhood GOT the robots and is using them to defend some towns.
Oh yeah, including FOT in FOOL is a peachy idea. That's sure to win a lot of people over. :P
There you have extremely tough town guards that are part of the plot. So isolate towns with distance, only a good player could get through the wasteland and get better weapons and armor... maybe that is an answer.
Even with using the real bots from Fallout and Fallout 2, such as the sentry bots, brain bots, etc., that's not going to stop decent level players, nor will it stop guilds of playings, especially the PKer guilds.

Even then, having gobs of robot guards running around isn't exactly good for the Fallout setting. It's another shift from being post apocalyptic to pure sci-fi.
I seem to remember a mission, maybe I'm remembering something that wasn't there, but i SEEM to remember a mission where you steal plans for the vertibirds and giving it to the BOS?
I seem to recall Frank showing up and killing Matt too.
The BOS also has zeppelins, which are slow, given, but maybe one would log out at the zeppelin base one night and log in at another chosen one the next.
Which, by the way, was a huge plot hole in Fallout Tactics. Amazing you've played Fallout 2, where Matt said the BOS didn't have a means of flight, yet they did in Fallout Tactics, but you didn't notice that.
Yeah the enclave was nuked, but their tech is still around...
Their fuel isn't. It went bye-bye with the oil rig.

Vertibird - Fuel = Junk
and some of them were still around... again, what's to say some of the enclave didn't join up with BOS after the rig was blased?
Probably the BOS would say that. Would you let Enclavers in to your ranks if you were the BOS? Enclavers, the nice guys who wanted to kill off the world, traded in weapons to bad people to promote chaos, traded in slaves and drugs, and so on? The ones with the better armor than you have? We're talking about walking, breathing trojan horses here.
2 games...1 car... tactics had multiple cars... but i don't blame you for not including it.
That's because the cars in FOT made no sense, especially considering there was a nice random encounter in Fallout about why there were no cars left. Oh, and the FOT cars were gas powered, when there was no gas left. Again, when FOT was designed, no one checked their facts.
So make cars extremely expensive, travel with caravans and ward off attacks... i dunno... make the mechanic skill useful in finding broken cars and fixing them. I'd kinda like to see a motorcycle in the next fallout... but that's a diffrent matter all together.
Again, we're back to the "Why there's no cars" encounter in Fallout. Once you establish something like that, you can't just change the setting to suit your ideas on what should be in there. It's just bad.
Even if Fallout Online did turn out like Ultima Online, there will still be quite a few people buying it. That means upgraded servers, constant upgrades and work on the engine, which means thousands of new sprites and options that could easily be integrated into the following versions of fallout.
Funny, the same argument could be made about Fallout Tactics, nevermind the sprites didn't fit Fallout at all.
Even if it sucks, it will make the market for Fallout bigger, and thus another fallout would be much more likely instead of debateable. Futhermore, if FO were kept M, then the standard would be followed again (and hopefully set in stone) thus paving the way for another M fallout instead of some weak T version.
If FOOL was made, and it drew in a bigger market, you'll never see a FO3 or you'll see a rush job like you saw with Ultima 9. Why bother making a good FO3 when you're raking money off the license already with FOOL? To keep people interested, you'd have to devote people to making those expansion packs, after all.
------------------
Ed the Monkey
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

arguments arguments.....

Post by Ed the Monkey »

