New Drawing in the Works

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

merzbow on the other hand is pretty fucking awful.
Well, that's sort of the point: to redefine music by shattering the mould with a sledgehammer of painful sound.

Too much cookie-cutter music out there that uses the same traditional musical rules. Merzbow is the cure.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Neon Dingo wrote:
merzbow on the other hand is pretty fucking awful.
Well, that's sort of the point: to redefine music by shattering the mould with a sledgehammer of painful sound.

Too much cookie-cutter music out there that uses the same traditional musical rules. Merzbow is the cure.
well I don't know if I want to be cured if breaking the rules means that the music ends up sounding boring, even disgusting (in a bad way). There's a lot of good stuff that only "bends" the rules (aphex twin and others you're probably aware of anyway) and isn't inaesthetic noise... while I agree that a lot of music is often too formulaic I don't think stuff a'la merzbow is the cure, sometimes it's better to follow the rules, it may not offer you many surprises but it will please your ears. xTREME music every now and then is ok if you're getting bored of the old stuff, but I think it gets boring as fast too

"massive attack vs mad professor - no protection" is an interesting album, try it maybe
enough of that then, gtgthxby
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Merzbow is nice because as far as I can tell, "music" cannot get any harder. It's like Industrial Ambient, although it's about as much of a polar opposite from Ambient as you can get. Some of Merzbow's melodic stuff is actually quite Ambient... meh I like it all. It's real hard to listen to, but when you don't want to think at all it's amazing. And, like I said, great Doom BGM.

Heh, I'm glad my thread got to be about dead babies and Merzbow in addition to my art :D I feel special.

That said, here's what I came up with for my final coloring job -
http://www.geocities.com/extreme_walkin ... -demo7.txt

The next step is to do the "inking" for the background... I'd imagine this is going to take some time, seeing as it fills the entire 3550 x 2200 canvas. Then I'm gonna color it. I donno if I'm gonna do frequent "steps" like I did for the creature, depends on if I like how it's coming and how fast it goes I guess.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Meh here's an update, since the background is taking sooo long. It's tedious as hell :-! C'mon folks I need some inspiration to continue, my momentum is running thin.

http://www.geocities.com/extreme_walkin ... -demo8.txt
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

have him talking to LITTLE ONES lolol

It looks like an ear a little bit? but it's hard to show the eariness of it from the inside so HYE
:chew:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I like the rectal cavity window onto a peaceful outdoors scene.

Inspiration: Blood soaked flooring..Wooden is quick..Plus you only have to draw some lines...If you're really into the "internal organ" look, just draw some shiny lumps at random on the floor..Same with the wall...

How about a bloody intrail cobweb thing?
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Neon Dingo wrote:Too much cookie-cutter music out there that uses the same traditional musical rules. Merzbow is the cure.
Or you could wash your hands of the music industry all together and convert to classical?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Classical is just pop from days gone by though, I find it incredibly frivolous for the most part, seeing as I've had to listen to it for hours on end the last couple days. I work in the home audio department of circuit city, and my one co-worker has a test on it, he needs to memorize song titles, ergo I had to listen to it to. There are some good ones, but most is really nothing special, like anything else.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

yea, classical isn't that special. I find most music is shit, but there's no reason to complain as there's at least a few good bands about.
:chew:
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Keep in mind, classical was being composed over a time period of about 350 years, the early stuff can seem "frivolous" and "uncool". Try some of the later stuff from the Romantic Era, circa 1800-1920. Try Dvorak's 12th quartet ("The American"), that's my recommendation.

If you want the best, most fiery and passionate piece ever written, try Schubert's 14th string quartet "Death and the Maiden".

Seriously, kazaa these two pieces, it's worth it.

Whatever you do, NEVER try to generalize classical music. It just makes you sound ignorant and uniformed.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Megatron wrote:have him talking to LITTLE ONES lolol
I concur.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Franz_Schubert wrote:Whatever you do, NEVER try to generalize classical music. It just makes you sound ignorant and uniformed.
So, how does telling us to wash our hands of the music industry completely and reject all modern music make you any less ignorant? Not cool.

As for little ones... meh maybe. Once I finish the background I'll see just how much more effort I'd want to put in lol.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

He could be the wierd alien village storyteller.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

SuperH wrote:So, how does telling us to wash our hands of the music industry completely and reject all modern music make you any less ignorant? Not cool.
I'm suggesting that you increase your exposure to stuff that is new to you. You are making blanket statements on a topic you know nothing about.

