What makes a good game?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

READ TOPIC U GERD

A new fresh world that doesn't revolve around me
15%
Something original and slightly weird, like a fps rts set in someones anus
No votes
phat l3wt
15%
A good story
46%
Whatever the trend is at the time. It must be a good game!
8%
Other...
15%

Total votes: 13

Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Some of my most favorite games:

Tron
The Incredible Machine
Lemmings
Elite
Fallout 1
Quake 2
I-76

They don't all have the same appeal but I liked them all alot and could play them again and again.
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

I loved the addictive aspect of Bejeweled. Dopewars was pretty good as well, with such an entertaining setting.
Pastorius
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pastorius »

You're right, Guardian. Now that I read what I posted, I see that I was thinking specifically about adventure games or RPG's. I just remembered that I played Joust a lot way back then, even though I admitted it sucked. It was addictive and kept me entertained for a while, so I guess that a game, to be good, needs to provide you with some form of distraction and entertainment; no more, no less.
Although I still think that the "leave you wanting for more" factor is important, I suppose that's more a consequence of people liking a certain game more than a sign of quality per se. Just because a game is addictive doesn't mean is good.
Stealth Rabbit
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Stealth Rabbit »

Usually an entertaining concept (AVP2). But sometimes violence bcomes entertaining (SOF2). But other times, sex just does it.
Behold my ignorance and sloth, for I am AMERICAN!
<a href="mailto::cha0srf@aol.com" Subject= "SPAM ME!">MAIL ALL OF YOUR SPAM RIGHT HERE!</a>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Lasse wrote:
Kashluk wrote:The games that I play, that is. It includes strategy, rpg, fps and adventure games.
Strategy games and first person shootes don't need a storyline though. For example, did you find Doom's "you're the sole survivor and you must kill them all" story cunning, depressive and surprising? No, the game's fortes were something else - it's fast paced action and tormenting atmosphere.
Reading is a nice skill to own, don't you think:

Kashluk wrote:I've hated all Nintendo's Mario and Mario-clones since the 8bit Super Mario Bros. I played that one, because there was no competition around here. It was t h e g a m e, play it or play nuffin'. Same with doom, one of the few (and first) PC games I ever had. But as soon as I got better ones, I ditched it.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Concerning RPGs and Story Driven FPS, I find atmosphere importent. One of the sole reasons I enjoy Fo1 over Fo2 is because it feels more immersive, then Fo2's constant pop-culture references. The System Shock games are excellent examples of this, as I still can't play them without staying awake for a few hours at night.

With shoot 'em ups, I don't really know what I saw in them anymore. Apart from being rather sadictive and gore loving in my younger years when I played Doom, etc. I don't have a clue why I did play them. I reinstalled Doom 2 a few months back, and played it once.

Story is also importent, no matter what type of game it is (I don't play racing games, except Super Cars because it's an awesome game). I find I can't play many games without having some story to follow, even if it's a cliched boring story, I find no reason to play a game because it has pretty graphics.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Tetris.

That is all.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Stealth Rabbit
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Stealth Rabbit »

You all forget the beginning.

Pong.
Behold my ignorance and sloth, for I am AMERICAN!
<a href="mailto::cha0srf@aol.com" Subject= "SPAM ME!">MAIL ALL OF YOUR SPAM RIGHT HERE!</a>
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Pong may be the first video game, but it's nowhere near as good as Tetris.

RPG Codex
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Bah, you fools. Flashback beats them both.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Spazmo wrote:Pong may be the first video game, but it's nowhere near as good as Tetris.
I think Spacewar was before Pong, and then there was this tennis played on oscilloscope or something.

Doesn't matter, they all suck
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Lasse wrote:
Spazmo wrote:Pong may be the first video game, but it's nowhere near as good as Tetris.
I think Spacewar was before Pong, and then there was this tennis played on oscilloscope or something.

Doesn't matter, they all suck
Exactly. Tetris is just the ultimate game. I wish I were playing right now.

RPG Codex
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

[/quote]

Thats not true, take the warcraft series, it wasnt original(dune 2 came before) and people classify it as an exellent game(s).

Originality is a perk.[/quote]

yeah, but speaking of originality.... what was before dune 2...????

lol i couldnt resist.

i know what you mean, but still, arent you sick of the same type games being reproduced over and over again?
dont get me wrong... post apoc type games usually have that certain element that really grips you...(or maybe thats just me)
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

The original Dune was a peculiar game, a sort of hybrid between adventure and strategy that I don't think had much success.

RPG Codex
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

it didnt at all, but the original Command and Conquer was based on it.

it looks and acts teh very same way(a helluva lot slower and almost turn based). actually, i think its classed as abandonware now, so it should be free to download if anyone wants a look at it.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

You're still thinking of Dune II, which was arguably the first RTS. But Dune I was something else entirely.

RPG Codex
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Spazmo wrote:You're still thinking of Dune II, which was arguably the first RTS. But Dune I was something else entirely.
Just twigged it now, yeah i was mixing up dune 2 with dune 2000

ahh well, Thanks for setting me straight! heheheh
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Spazmo wrote:You're still thinking of Dune II, which was arguably the first RTS. But Dune I was something else entirely.
I remember that game.... Dune, that game freaked me out when I was little. At one stage of the game before the Duke dies, he asks to look closly at your eyes. It would automatically zoom the dukes head. My first game had a problem with him still being around and doing it, even after he was ment to be dead :P

And that mentat gave me a few nightmares as a little child too.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

avenger69ie wrote:
yeah, but speaking of originality.... what was before dune 2...????

lol i couldnt resist.
i know what you mean, but still, arent you sick of the same type games being reproduced over and over again?
dont get me wrong... post apoc type games usually have that certain element that really grips you...(or maybe thats just me)
Yes i am. Its why i usualy dont play the new games... Havent played w3 yet :D

Dune 1 was a wonderful game, i still own a copy... Hard to describe the exact type of game... You could call it a quest/strategy hybrid, but thats not very accurate because you didnt realy *control* units, recruiting the fremans and giving them more advanced guns was realy a minor detail in the game... And the spice shipments were a real bitch... I believe you can call it an original idea :)
Hello New Jersey
Our Host!