so give fallout online to another startup... Let BIS work out new *good* continuations of the fallout series, and let some moderately sized startup take Fallout Online. If it crashes then Interplay is only out a bad title, if it goes somewhere then it's just advertizment for the real fallout series, as well as some additinal revinue.
back to an earlier argument, hth does still work in realitime. Silent death, Slayer, and high sneek... covert opps style. You could sneek into a room after someone, and kill him without alerting guards outside or whatever.
Oh yeah, fallout is a GAME where you PRETEND to be someone else and go around in a PRETEND world. The rules are determined by your imagination, therefore physics don't have to be perfect... are you trying to tell me that every time you hop in your car you just point to your destination on a map and no matter how much time it would take it, days pass by in a matter of minuits as you go from where you are to where you're going? then all of a sudden you look up from the map (several days later) and notice that you're already there. It's called a brain, use it.
But like I said after this blurb before, maybe you're right and towns should be isolated... maybe travel should be extremely hard... maybe it should take time... maybe that's an answer to keeping the advanced pop small.
Finally, if an M raiting wouldn't shrink the market, why not keep it at an M raiting? but like i said earlier, there's something called nitch marketing (sp? i dunno) which means you shoot for a small group and you just keep them happy. it's a diffrent way of getting revinue, instead of shooting for a big market and having tons leave all the time because you can't keep everyone happy, you keep a few people happy and keep them for as long as you want. You get less money in the short run, but you keep the customers in the long run, so your revinue is increased in the longterm instead of in the shorterm.
Remember Valutcity? Tourets and guards everywhere... anyone draws a gun inside the walls they get blasted. There can still be a vast wasteland, and a number of unprotected cities... make it hard to become a well armed player/guild. if there are only a few really primo players and there's a ton of primo defence then things stay pretty neutral. but hey, whatever...
I played fallout 2 a ton of times, and fallout 1 a ton of times... but i'll admit, it's been a while since i've played fallout 2 all the way though because of classes, and other mutliple things.... I've come to realize that I can't really play much fallout if I want to get anything else done, I get way too sucked in. So excuse me for my memory, but one can't do everything. And yes I played fallout 2... I stumbled on to fallout 1 and got hooked. I eagerly awaited fallout 2, downloaded the trailer, checked the site every day for new screenshots, etc... and i got it a few days after it came out (when i got the money). so yeah, i've played fallout 2.

It's odd to see that nitch marketing seems to have escaped MMORPGs as a concept. There are quite a few fallout fans out there who have become so involved they've reverse engineered quite a bit of the software, there are quite a few coders out there, there are quite a few fallout gamers who could be producing sprites and submitting them for updates... a moderately sized startup might be able to tackle something like Fallout Online if they used the help of the fans to build sprites and possibly brainstorm new improvments. There are acutally a few Fallout gamers out there who have become organized enough to possibly entertain the concept of taking on the project themselves. by gamers, for gamers.... right? Maybe it'll take time, but I think at some point a group will come along with the capability to produce this game, and the desire to produce it right...
Just one monkey in a room of infinite monkeys, typing on infinite computers, now taking an infinite coffee break.......
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: arguments arguments.....

Ed the Monkey wrote:so give fallout online to another startup... Let BIS work out new *good* continuations of the fallout series, and let some moderately sized startup take Fallout Online. If it crashes then Interplay is only out a bad title, if it goes somewhere then it's just advertizment for the real fallout series, as well as some additinal revinue.
MMORPGs cost a hell of a lot to develop alone, we're talking millions and millions of dollars here just to make one. We're also taking multiple programming teams as well, because you need at least two. One for the client and one for the server. Unlike games like Quake, MMORPG communications programming is a lot trickier.

And on top of that, you expect Interplay, a company that's in multimillion dollar debt, to form a new division just to make FOOL?

Oh, and let's not forget that Gareth is entire correct on the situation with what happens when an MMO fails too. WW2OL not only killed off the developer, but the publisher as well.
back to an earlier argument, hth does still work in realitime. Silent death, Slayer, and high sneek... covert opps style. You could sneek into a room after someone, and kill him without alerting guards outside or whatever.
Okay.. So you need to use two skills to make melee/hand-to-hand work? That's my point, it's not balanced. You'd have to spend twice as many skill points to be as effective with melee/hand-to-hand as you would a gun person. Ever seen anyone with a melee squad take down a ranged squad in FOT MP? There's a reason you haven't.
Oh yeah, fallout is a GAME where you PRETEND to be someone else and go around in a PRETEND world. The rules are determined by your imagination, therefore physics don't have to be perfect... are you trying to tell me that every time you hop in your car you just point to your destination on a map and no matter how much time it would take it, days pass by in a matter of minuits as you go from where you are to where you're going? then all of a sudden you look up from the map (several days later) and notice that you're already there.
Travel times have already been established by Fallout and Fallout 2, and you can't have time in a city go faster than time in the wasteland. In an MMORPG, you have to have time being consistant. You can't have a player moving faster in the wasteland than they do in the town because that wouldn't be consistant time.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp here, Ed, and imagination has nothing to do with it.
It's called a brain, use it.

