Campaign Start Pos (split from dev questions sticky)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Ellusion
SDF!
SDF!

Question

Post by Ellusion »

Is it possible, in a campaign enviroment, to have the created/choosen playercharacter start in a bunker opposed to being dropped in mission01? And if so, how? Could be I'm not just seeing the obvious but I can't seem to find any reference to start position *inside* a mission/bunker?

Cheers
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: Question

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Ellusion wrote:Is it possible, in a campaign enviroment, to have the created/choosen playercharacter start in a bunker opposed to being dropped in mission01? And if so, how? Could be I'm not just seeing the obvious but I can't seem to find any reference to start position *inside* a mission/bunker?

Cheers
You can pick anywhere to start with the Pos menu in the campaign editor. Its just placing the green marker on which ever map you want the player to pop into from the get go.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Forty-six & Two wrote:
Ellusion wrote:Is it possible, in a campaign enviroment, to have the created/choosen playercharacter start in a bunker opposed to being dropped in mission01? And if so, how? Could be I'm not just seeing the obvious but I can't seem to find any reference to start position *inside* a mission/bunker?

Cheers
You can pick anywhere to start with the Pos menu in the campaign editor. Its just placing the green marker on which ever map you want the player to pop into from the get go.
There's more to it than just that, I think the pos marker mainly effects things when you go to the world map. You also need to change your campaign txt so that the line "campaigns/missions/core/mission01.mis;mission_name_01;37;visited;false", becomes "campaigns/missions/core/mission01.mis;mission_name_01;37;covered;false", and then alter the line regarding the bunker from covered to visited. Then re-import the data into the cam file. You'll also need to remove the start team from the first mission and add them to the bunker. Plus you'll need to alter the triggers so that you can get the first mission from the General.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Forty-six & Two wrote:

Cheers
There's more to it than just that, I think the pos marker mainly effects things when you go to the world map. You also need to change your campaign txt so that the line "campaigns/missions/core/mission01.mis;mission_name_01;37;visited;false", becomes "campaigns/missions/core/mission01.mis;mission_name_01;37;covered;false", and then alter the line regarding the bunker from covered to visited. Then re-import the data into the cam file. You'll also need to remove the start team from the first mission and add them to the bunker. Plus you'll need to alter the triggers so that you can get the first mission from the General.
Yeah, thats true. Sorry. Heh. I guess I didnt go to much into details with that reply =).
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

Ok anybody, you all seem pretty adept with FOT editting....

Is here any way to change random encounter skin tones? They are randomly selected from the ones available when you create a character, is there any way to change these? How about the FOT font style? It is saved as a PNG, i want to import a new font for the menu, can i do this? What Sprite editors are available to import vehicle/infantry sprites then, and what programs has everyone used to create thier own 3D graphics in (with cameras etc)? And is it possible to increase the chance of a weapon malfunctioning? How about changing the move speed on the campaign map, how is this achieved? And last but not least, my ambient sound files music entries dont work properly, any help?
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

For 3d modelling info, check this thread. It has lots of answers from Gareth Davies from Microforte who worked on the game.

The fonts aren't too difficult to create. Open up the existing fonts in Photoshop and use it as a guide. You need to add your new font on a new layer then make an alpha channel out of it. Search the archives here, there may be a thread on it.

Changing the move speed on the campaign map has not been figured out yet if it is possible. There is a recent thread on it here.
Last edited by Jimmyjay86 on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

Thanks, and also thanks for directing me to this site, i suppose this is where the 'Hardcore' modders go....

Ive been searching the forums for a couple of days, there are loads of tips that could be very useful indeed, if only they where compiled into an advanced editor tutorial. Things like the 'Grid Res' trick really do save time.

About the world map, i take it people have experimented with alpha channels/layers?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Tc63 wrote:Thanks, and also thanks for directing me to this site, i suppose this is where the 'Hardcore' modders go....
Yes, it is the only place.
Ive been searching the forums for a couple of days, there are loads of tips that could be very useful indeed, if only they where compiled into an advanced editor tutorial. Things like the 'Grid Res' trick really do save time.
I tried to keep up for awhile and have a decent collection on my site. But if you want to take up the job, I'm sure it would be appreciated! Any tutorials you want to compile could be put up at my site.
About the world map, i take it people have experimented with alpha channels/layers?
Yeah, I have tried many ways to create an impassable area but I think we came to the conclusion it is built into the game code to match the map.
Tc63
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Tc63 »

Oh yeah, JJ, did NMA host your site for you or what? Im trying to create my own web page for the mod im working on, but i am quite new to frontpage and webhosting, are there any decent (free) hosters out there that will support frontpage?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah NMA hosts my page. I think Geocities is a good alternative that should support Frontpage. Its basically html so it shouldn't matter.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Question: I'm creating some sprites for my map and I need a specific item, but can't find one. Does anyone know if there is some 3d Mop model or pic available somewhere(free)? If so do provide a link.

flamescreen
xkcon
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by xkcon »

Hi everyone, I have a few requests to humbly submit to you programming/modding gods.

1] I need a Balaclava sprite(for the inventory only) , I like my crew to be masked when taking down scores.. hehe. Seriously I just want it for a trigger like... if player has tagitem(balaclava) in inventory/equipped then set variable 'No_Positive_ID' to true, and then my squad can return to the town afterward and not be attacked by the local guard.

2] a small electrical power/wirebox sprite, any small rectangular box would do. something that would look good mounted high on a wall or on a powerline pole.

3] a blastable wall sprite, I've already used the awesome blastable door sprites (just what i needed) but a blastable wall sprite could be used in many circumstances. a blastable cave wall or ruined_city_T2 stonewalls would be a great addition for making cool situations for anyone's campaign.

I really dont know enough about making sprites, and if they would just release the sprite/tile editors, I wouldnt have to bother you guys.

if any of you masters could help me out in anyway that would be greatly appreciated.
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

I have a question; H-h-h-how do I get maps I've downloaded/made myself work? When I select them inside FOT the load button turns grey...?
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

xkcon wrote:Hi everyone, I have a few requests to humbly submit to you programming/modding gods.

1] I need a Balaclava sprite(for the inventory only) , I like my crew to be masked when taking down scores.. hehe. Seriously I just want it for a trigger like... if player has tagitem(balaclava) in inventory/equipped then set variable 'No_Positive_ID' to true, and then my squad can return to the town afterward and not be attacked by the local guard.

2] a small electrical power/wirebox sprite, any small rectangular box would do. something that would look good mounted high on a wall or on a powerline pole.

3] a blastable wall sprite, I've already used the awesome blastable door sprites (just what i needed) but a blastable wall sprite could be used in many circumstances. a blastable cave wall or ruined_city_T2 stonewalls would be a great addition for making cool situations for anyone's campaign.

I really dont know enough about making sprites, and if they would just release the sprite/tile editors, I wouldnt have to bother you guys.

if any of you masters could help me out in anyway that would be greatly appreciated.
xkcon this was a thread to ask one of the developers about aspects of the game, (Mr moderator, since Section 8 is no longer around perhaps this thread should be locked and these last few posts split off into appropriate new topics?)
Kahgan wrote:I have a question; H-h-h-how do I get maps I've downloaded/made myself work? When I select them inside FOT the load button turns grey...?
What version of the game are you running? And are these the same maps you were having trouble with at NMA
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Looking for a little of this action, Req?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

What moderating? Nah,

"Mr Retlaw... don't make me moderate... you wouldn't like me when I moderate... Paraphrasing like hell. ;)
Our Host!