Borked map triggers (spliced from turnbased game thread)

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Borked map triggers (spliced from turnbased game thread)

Post by Retlaw83 »

And FoT isn't turn-based, because that option is so horribly broken that it's a joke. The CTB mode isn't bad, though, especially if you use my classic weapons pack to make it feel more Fallouty.
Last edited by Retlaw83 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Retlaw83 wrote:And FoT isn't turn-based, because that option is so horribly broken that it's a joke. The CTB mode isn't bad, though, especially if you use my classic weapons pack to make it feel more Fallouty.
Tut tut, no cheap advertising. :) And it's the CTB mode that's horrible, the game's unplayable unless in one of the TB modes.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Retlaw83 wrote:And FoT isn't turn-based, because that option is so horribly broken that it's a joke. The CTB mode isn't bad, though, especially if you use my classic weapons pack to make it feel more Fallouty.
Tut tut, no cheap advertising. :) And it's the CTB mode that's horrible, the game's unplayable unless in one of the TB modes.
Are you crazy? The triggers in Quincy - and not to mention that campaign I made - are all horrible broke in turnbased mode.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

I didn't have any problems with your campaign in TB except the end mission was a touch too long, nor with Quincy. The only mission where the triggers didn't really work in TB was Preoria, turning the turrets on and off.

Problems with the triggering are more down to level design rather than the TB modes being broke.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

In Quincy, the triggers to diffuse the bombs in the power plant got wonky when I play TB.

Maybe a General Gaming mod could split the topic where we derailed it and stick this part of the conversation in "Fallout Tactics and other Spinoffs?"
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Retlaw83 wrote:In Quincy, the triggers to diffuse the bombs in the power plant got wonky when I play TB.
I wouldn't know about that since I've never failed taking out the hostiles before the timers were activated. Though timers can seem to get a little funky in TB, IIRC they only count down after everyone has a turn, kind of like the vehicles only move after all your squad have taken their turn, but they do still countdown properly.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I always liked TB over CTB.

I never encountered any weird stuff with the triggers or any that shit while in turn-based mode.
The game gets too damn hasty if it's in real-time, god damn it.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

When I first got the game I played in CTB because after playing several RPGs where you only had control over the one character, controlling the entire squad seemed such a chore. After playing JA2 I replayed FOT in TB mode and haven't looked back. Yes the TB mode doesn't live up to JA2s, no cost for turning to face you enemy or switching weapons in the handslots, no covering fire etc but since I had gotten used to controlling 18 people in JA2, controlling just 6 no longer felt a chore. As I said the only trigger problems I seen with TB are the turrets in Preoria, but that could be down to which triggers were used, after all there's at least one TB only trigger so there might be a couple that were only meant for use in CTB.

In CTB the game feels like it's playing itself, like Dungeon Siege, you only have the suggestion of control.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote: In CTB the game feels like it's playing itself, like Dungeon Siege, you only have the suggestion of control.
Actually, that makes it feel a little more Fallouty for me. Just tell your guys what to do and sit back to see if the SPECIAL system works for them. The franticness works for me, but when playing in CTB you do have to drop into TB occasionally to synchronize attacks and memorize your keyboard shortcuts for switching characters and such.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!