Didn't I say this to you, already? How wonderfully original of you.
But like I said after this blurb before, maybe you're right and towns should be isolated... maybe travel should be extremely hard... maybe it should take time... maybe that's an answer to keeping the advanced pop small.
You can't have isolated towns and have travel time be quick, not in Fallout. EQ is supposed to be huge, but most towns are five minutes apart.
Finally, if an M raiting wouldn't shrink the market, why not keep it at an M raiting? but like i said earlier, there's something called nitch marketing (sp? i dunno) which means you shoot for a small group and you just keep them happy. it's a diffrent way of getting revinue, instead of shooting for a big market and having tons leave all the time because you can't keep everyone happy, you keep a few people happy and keep them for as long as you want. You get less money in the short run, but you keep the customers in the long run, so your revinue is increased in the longterm instead of in the shorterm.
That's because marketting departments vision of reality is skewed. M Rating won't keep the kiddies away, but you can bet that they'd make it T Rated just for the "appeal of a wide audiance".

Chances are, to mess with the "wide audiance" thing, they'd remove a hell of a lot of the grit of Fallout just to make it all sweet and happy to appeal to the masses.
Remember Valutcity? Tourets and guards everywhere... anyone draws a gun inside the walls they get blasted. There can still be a vast wasteland, and a number of unprotected cities... make it hard to become a well armed player/guild. if there are only a few really primo players and there's a ton of primo defence then things stay pretty neutral. but hey, whatever...
I can take out Vault City at level 14 by myself - with melee. I'd say a pack of six players around level 10 shouldn't have a problem with Vault City.
------------------
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Who let in Methidox's clone? :twisted:

That poor boy didn't know what the hell they were talking about, and I still get into severe paroxysms of laughter whenever I recall his "saving in a MMORPG" idiocy.

Now, onto someone who has a grasp of the situation:
Gareth wrote: So how many Ultima games have origin released since UO? Actually fuck that, how many GAMES have origin released since UO?
I've seen this first-hand, if you get the idea. I'm still chafing over it. UO was promising, but it pointed out some problems when it comes to taking an existing title and making it into something it wasn't. Here's what happens:

1. The publisher isn't interested in doing what makes less money in batches. After getting the regular money from UO, EA wasn't really interested in an Ultima IX. It was Dick who pushed for it as a sort of closure for the fans in a conclusion of the series lest the end just hang, but he unfortunately had to bow into shitty trends for the marketing cattle at EA that ended up with the game playing like ass. Kind of the same with Ultima 8, which had to be pushed into trends as well, and included with Lord Dick's changing of the formula. It was because he pushed for another title for the fans to wrap it up, however crappy, that most of the fans aren't crying out for his head. The difference between Ultima and Fallout, is the Ultima fans weren't jerked around, teased, and outright lied to.

Since UO was making money hand over fist, no new Ultima games nor any games in general were coming forth from Origin. This company had created dozens of published games, and if you count individual projects that have been released relatively quietly, hundreds. Now, they are pretty much revamping UO for the nth time, fixing bugs constantly, and trying to implement features promised years ago.

2. The market on MMORPGs is becoming saturated. The myth of "MMORPG = cash" is becoming readily apparent. Publishers and developers must cater to the widest amount of people possible and stand above the rest in order to meet financial burdons and make a profit.

This is a concept Sheriff Fuckwit at Terra-Arcanum.com has never grasped, yet they kept pushing for a MMORPG with 10 times the complexity (development time, development cost, etc.) for only a mere fraction of the market. He was the epitome of an optomistic idiot. He didn't even understand the most basic of principles and I doubt he could even tell me what a "dumb client" was, aside that he was one of the T-A forums.

3. If the MMORPG fails, it will kill the title almost completely. As a failed object of a project that is attributed to "pure cash", no marketing cattle would ever consider that title again, save for perhaps a bit of name-dropping. The title is, in effect, dead.

4. The publisher becomes geared, in turn, to the MMORPG. It becomes instilled into most of their work. EA used to have an immense amount of development, but they have been building upon a few large titles while releasing a few minor ones. They have developed a lifeline upon the MMORPG and been feeding off of it to grow profits - not production. While it's seemingly good business-wise, it means less for gamers.