Also, I have a hunch that the classical you were listening to was the "mainstream" classical (mozart, vivaldi, etc.). I can definitely see how it can be viewed as frivolous, especially to people who are used to hard core rock/metal and such.
Frank_Scubert wrote:Seriously, kazaa these two pieces, it's worth it.
After you do this, I dare you to tell me that "classical music is frivolous".
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

I like Wagner. Any symphony that predates it seems.....'frivolous'? I just don't seem to be able to wholeheartedly enjoy your typical renaissance/baroque pandemonium.

Despise me for being ignorant? I tend to listen to music i actually find worth listening to.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Um, you call the "Unfinished Symphony" frivolous? "The New World"?? "Jupiter"???? "Beethoven's 5th????" Are you mad, sir?

The Baroque era didn't just end and go straight to Wagner. You forgot the Classical and Romantic eras!

And I don't like the Renaissance era at all, way to frivolous. Some Baroque is frivolous, but stick to the masters and you'll be fine (Bach, Vivaldi, Correlli, Handel, etc.)

All you need from the Classical era is Schubert, Beethoven, and some Mozart.

The Renaissance exploded with genius, particularly Russian, though the European was also strong, and the French made their debut in this era (Debussy, Saint-Sans, Satie, and to some extent Ravel)

20th century was pretty much just an extreme version of the Romantic era, except the Germans started to suck and the Russians just got better (Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Rachmaninov, etc.)
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Franz_Schubert wrote:Also, I have a hunch that the classical you were listening to was the "mainstream" classical (mozart, vivaldi, etc.). I can definitely see how it can be viewed as frivolous, especially to people who are used to hard core rock/metal and such.
It probably was mainstream, it was for some class. Also, you don't know what I listen to, actually, incase you forgot, this whole debate began because I listen to something that's incredibly non-mainstream. Nothing I listen to is mainstream but New Wave.

I say that some of what I heard was frivolous, because all I could picture while listening to those songs was a bunch of aristocratic high-society women sitting around and giggling to some inane joke while attending a performance. That's the general mood I got from certain classical pieces. lol and Wagner made me laugh because he was an inspiration for Hitler.

The 5th was good, everyone knows that. I don't particularly feel a need to expand my musical interests into anyone else's genre at the moment, I'm quite happy moving at my own pace and in my own direction.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Lately I've become enamored with the soundtracks for SSX 3 and Jet Set Radio Future...I've never been a big fan of techno, but these songs have words and a beat.

And right after I downloaded the JSRF soundtrack, I started hearing a few songs on a local "alternative" station, so I've lost respect for those songs.

Mainstreaming makes me mad...I listen to a band for a few months, then all of a sudden they're on the radio and everyone knows that one song, and they act like they've known the band since they were out...Like Bowling for Soup..I've got all their albums, and I saw them in concert at some club before they had an album deal...Now everyone knows and loves them because of the one song they played on the radio.

Same with Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab, and The Oblongs...I watched those from day one...For weeks none of my friends liked the show..Then I heard someone on the radio talking about them...The next day, everyone was talking about how cool those shows are, and I lost interest...Except in ATHF...I still watch that religiously...Can't get enough...Same thing happened with Family Guy...I think I single-handedly kept that show on FOX..I even sent letters to make sure they were making a new season after the season 1...No one I know liked or even watched it...But when they came out on Cartoon Network, everyone and their dog had apparently been fans for life...I didn't even need to buy the DVD's...I already had every episode on 10x CDRs dating back to original air-dates...So fuck all you Cartoon Network yuppies.
evilmonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by evilmonkey »

Nice work SuperH - now the background is not that good...

nice monster anyway, even if it took me forever to view it due to the .txt geocide fucking format.

As for music breaking rules are fine, but breaking rules for the breaking of rules is pretty pointless, and even more so if you don't know the rules in the first place.

Merzbow is pretty fun though, but his body of work is so huge, and such a bothersome task to dive it as most of it sucks, and I prefered other noise artists, perhaps more "mainstream" then merzbow, the later being more the cult artist that wants to paint the world in his own colours - even if that might be pretty boring.

Now the thing about classical music or any art previous to the culture industry revolution - you can't really call those artifacts of old anything like pop - see they are not made under the same conditions as now - and they have more incommon with the indy movment, or those few still paid by the state and not the industry.
Black is the Colour that Shines on my Path
Black is the Colour of Freedom
Our Host!