I suck at mathematics...

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Kashluk

I suck at mathematics...

Post by Kashluk »

... therefore I need your help. This isn't a home assignment or anything, it's just something that's been puzzling me about functions / derivatas etc. I'm on my second course of this specific matter but I still can't draw profitability figures!

The problem is as follows:
Research has shown that if the shop owner lowers the price of his merchandise by p %, their sales will grow by 1,1p %. Optimize the shop owner's sales strategy (ie. With what value of p can he earn the most?)
I know that I can find the peaks and lows from the zero points when I derive the function, but I'm having trouble making the function in the first place. I mean, how could it be done as simply as possible? It's simpler with just one factor, but I think calculating this out requires two? And as I said, I can handle it from the f'(x) point onward, I just need to get to the f(x) phase first...

Yes, I know. I suck at maths.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Here's my suggestion.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Now, I consider myself to be at least somewhat intelligent. Yet maths of anything other than the simplest varieties makes my eyes burn with the bitter tears of frustration, metaphorically writing. Extremely irritating that. :drunk:
Ozrat
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Ozrat »

Is this economics math, calculus-related, probability, statistics.... what? Elaborate please, if this is your second course in this math field.
ExtremeRyno wrote:I don't really represent the views that I've written here in this thread... I just like to type.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Your only variable is p (the percentage by which you drop the price, probably smarter to express it in straight up decimal), so don't sweat multivar shit. P = profit = # sales * price . # sales = m * (1.1p + 1) where m is the base number of sales and constant. price = (n * [1-p]) where n is the base price and a constant.

So I think the total function is P = (m * [1.1p + 1]) * (n * [1-p])

And so P = (1.1pm + m) * (n - np)

= 1.1pmn - 1.1p^2mn + mn - pmn

=0.1pmn + (1 - 1.1p^2)mn

= (0.1p + 1 - 1.1p^2)mn

m and n are constant as stated above:

m = base number of sales
n = base price
p = price drop in percentage (remember that 25% = 0.25 and so on when fitting p into the function)

And it's a cute lil upside down parabola.

I think.

And word to the wise, writing decimals with a comma is for Eurocommies, real men use decimal POINTS.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, the schooling system over here in Finland differs quite a lot from the one you have in Canada, but to make a long story short: I'm on "senior high school" at the moment and I get to choose between two lines of mathematics. The short route or the long route, while the short route doesn't get any more complicated from (ax^2+bx+c) the long route prepares us for university math, some of the latter courses actually being almost identical to first uni-level courses.

Long route means 10 courses (short's only 6), which is in other words 60 weeks of study, 4 lessons a week. I'm on the 7th at the moment. The 6th and 7th course have concentrated on deriving functions and all practical forms of it. So I was browsing through my book, frustrated because I couldn't find anything that was even close to real world (I mean, fucking around with some symmetrical figures and meaningless numbers gets kind of idiotic after a while), when I stumbled upon that puzzle/job/whatever I described in my first post.

And so I took it as my mini-crusade to solve it, no matter what. I hope you're happy with my explination and can start helping me out now, engie :|

EDIT: Ok, yo yo, Spazmo answered while I was typing to Ozie. Stay tuned for my response.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Spazmo wrote:And word to the wise, writing decimals with a comma is for Eurocommies, real men use decimal POINTS.
The funny thing is I saw a comma used instead of a decimal point on a box of South African 7.62mm NATO ammo I bought a while back (it was stated as "7,62 NATO").
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Alrighty, Spazmo.

I turned around the function a little bit so it's more familiar to me, I hope you won't mind?
The commas are still there, too - for the proletariat! Anyways, let's hit it:

So, dealing with
f(x) = (0,1p + 1 - 1,1p^2)mn
requires derivation:

f'(x) = (0,1 + 0 - 2*[1,1p]) + 0
= - 2,2p + 0,1 = 0

The above equals nil, because the peak can be found from the point where the derivat changes direction, right?

2,2p = 0,1
p = 0,0454...
0,0454*100 ~ 4,5 % !

And according to the back pages of my book... It's correct. Thank you very much, Spaz.
You've lifted a rock off of my heart. Now I can finally sleep my nights well.

XXX OOO

Your dearest friend at the moment,
Senior Captain Kashluk Buttlugian (jr)
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Why is it that math on the internet looks retarded and takes 60 more steps than required?
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Always happy to wave my math penis around. Not such a difficult problem, of course.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, I was pretty close to what you posted (the early parts of your post, to be more accurate) when I decided to give up. I was trying to do it the way-too-difficult-way though, with multible variables and shit. "Simplicity is the answer"? I dunno. But thanks anyways, you learn something new every day.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Don't feel bad. I failed math 124: Differential calculus.

I'm taking it again.
Mainly because I didn't do the homework and just played video games and jerked off.
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

I always wondered how people can concentrate on mathematics.......it's so utterly BORING.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

If memory serves me right you wrote that you're studying medical biology, Lynxer. While I like the subject myself, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that most people regard it as "utterly BORING", as you put it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I like math mainly because I freakin suck at English. I dont know how to elaborate or write good. You dont have to think in math, it just all procedures unless you have to use it in real life then your screwed.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

I'm the opposite. Math is boring as fuck because you can't do anything with it. English is a breeze; just think up a bunch of meaningless, pretentious wankdoodle, call it a term paper, and you've got an A.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Comparing the intrinsic value of math versus language is totally masturbatory since they're both essential to the development of civilization.

That said, I'm sure Subhuman can't do anything with math because he's a total muffinhead. For real (wo)men, math is one of the most rewarding things to study because it gets pretty fucking cool once you really get in there.

RPG Codex
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

If by "cool" you mean "mind-numbingly repetitive, tedious and boring", then yeah, math is hella cool.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

This is why I'm majoring in nothing mathematicall.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

As I've seen the gleam of mathematical ecstasy in the eyes of students, friends and colleagues, I know it must be wildly intriguing to some, I also know that I will probably never experience it on that level. I'll cope though, as I frequently experience a fantastic purely intellectual high from writing and sharing that work and the resultant camaraderie and debate with others of similar interests. Huzzah. :drunk:
Our Host!