5. Interplay does not have the money to even begin considering a MMOPG project. Even the simplest of large-scale MMORPGs have taken a minimum of 2-3 years of development and a lot of money (a lot more to start than a single-player title). We're just talking about hack and slash. For what Sheriff Fuckwit wanted, and for Fallout to be done the same (as SF wanted Arcanum Online), it would take FAR more. Otherwise, you would just have a MMORPG that was just a shallow impersonation, much like how UO really was. Not to mention how speech and barter skills would be useless in a MMORPG... About all UO amounts to now is guild wars nonstop, but when you can get more than a dozen guilds warring against each other for much more than a year as the best spymaster UO's ever known, then it becomes a bit old hat. For the world complexity of Fallout or Arcanum, you would have to put much more into the game, which brings in all new areas for bugs to pop up into. Quite large areas, might I add, which would require a competent QA team.

Which Interplay neither has nor could afford to hire one, nor could contract this out to an independent developer like Turbine is to Microsft.
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

i read most posts, and i have to say, how much bullshit can one topic really hold.
First of all, if the Fallout series is even going online means that it is doing a total renewal of everything you think of the fallout universe, probably The time is going to be totally difference, and no its not going to take three days to actually walk 3 days as it says on map, that wouldnt work, so they are probably going to make it ALOT different. wich as, it will just take a long time to walk around places, not caring about the physics, and they would probably not have any timescale, except maybe day and night. Heck i cant even guess what they will have to do to make it fit an mmorpg.

And to those who complain about that this new installment is going to take away the feel of Fallout, well no sh*t sherlock, do you think they would implant some Turnbased crap into this, no. Plain and simple put it like this: Fallout Online is a game that is a totally new thing from the other fallouts. I understood this the minute i heard about it.

But i still think that this might be good, as long as someone actually buys the game :/
Being the Fallout fan i am i will purchase it anyways.

This game is probably going to be one of the biggest flops in history of gaming, since everyone critize instead of embracing.

I know i might write pretty weird but heck thats just me, and if you dont got some more fuel to add to this and you are just going to complain to hide your incapability to "add some fuel" then dont bother.
I've said my piece, and i dont care...
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

C-riz wrote: This game is probably going to be one of the biggest flops in history of gaming, since everyone critize instead of embracing.
Just like Dawn? That's a laugh and a half.

Fallout Online (FOOL) is not in production, nor will it ever be.

Interplay, as they are about $27 MIL US in debt, has no chance of funding such a project. For someone else to work on it, that would not be likely either.

I think the main reason why people who have an understanding of MMORPGs don't like the concept is because it would just be Fallout in name only. It's not practically possible for the many reasons I've listed in my above post, and it would be an incredibly bad idea.

If someone were to make a MUD or the sort, that's one thing. They have their own limitations and such, but do not have any real impact upon the core game aside from actually boosting the fan base (for good and bad, unfortunately). FOOL as an official title is a one-way ticket for Fallout to take a retirement into the sewers of Shitsville.
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

First of all, if the Fallout series is even going online
Rosh did you even read my whole post?
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

C-riz wrote:
First of all, if the Fallout series is even going online
Rosh did you even read my whole post?
Possilby a language barrier there, as you were speaking in definitives. Particularly with:
This game is probably going to be one of the biggest flops in history of gaming, since everyone critize instead of embracing.
Also, another item of note:
First of all, if the Fallout series is even going online means that it is doing a total renewal of everything you think of the fallout universe, probably The time is going to be totally difference,
It doesn't occur to you why many are against FOOL for this very reason? Again, in making it just have the name of Fallout and no facsimile of Fallout otherwise. Just like how UO was to Ultima. Just because it has the word "Fallout" in the title does not merit a purchase.

Fallout: The Bog Roll

Want to buy that, too?
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

If you had read that you would have understood what the second one was about, but i guess you didnt, and i dont really care as stated before what you think about it, since you are not changing my mind anytime near about FOOL.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

C-riz wrote:If you had read that you would have understood what the second one was about, but i guess you didnt,
I did read both posts. Other than reading a lot of "It could be cool if you just gave it a chance! You critics are going to kill it!", I didn't see anything new brought to the topic that wasn't already addressed.
and i dont really care as stated before what you think about it, since you are not changing my mind anytime near about FOOL.
Then I guess that makes the feeling mutual, as I don't have time for naive optimists and ubiquitous fan-boys that would buy a turd if it had a brand name carved into it. Fact is, I've been in MMORPG development (and general game development, too) before that term was even coined. For about 15 years.

Say...could you tell me what a "dumb client" is? To make it easy, I'll tell you that Telnet is one form.
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

So basically you are calling me a optimist, even though i said that this game was probably going to suck, well thats... original,

Oh yes, of course you have, 15 years before it even became a genre.
I would just like to say that PnP doesnt count.

