Dan's catgirls....

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Bluepencil
Gestapo
Gestapo

Post by Bluepencil »

I wasn't trying to tear into your art, at the time I just wanted to see something different.
What you were trying to do is of no point. You were not tearing into my art; you were merely saying something in ignorance then tried to defend said ignorance. It was hardly criticism, it's a useless and shortsighted statement. Which had the end result of making you sound like an asshole, thereby making me find you funny.

Your problem is that you think I am obligated to do what you want, instead of just ignoring you when you are offering nothing of value. ^_~
Yea, that's a lot better.
Why? Because now you think you can dictate what I should be doing with my art?

I am not under any compulsion to please you, or to show myself superior to anyone. With constructive criticism, people can improve; but the problem with critics is that they are also capable of giving useless comments.

Artists, learn this. Maintain too your own self-respect or you become a waste of a human being. Learn to whom you must listen, from those you can respect as well. It's not that I don't appreciate those who commented, thank you all; but there has to be room for artistic license now and then.

Please, forgive the tone of this post. But that, is the sheer principle of thing.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

I think by that, he just means he likes that one more.

Cool pic by the way.

One fish, Two fish, Dead fish, Blue fish. Hahaha!
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Megatron didn't make a statement out of ignorance..He made a statement from the information (pictures) presented to him...And looking back, I agree with his assessment of what you've posted on DAC. You had previously only shown us scantly clad, ill-proportioned, and boring women.

Did we know you could do other things? Yeah..But we couldn't very well critique what we couldn't see.

The only person being an asshole in this thread seems to be you, Bpen. Seriously, a board full of teens and 20-somethings is not a place to get a true critique other than "that sucks." Sure some have taken art classes, but I doubt any one of them have a PhD in Studio Art.

When I dropped out of college, I was two classes away from having a BA in Studio Art...I could consider myself qualified to critique your work...But this is the internet, and a true critique makes for a boring read.

The Boring Women of Bpen: A critique by Ryno

The arms and legs are either too thick or too thin...The necks remind me of those African hoop-necked women, and the heads look like something hastily thrown together from a book of anime. And what's up with those glasses in these cat-girls? They look like lopsided, empty frames. Light refracts...There would be cast shadow, and reflected light. And the hands in general appear pretty skeletal compared to the otherwise meatier bodies...Can we say "Concentration Camp Whores"? How's that for a short critique? I could go on if you wish.

The New Lizard Thing by Bpen: A critique by Ryno

This seems a truely inspired work. Though it is fantasy in nature, the creatures seem almost real and they stand out nicely against the background. Great use of colors. Aside from all the niceness, there is still a lack of proportion. The red lizard's legs are out of whack...And why does his tail go upside down and stay upside down. That's an uncomfortable position, I suppose, and even pet lizards will keep their tail un-twisted in most moving/croutching positions. The background, though nice on the left just looks forgotten on the right. The tops of those trees are a deep black...Why is this black not continued as a moonless sky to the right? Or possibly a moon-ed sky? Looks incomplete.

Yes, I liked the Lizard picture.
Last edited by ExtremeDrinker on Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Bluepencil wrote:
What you were trying to do is of no point. You were not tearing into my art; you were asdfadsghsfjkhsh
It was a fucking suggestion you dick. I said it like a normal person and you freak out.

No, I just like it.
I am not under any compulsion to please you, or to show myself superior to anyone. With constructive criticism, people can improve; but the problem with critics is that they are also capable of giving useless comments.
I didn't say that, you're just trying to act tuff because you seemed to do what somebody said. I don't give a shit, neither do a lot of other people.
Artists, learn this. Maintain too your own self-respect or you become a waste of a human being. Learn to whom you must listen, from those you can respect as well. It's not that I don't appreciate those who commented, thank you all; but there has to be room for artistic license now and then.
Ah, so we can't give requests or suggestions if you find them ignorant? Thanks for letting us know, you being such an experienced artist and everything.

Guys, learn this. No matter how many people kiss your ass, chances are not everybody will like you. But instead of crying like a baby whenever somebody doesn't like something for no reason, he's still entitled to his opinion.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Kinda overreacting there, Bpen.

The man simply said you're repeating yourself and you explode. He wasn't even trying to taunt, I think

The whole thing went something like
1:This is my work
2:I don't realy like it
1:Who the hell are you to tell me what's good? Piss off
2:Uh, yeah, anyway, think you can make something different?
1:THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW?! FUCK YOU HAHAHAHAHAHA IDJICT and alright, here it is
2:Hey, I like it
1:IT'S MY WORK UOY CNT TELL ME WHYT TO DRAW K? FUCK R U EVER STUPD
2:Huh?

My guess is that there was a communication shortcut here... either that or somebody's growing angsty...

So, like, kiss and make up, you fucking homos.

Unedjumicated Comments!

On the cat girls
Im not quite fond of semi-erotic furry art. I still like the sketchy style though.

On the lizard picture
It's ok. I enjoyed the gasping-for-air expression.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Bpen, it's not like you're a brilliant artist or anything. You may be able to draw - quite well, mind you - but until you create something either really brilliant or inventive you can't use that as a crutch to fall on. Don't try to be a delicate genius when you're not one, please.

