Fallout 3 plot

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Yeah, but we could just be under the assumption that the East Coast turned into a desert/wastland too. I mean, if a country is going to attack the US, the East Coast (DC) would probably be the first place to get hit. And if Fallout 3 is, in fact, going to take place as a sequal, and not a prequal or a middle child thing, then chances are that at least some sort of vegetation would have started to take root in the world again. Or not.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

It should take place in the middle of the US...Denver, even. :) Heh.

As for plot..Teatime's new vault dweller idea works for me.
brillo
Regular
Regular

Post by brillo »

Kahgan wrote:how about no main plot?
how about just starting of as anyone and do whatever you like, start a Decker-style buisniss, just walk around as a mysterius stranger Mad Max-style, start a raider clan, run around as a do-gooder, no big enimy end boss...??
I dunno, I'm just tossing around ideas... :drunk:
Sounds like Morrowind. This is my biggest worry. FO needs a real story line, not the aimless wandering with a bit of a main quest that made Morrowind feel so pointless.

Also, I'm gonna have to agree with King of Creation about the whole east coast thing. Not only is it probably what many folks at Bethesda are most familiar with, I really didn't like the whole desert wasteland thing and the east coast has got a ton of places that would naturally be incredibly cool in a FO game.
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

It would be a good idea to see life on the other side of the Great Wastes. OK, it would probably be very barren itself with nuclear weapons raining down on the major cities, but you would see a lot more of the ruined cities, experience life less as a desert traveller and more as a dweller of the burned out cities.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

brillo wrote:
Kahgan wrote:blah blah blah
Sounds like Morrowind.
gurghl, I never played morrowind :chew:
I'm just tired of running aroun' saving the world if you know what I mean...also if there's so many huge enimys that are planning on taking over the world and/or destroying humanity it's funny that humanity's not allready fucked... :flamed:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

It would be nice to have a non-standard plot, yes.
Maybe something focusing on your character rather than some world-threatening evil.
So maybe make it a personal quest. Though for god's sake, not hunting people who killed your family.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

If it's set as a sequal to FO2 then rather than having an evil monster/group trying to take over the world have something like; Sometime in the future, when the last of the technology starts to break down, a new illness starts to spread through the people of New Arroyo and the hero must track down a cure. Visiting lots of ruins of the old world and new communities along the way.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Whilst it would be difficult to execute without being extremely camp, it might be interesting to set it after Fallout 2, show that slowly people began to rebuild... and someone went and started another nuclear war (somehow), destroying the world <i>again</i>. Hmm, or maybe not.
J-Roc
SDF!
SDF!

Post by J-Roc »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Whilst it would be difficult to execute without being extremely camp, it might be interesting to set it after Fallout 2, show that slowly people began to rebuild... and someone went and started another nuclear war (somehow), destroying the world <i>again</i>. Hmm, or maybe not.
I think that would be too much.

I'd like to see a new fallout that carries over the playing styles of the first two into the age and story of Fallout Tactics. Why not have Brotherhood East and Brotherhood West fighting for supremacy, or perhaps be caught up in a sold war scenario in which you're a commoner born in some town.

You could start off as a city dweller rather than a vault dweller or a tribal and make your way up as you go along, performing tasks for the various different groups and ultimately help decide the fate between which side wins.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

:help: :help: Well Fallout 1 I am just saying not knowin for fact but Fallout 1 was set like up by Washinton, Oregon, and the top of California. Fallout 2 was set like the Middle and bottom of California and Nevada. (have no freakin goddamn clue where Fallout Tactic's takes place I am buying it on Ebay when I get a good price). Fallout 3 should in my words be set on this kind of track. Like it should be in Texas, Mexico, Oklahoma. And just for shit's and giggle's Fallout 4 should be in Florida, New Orleans, and Georgia. Mardi Gras ohhhhhhhhhh Riggghhhht :help: :help:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Holy burning school children, someone gag that munted chap. :drunk:
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

Quickly, before Bethesda catches wind of any of these ideas and act on them! D:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

imo the whole FO tactics thingy shoule be totally disregarded. tactics was well... not fitting. It should be cut from FO history, especially the tactics version of powah armor.

and as for the plot; I'd like to see a more cryptic plot, so that you dont know exactly what to do in the beginning, let it grow during the game. Perhaps letting the player wake up in the wasteland or with a healer x days after his caravan has been ambushed. They player isnt a tribal but starts in the wasteland anyways, disoriented, perhaps even suffering from a slight memory loss.
This could add to some interesting developments as the player enters towns and such where he may be recognized and trigger violence.
Though this may be a tad too planescapish....
But not knowing youself or your mission will encourage exploring the wasteland, backtracking discovering your path. And mebbe finally the reason why you were on that caravan (mebbe you were new settlers, about to found a new town, and now a rescue is in order from whoever ambushed the caravan. Then as they have been rescued, a town can be founded. And thus you have a HQ/stronghold which can yield new quests as well as revealing new map locations as travellers come there. and so on.....)
Any main plot I cant think of though.

done wrong this idea could turn the game reallyreally linear. but done right, it'd be rather fun. and lets not forget the shades of grey.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

Sovy Kurosei wrote:Quickly, before Bethesda catches wind of any of these ideas and act on them! D:

I just want to know one thing "WTF is your GodDamn Problem!!!!!!!!!!"

It was only a suggestion, Bethesda would never use my statement because from what I see all you want is another Sh**y TBS game that follows no classic structure that the good people of Interplay and Black Isle and all others involved in the creation of Fallout work so freaken hard to build!!! If it were my choice, I would have the guy's at bethesda use the original Fallout engine and coding and just add new situations. And also I not kidding around when I say I will not buy Fallout 3 if it's game requirements are over 900mhz 512 ram 64mb video memory and better be around 3 gigs in size.

But see what is to be expected from losers who shut down any suggestions I now am afraid for the future of Fallout.

How bout You?
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

I'll just quote some bits you said, no need to reply. Just to give you a chance to reflect.
Mad Max wrote:!!!!!!!!!!
Mad Max wrote:all you want is another Sh**y TBS game that follows no classic structure
Mad Max wrote:the good people of Interplay
Mad Max wrote: I would have the guy's at bethesda use the original Fallout engine and coding and just add new situations.
Mad Max wrote: I not kidding around when I say I will not buy Fallout 3 if it's game requirements are over 900mhz 512 ram 64mb video memory and better be around 3 gigs in size.
Mad Max wrote: I now am afraid for the future of Fallout.
Emphasis added by me.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

U sure are a F***ing Canadian
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

I hope u know it's jerks like you that make people like me an American Mad. You know what your not worth anymore 2 cents so this is probably my last reply before I get kicked out Well I got to say I had fun before this Canadian ruined it. Sarcastic spooner
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

uh... one word madame max.
coherency
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Mad Max wrote:U sure are a F***ing Canadian
I really don't like Canada.

Maybe I'm jealous of the drinking age.

Either way, I don't want Fallout set in Canada.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Sovy ! You utter bitch ! You chased Maxy Max Max Max off, it seems. HOW COULD YOU ROB US OF YET ANOTHER FUNNY ONE !?

I . . . I'll never forgive you !!1

Thanks Maxy Max Max Max, I worry for you, and all others like you. I do hope for the sake of life as we know it that your behaviour is conscious and deliberate. A vain hope.
Mismatch wrote:perhaps even suffering from a slight memory loss.
NO ! No more memory loss. I and I'd wager many others have had enough of amnesiac protagonists and memory loss as a plot device in general thanks. :drunk:
Our Host!