Red!Viewer... Good news? Or ... News?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Eh... Remove? Uh... all I see is Add, Insert, Del, Up, and Down.

Is 1024x768 not enough?

Oh, and I have a BUG TO REPORT!!! YAAAAAY!!!

I'm workin' with the Flame Normal.til (Tiles -> Generic tiles -> Generic Objects -> Fire -> Flame Normal.til), trying to make multiple fires with different animations (so I can have, say, a burning tree with 3 fire tiles "on" it, and not have all three fires look like they're burning in unison).

Anyway, when I click on the 14th sequence (er, the last one. The one labelled 14) and hit Down, the viewer crashes (the error message is like, "Redviewer caused an error in VBSomethingOrOtherM60.DLL, Redviewer will now close.")

It happens every time I try it, so I think you can replicate it. Note that if I select the same sequence and hit Up, everything's fine. Same goes for the "0th" sequence and Up/Down (as in it works).
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Max-Violence wrote:Eh... Remove? Uh... all I see is Add, Insert, Del, Up, and Down.

Is 1024x768 not enough?
I checked and 1024x768 is enough. 800x600 should be too, but 640x480 could cause problems.
Oh, and I have a BUG TO REPORT!!! YAAAAAY!!!
Yay! well, then again, maybe not :oops:
I'm workin' with the Flame Normal.til (Tiles -> Generic tiles -> Generic Objects -> Fire -> Flame Normal.til), trying to make multiple fires with different animations (so I can have, say, a burning tree with 3 fire tiles "on" it, and not have all three fires look like they're burning in unison).
You can't really do that. At least not directly with a tile. The tile's resource, unlike the sprites, only have a "image sequence", where sprites have "list of sequences" which point to specific images in the sequence... (pointers more or less, if you know programming). Anyhow, you could probably fake it simply by placing the fire tile in the map editor properly instead of doing it within the tile. Furthermore, tile don't allow oeverlays (where sprites do, but only a single animation overlay is possible). Anyway, all in all, stick to making it in the map editor...
Anyway, when I click on the 14th sequence (er, the last one. The one labelled 14) and hit Down, the viewer crashes (the error message is like, "Redviewer caused an error in VBSomethingOrOtherM60.DLL, Redviewer will now close.")
Crap, I can't reproduce it :( I'll look at the code to make sure it doesn't try to assign that number to anything funk (I don't remember actually checking to see if you were already at the bottom of the list...), and update in a little while...

I need to figure a way to keep the sequence nember selected so you don't always have to scroll back the list and/or select the current item again when moving frames around...

Edit: Yeah, I'm quite sure that's the problem. When at the bottom, I move the tile down regardless of there being no tile to move "up"... thus triggering the but trying to move that inexistant tile before the tile we're trying to move down :P
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Wow.... That's great Red. I'm only interested in the Arcanum side of the program at the moment though :) Here, check my news page:
http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/news.htm

Is there anything that you want me to add to that news page? Anything I got horribly, horribly wrong? If so, just give me a yell and I can change it. Also, I made it a ".zip" file, as a lot of people don't seem to know what the hell a ".ace" file is or how to open it. Heh.

Here's a preview of the program in action.

You may not be able to save ".art" files, but you can still take screenshots of them :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Red

Post by Red »

Oops, just noticed the "have the 3 fires not burning in unison"... You're totally right, you can do that :)

As for you DU, no, nothing wrong with thepage though I'd include some comments about the missing files and the new .msi file I included a link to in this thread to install these files.

And I won't kill you about telling them to email me about problems :)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Whelp, I don't know where Export or even Remove are, so I can't do much with the program... maybe add menu commands in addition to buttons? From what I know of Visual Basic, it shouldn't be hard.

Sorry I'm such a doofus... :oops:

I don't see Remove or Export in DU's screenshot, either...

One more question: Since I lack Photoshop, is there some way I could make my own, simple .zar files using your viewer? When I say "simple," I mean the simple .zar's used for inventory items (guns, ammo, etc.). If it matters, I have PSP...