And if you truly didnt care you wouldnt have posted some bs trying to flame me because of what i think. And i would probably not buy it if no one bought it or if it wasnt as popular as other games.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

C-riz wrote:So basically you are calling me a optimist, even though i said that this game was probably going to suck, well thats... original,
You said that it was because people were adverse to the idea that it would suck. I said it was because that Fallout would have to be drastically changed from what it is, is why most are against it, and because no team at Interplay has experience with MMORPG development as a whole and they really couldn't fund anything good.

Then you said you were adamant in your stance, which is perfectly fine. But however, you keep trying to change what you say, it appears.

Please note, I wasn't calling you an optimist, nor a fan-boy. I was just mentioning I had to deal with them on a routine basis.
Oh yes, of course you have, 15 years before it even became a genre.
I would just like to say that PnP doesnt count.
Just like there were CRPGs before that term was ever coined.

There were multiplayer online games as far back as the 70's, kid. Through many services, and most becoming more populate during the 80's. Or haven't you heard of M*s? Island of Kesmai is a particularly easy example.
And if you truly didnt care you wouldnt have posted some bs trying to flame me because of what i think. And i would probably not buy it if no one bought it or if it wasnt as popular as other games.
Do you even remember what you write or did someone hijack your keyboard while you weren't looking?

"But i still think that this might be good, as long as someone actually buys the game :/
Being the Fallout fan i am i will purchase it anyways."
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

Well again you proved one point just by quoting and commenting, The game would suck if no one plays it, if players actually plays it it would be more entertainging. Its the players that makes the games bad or good in mmorpgs, take a look at titles like Ragnarok online, or why not Anarchy online, how would it be playing it by yourself.
I guessed so. I guess Rosh will quote this and comment again oh well
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Yet if the game is just a mere shadow of what made it good in the first place...

Please try a bit harder and put some cause and effect behind your reasoning.

UO did well because it was the first one that was widely-advertised and had a brand name behind it. Now with the saturation of the market, a game has to build up a following first. If it doesn't really stick out above and beyond those examples you mentioned, then it must bring in from an established crowd. If that crowd sees something they didn't come into the fandom for in the first place, then they are going to be disinterested.

So, again, the game wouldn't do poorly because people are criticising it. It would do poorly because few would like the drastic change and it has no hope of being a major contender because Interplay has no funding for it. It isn't in the position of where Ultima was a little over 5 years ago. Another company buying the rights to Fallout for a MMORPG title is as likely slim.
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

Ragnarok is played by about 20 thousands ppl any time of the day, i think that is sufficient
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

Although it is only a free betatest, but still...
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Poor example, since 20k is a *very* small number. What you might think as sufficient isn't very much, given bandwith and other costs. But what do I know, eh? I've just been all around MMORPGs for a long time, including commercial and free, on both development and player sides.

I've also seen the gutter trash that constantly annoy the hell out of Gravity, and constantly attack them for no purpose. Including as of recent likely causing a server to be shut down for a while.

Already in beta, that game has been botted, cracked, duped, etc. and even the major fansites get terrorized. Already before release and in their beta, they have been the target of some of the truly worst attacks that a lot of others haven't really had, probably because the large ones have major backing to weed out and deal with such nuisances. Gravity isn't exactly a large-profile company.

Again, a truly poor example. Doubly so when the game is based off animation rather than a game series. Even more when you count the lacking number of Korean and Japanese MMORPGs which RO only has to deal with a few others, so they have a good foothold there. They don't feel the saturation that a lot of the MMORPG market in the US and Europe has, and the servers are local to Korea, which gives them an even greater advantage over many US-based MMORPGs. Anime games are a mixed bag when it comes to game development, but game series are another matter, if you only knew what you were talking about.

I don't know why you brought up Ragnarok Online, because it's highly irrelevent and lacks a definable point.
C-riz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by C-riz »

Like i said before 20k is sufficient for a beta test, you hardly knew of it and you have been around mmorpgs alot you say, then if it goes commercial and more people get into it, what would happed do you think?
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

C-riz wrote:Like i said before 20k is sufficient for a beta test,
You mean, like how you were wrong about being "sufficient". 20k is a small number for commercial, considering the beta-tests of most other MMORPGs. Given that it's FREE makes it an even smaller number.
you hardly knew of it and you have been around mmorpgs alot you say, then if it goes commercial and more people get into it, what would happed do you think?
Where did I say I hardly knew about it, or is that a straw man you're attempting to build there? I've known about it for quite some time, and that it's based upon the engine that their previous 7 CD release Arcturus used.

