Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
elmoo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by elmoo »

Just wondering if extreme old age will have any bearings on the performance of my PC. I'm talking like 75 years old.

Can you just imagine what General Barnaky will be saying to Dagger Squad?

"You guys call that a successful mission? My initiate GRANDMA dancing around in a skintight Brahmin leather can kick Mutie ass better with her barehands!"
"When all that is solid melts into air, constipation will be but a misty memory"
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Age has no effects whatsoever.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Kashluk wrote:Age has no effects whatsoever.
Hmm what if I said "youth is wasted on the young" : )
elmoo wrote:Just wondering if extreme old age will have any bearings on the performance of my PC. I'm talking like 75 years old.

Can you just imagine what General Barnaky will be saying to Dagger Squad?

"You guys call that a successful mission? My initiate GRANDMA dancing around in a skintight Brahmin leather can kick Mutie ass better with her barehands!"
For humans you can only go up to 65 then the BOS throw a retirement party for your PC and the game finishes before you start. : ) : ) :)
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:For humans you can only go up to 65...
The limit of 65 for Age when designing recruits is rather annoying when you're dealing w/Ghouls, since they have supposedly all been around since "The Flame Deluge" and FoT is set 120 years after it. Manually inducing it is something of a bother. (Read: I often forget and see when playtesting that a Ghoul 'cruit is a mere 19...)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

OnTheBounce wrote:The limit of 65 for Age when designing recruits is rather annoying when you're dealing w/Ghouls, since they have supposedly all been around since "The Flame Deluge" and FoT is set 120 years after it.
I suppose that the Ghouls in FOT aren't proper Ghouls, as per the RPG history/locations, but rather just plain mutants (as opposed to Super Mutants). The BOS, when they moved into the area, started calling them Ghouls in a case of mistaken identity or for want of a new slang term.
OnTheBounce wrote:Manually inducing it is something of a bother. (Read: I often forget and see when playtesting that a Ghoul 'cruit is a mere 19...)
I often forget to change the age of the recruits, and when I do I can't make my mind up how old they will be, in my mind the older the recruit the more experience they should have. Hopefully you don't set the ages for the rest of the npc's, I know that the player won't see it but I unless I'm using one of the standard actors I still do it. :)
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

OnTheBounce wrote:The limit of 65 for Age when designing recruits is rather annoying when you're dealing w/Ghouls, since they have supposedly all been around since "The Flame Deluge" and FoT is set 120 years after it. Manually inducing it is something of a bother. (Read: I often forget and see when playtesting that a Ghoul 'cruit is a mere 19...)

OTB
But ghouls can reproduce, right?

I imagine it's not pretty, but still...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Requiem_for_a_Starfury wrote:I suppose that the Ghouls in FOT aren't proper Ghouls, as per the RPG history/locations, but rather just plain mutants (as opposed to Super Mutants). The BOS, when they moved into the area, started calling them Ghouls in a case of mistaken identity or for want of a new slang term.
I suppose that's as good an explanation as any. It would certainly account for some of the differences like the lack of a shambling gait. (That is, if you want a explanation beyond, "Ghouls would be hampered in MP CTB if they shambled along and since FoT has a MP focus...")
Requiem_for_a_Starfury wrote:I often forget to change the age of the recruits, and when I do I can't make my mind up how old they will be, in my mind the older the recruit the more experience they should have. Hopefully you don't set the ages for the rest of the npc's, I know that the player won't see it but I unless I'm using one of the standard actors I still do it. :)
Er...well, when I started editing I did set the age for any and all NPCs even though the player would never see it. I've since discontinued the practice, and the only reference to age is in my notes.

Like it or not, though, I think the age of a recruit is an important part of the character. Even though FoT doesn't offer any real opportunities to make age count it's certainly important in fleshing a 'cruit out.

When you mention that older 'cruits should be more experienced I'd agree generally, but I wouldn't use it as an absolute rule. For instance, you could have a 'cruit availabe early in the campaign who has little experience even though he/she is quite a bit older than the average 'cruit, simply because he/she has been in a reserve unit or something and is now bucking to "get in the shit" as they used to say in Viet Nam.
VasikkA wrote:But ghouls can reproduce, right?
No, Ghouls are sterile, just like their SM cousins. The only Ghouls who had children (e.g. Set) had them before the bombs were dropped and the children grew up as Ghouls (e.g. Typhon).

(If something has come to light that I'm unaware of, please let me know.)

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I think they should, but it's closer to FO if they're old and from the war era and we all went for that so far(those of us that played the RPG's that is...looks MV's side! :P )

Cheers,

Flamescreen
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

OnTheBounce wrote:No, Ghouls are sterile, just like their SM cousins. The only Ghouls who had children (e.g. Set) had them before the bombs were dropped and the children grew up as Ghouls (e.g. Typhon).

(If something has come to light that I'm unaware of, please let me know.)

OTB
Ok, I must've missed some holo-tape or mention in the FOB then. And it kinda makes sense, since ghouls were affected by FEV.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

VasikkA wrote:And it kinda makes sense, since ghouls were affected by FEV.
Wasn't everything? ;)

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Flamescreen wrote:...looks MV's side!
Hey, if I could find the games, I'd play 'em. Maybe. Or I'd just work on my FOT maps. Yeah, I think I'll stick to that one Image
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Max-Violence wrote:Hey, if I could find the games, I'd play 'em. Maybe. Or I'd just work on my FOT maps. Yeah, I think I'll stick to that one Image
You've not played the RPGs MV? Damn and I've been scared that it would be obvious that I've only recently found a copy of FO1 and had only completed it once. : )

I guess we're blessed here in the UK not only did we have the compilation pack Fallout Radioactive but both FO 1 & 2 have been re-released on a budget label.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:I guess we're blessed here in the UK not only did we have the compilation pack Fallout Radioactive but both FO 1 & 2 have been re-released on a budget label.
A dual jewel bargin bin release of FO1 and FO2 was released here in the states.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

OnTheBounce wrote:Wasn't everything? ;)

OTB
To some extent, but not all are sterile. :)
Our Host!