As for the criticism thing, I know a lot about that, and I can tell you that one-liners such as Megatron's can tell you a lot. Not as much as a fully written review or anything, but they're still useful, and plus, they take less time to read. Megatron is a very wise man, a guru if you will.

Anyway, now for some concise reviews.

On the cat girls: well-drawn but gross. I wonder why you were drawing catgirls in the first place if you don't take them seriously.

On the lizard: my 56k took too long to load it, so I said fuck it and went on IRC.

Anyway, your stuff ain't bad.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

Well, even though I do take Bpen's side (You guys are being overly critical)
C'mon guys, lets be civil.
EzekielLyne (8:34:01 PM): would you be the one they make fun of?
EzekielLyne (8:34:31 PM): like "This here is John, the retarded gamer, he enjoys madden 2005, and grand theft auto
EzekielLyne (8:35:02 PM): and he is eagerly expecting the arrival of the next Lara Croft game
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I think the best post so far is atoga's...He summed up everything very nicely...Especially the "brilliant artist" thing.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Hmm I was asked to lock this... but I don't see the reason why.

TG's right, BP is reacting a bit sour? *shrugs*

As for Atoga practicing the danish "Jantelov", which means; "Don't think you're "someone!" " or "Don't act tough!", I disagree.

Like Bpen stated, don't let people tell you what you should draw.
If he wants to draw semi-naked cat-girls, fine, that's his choice. Don't like it? Then kiss his ass, or try to look at the other parts of his work.
The detail, the physique and pose, or the hidden "story" behind the character. Those are what, imo, makes it important.

I was pretty much offended not long ago, when my manga-wannabe pics were branded as unimaginative, cliché and so on.

Calling me unimaginative and a lousy artist because I draw what thousands of other people draw? Sure, view it as that, but then what?
Want me to go all abstract or make drawings of weird characters with waterpipes for hands before it's acknowledged? (No offence.)

Who exactly is the nearsighted one?

=/

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, how about letting artists draw what-ever the fuck they want without bashing them for once?
Testicular Pugilist
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I don't think anybody said 'hey draw this' I just said 'hye draw somethign different mebbe LOL'
:chew:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Smiley wrote:As for Atoga practicing the danish "Jantelov", which means; "Don't think you're "someone!" " or "Don't act tough!", I disagree.
Well, judging by the content of his posts, Bpen does think he's "someone!" in that sense of the word. His drawings, in the technical sense, are good, but they lack inspiration. I'm simply telling him that he can't use his ability to draw as a crutch. I'm also suggesting that he draw something a little less formulaic.
Smiley wrote:Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, how about letting artists draw what-ever the fuck they want without bashing them for once?
As I said, no problem... just don't expect to be taken seriously when you show off your pics and go "look at meeeeeeee!!!"
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

atoga wrote:
Smiley wrote:As for Atoga practicing the danish "Jantelov", which means; "Don't think you're "someone!" " or "Don't act tough!", I disagree.
Well, judging by the content of his posts, Bpen does think he's "someone!" in that sense of the word. His drawings, in the technical sense, are good, but they lack inspiration. I'm simply telling him that he can't use his ability to draw as a crutch. I'm also suggesting that he draw something a little less formulaic.
Smiley wrote:Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, how about letting artists draw what-ever the fuck they want without bashing them for once?
As I said, no problem... just don't expect to be taken seriously when you show off your pics and go "look at meeeeeeee!!!"
I don't take myself seriously...But if I did, I certainly wouldn't do it on DAC..

So who told you to look at this thread, Smiley? Someone probably took offense to my ass.
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

Me.
I did.
I don't like when people argue stupidly about things that don't need to be fought over in the first place

""I post on this board not to get praise but to repay a debt I owe Dan (Wood). ""

See, so quit bitching!
Graar.
EzekielLyne (8:34:31 PM): like "This here is John, the retarded gamer, he enjoys madden 2005, and grand theft auto
EzekielLyne (8:35:02 PM): and he is eagerly expecting the arrival of the next Lara Croft game
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I don't really understand. Some fako artiste is allowed to be a whiny bitch and we're just meant to say 'Yea Great! Keep up the good work!'
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Megatron wrote:I don't really understand. Some fako artiste is allowed to be a whiny bitch and we're just meant to say 'Yea Great! Keep up the good work!'
Dude, I even encouraged you.
Testicular Pugilist
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

we're just meant to say 'Yea Great! Keep up the good work!'

Well, you do that to other people and they have much worse art than our venerable bpen. Maybe I'll post some of my pics, although I don't tend to draw Post apoc stuff.
Last edited by JohnPnP on Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

But they tried? BP's stuff is just repetitive drawings that don't seem to have much effort behind them then he expects everyone to slap him on the back and lick his ass or something.
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

No, goddamnit he doesn't, you asshat. He says in the beginning "Critiqe me, I will learn to do better" but instead of critiqing you fucking flame him. Goddamn I wish people who just STFU. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

but that's the point? I suggested he could do something more imaginative in a friendly way then he acts like a fucking dick about it.

love thy neighbour john, you damn bpen fanboi :(
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

Jeus christ, I posted more in these last few fays here than i usually post in a month...
Sad.
Anyway, this topic is getting pointless. None of us are moving to the other side. I say it gets locked.
Our Host!