Most of their market is from Korea and Japan, given that is where the animation was released for the most part. Also, there's many facets of the game that wouldn't appeal to a massive amount of MMORPG players, which goes against the primary rules of commercial MMORPG development. In order to succeed financially, you need to cater to the widest audience available. RO's is in Japan and Korea. FOOL's would be in the US and Europe, if the hit percentage for region at NMA is anything to judge by. FOOL would have many more obstacles to get past in order to succeed, and if you think if FOOL was released in the US like how RO is, you're sadly mistaken. Interplay, in case the clue by four hasn't hit your head yet, isn't in any position to fund anything truly groundbreaking and it would result in crap. Even Gravity, whose capital is under a million dollars US, has a better chance than Interplay, because Gravity has a potentially larger share of pie because of the isolated and nearly untapped market. Plus, Interplay is so far in the hole they would be hard pressed to finance a long-run project like that, which also accounts for the stop and go development history of Fallout 3.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

C-riz wrote:i read most posts, and i have to say, how much bullshit can one topic really hold.
That's why you're adding to it?
First of all, if the Fallout series is even going online means that it is doing a total renewal of everything you think of the fallout universe, probably
More like ripping out pieces of it to get it to fit in to that MMORPG mold, because there's a shitload of "What is Fallout" that doesn't work in "What is an MMORPG". In fact, the SPECIAL system would most likely need to be tossed out entirely and replaced with something else that does fit "What is an MMORPG".

You want an example of what doesn't fit? The Speech skill. You can't make Speech prevent another player from doing something you want, and in a PvP situation, not kill you. You also can't have gobs and gobs of realistic or nigh realistic NPCs moving around because those are walking bags of numbers you have to transmit from the client to server. So basically, Speech would be useless and that's a whole, big branch of Fallout players you're tossing aside right there.
The time is going to be totally difference, and no its not going to take three days to actually walk 3 days as it says on map, that wouldnt work, so they are probably going to make it ALOT different. wich as, it will just take a long time to walk around places, not caring about the physics, and they would probably not have any timescale, except maybe day and night. Heck i cant even guess what they will have to do to make it fit an mmorpg.
So much for a desolate feeling to the world. :roll:

Notice that you're already willing to toss out a fairly important concept of Fallout, or any post apocalyptic setting for that matter, just so you can have a glorified IRC client with combat and a dabbling of Fallout references here and there.
And to those who complain about that this new installment is going to take away the feel of Fallout, well no sh*t sherlock, do you think they would implant some Turnbased crap into this, no. Plain and simple put it like this: Fallout Online is a game that is a totally new thing from the other fallouts. I understood this the minute i heard about it.
Which, BTW, is why everyone would be running around with guns. There's a few more skills disappearing from SPECIAL, the melee ones and most likely throwing as well.
But i still think that this might be good, as long as someone actually buys the game :/
You'd pretty much be stuck with the FOT clannies and newbies.
Being the Fallout fan i am i will purchase it anyways.
I'm sure there were a lot of X-Com fans that bought X-Com Enforcer. :roll:
I like cats, that doesn't mean I like catfish. Just because you tack on the name "Cat" doesn't mean it's a four legged mammal that eats mice.
I know i might write pretty weird but heck thats just me, and if you dont got some more fuel to add to this and you are just going to complain to hide your incapability to "add some fuel" then dont bother.
Funny, I haven't seen that you've added anything to this other than, "You people have to love it so it'll be kewl."
I've said my piece, and i dont care...
Which explains why you've posted half a dozen replies since making this statement?
Did you buy Fallout Tactics? If so, you've already bought one game that wasn't very popular. It might have sold well during it's first few weeks on the shelves, but given all the mistakes made in the game with the setting, how rushed it was, and how buggy, it wasn't very popular.

Pity Rosh already pointed out that you already said you would buy it in your first post.
The game would suck if no one plays it, if players actually plays it it would be more entertainging.
I'm sure if Fallout Hummer Racing were made, it'd be entertaining. That doesn't mean it's a good thing for the series, does it? After all, Hummers don't fit Fallout's 1950s retro style nor is there any gasoline around to race with.
------------------
Our Host!