EDIT: I meant make my own .spr's for new items... so I can stop bugging JJ86 :mrgreen:

I think it's time I stop pretending I'm smart and work on my next campaign...
Last edited by Max-Violence on Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

MV, if you followed your list and hit the Clip button you should get another program that pops up called "Zar Clipboard". This has the export button on it.

Also Paint Shop Pro should still be able to export png files - right?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:you should get another program that pops up called "Zar Clipboard". This has the export button on it.
AHHHHHHHHHH, THERE it is! Thanks, dude! I was running the viewer maximized, so I never saw it pop up, as it was "under" the main window. I was clicking the Add in the sequence area... oops :-)

Unfortunately, I have a new problem. When I click Add (in the clipboard window), nothing happens.

EDIT: Well, I figured out why nothing happens when I click Add in the clipboard window... I had a .spr open instead of a .zar :mrgreen:

Y'see, I'm trying to make a tile version of the floorlamp.spr you made me, JJ86, and I dunno how to make a .spr into a .zar...

Max-Violence = doofus maximus
JJ86 wrote:Also Paint Shop Pro should still be able to export png files - right?
You mean save .png files? Yep, that's how I've been making the minimap renders for my maps.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Red

Post by Red »

Max-Violence wrote:Unfortunately, I have a new problem. When I click Add (in the clipboard window), nothing happens.

EDIT: Well, I figured out why nothing happens when I click Add in the clipboard window... I had a .spr open instead of a .zar :mrgreen:
Actually, the whole reason why I made that clipboar was to allow people to take images from other tiles and sprites... Albeit it's not implimented yet :P
Lord of Halifax
SDF!
SDF!

What we need...

Post by Lord of Halifax »

Red,

what we need is a program that allow modmakers to create their own items/characters and that modify the game after downloading the mod without anything to do for the player. Plug and Play. Is that possible ?
Red

Post by Red »

Um, mods are very "plug&play" already.
Store all the mod files in a parralel directory fot core (say Fallout Tactics/mymod), and run the game with the -path option (I think). It's defenetivly not my place to make that stuff work since it requires only 2 things: Copying the files in the directory; starting the game with the proper command line.

As for making items, Spray is there. Why copy Spray in my own editor when you already have it?
Because you want character editing? Ahaha, don't make me laugh. Prove to me you CAN use my app (by making nice tiles and possibly animated ones), and then MAYBE just MAYBE I'll go to the trouble of making a proper Sprite Editor.

As for "editing character sprites" (as opposed to creating new ones) that's about 99% pointless. Everything is already there, best you could do is change the sequences of the animations, and I don't see why you'd want to do that as the sequences are perfectly fine right now. You can't insert or override a single animation since you won't, in any way, match the quality of the original ones. The only real option is to make a new one from scratch.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

MV wrote
Y'see, I'm trying to make a tile version of the floorlamp.spr you made me, JJ86, and I dunno how to make a .spr into a .zar...
I can see if I still have the original graphic and convert it into a png for you. Then all you need to do is use the FOT editor to convert it into a zar file, open it in RedView and you are good to go.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Original graphic? You mean the .spr? Well, I have that, so if you need it and can't find it, lemme know and I'll send it to ya.

Red: I jus wanna make my own item .spr's and have a jpg/bmp/spr/ -> til ability, that's all.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

No, not the sprite - it can't be used to make a tile with. I should have the original gif or jpeg. I'll let you know when I get home.
Red

Post by Red »

I could/can make the clipboard able to import an image from a Sprite too. Just a little work on my part.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

That would be good, Red. It would be good to be able to make a column of burning APC's or tanks for example. They would take up less file space than as a sprite.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Red wrote:I could/can make the clipboard able to import an image from a Sprite too. Just a little work on my part.
If you do that, I'll find out where you live so JJ86 and I can give you a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig hug.

Or not... :mrgreen:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Our Host!