Currency

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

Bottlecaps?

Yes
48%
No
26%
How about a deep economic system involing soda cans, ring-pulls and bottle-caps?
26%

Total votes: 77

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

If they make a Fallout 3 it's probably gonna be much more futuristic and mankind pretty much took back the planet. Personally, I'd like to see a new Fallout that predates the original game. The only currency is bullets and food.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Prequels only tend to suck, because there's always something they forget to note and then they screw up the future. Like a quest to kill Harold's father or something like that :? That fucks the whole continuity-thingy.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

A Fallout sequel doesn't have to be 'too futuristic'. I seriously doubt the developers would want it that way either. Developed areas like San Fran, NCR can be... dealt with. If you can come up with a great idea for a prequel, then why not, but I'd much rather like the story to continue.

Prequel = no Master = no Mutants
Flink
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Flink »

I'm inclined to agree. Although it actually sounds like a cool idea, A prequel would probably mean a lot more that Black Isle could fuck up.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

OK, then have it take place in another country besides the US. We don't know anything about Europe, Asia, or any other continent as far as the Fallout universe is concerned. There's so much Black Isle could have done with the franchise.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I was always interested of Europe and Russia, but unfortunately Fallout ain't Fallout if it isn't situated in Da W3st C0asT.
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

Fallout Mexico? :roll:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Arrrribaa! That's just funky, gringo 8)

No, I meant somewhere from California to Washington.
Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Snake »

What about Fallout Australia?
- Steve Irwin special encounters aside
That would be the ultimate irony
The only problem with cross-country missions would be the travelling between them
Unless it can be done in a plausible way it has to remain static
:P
Last edited by Snake on Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Call me Snake"
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Snake wrote:What about Fallout Australia?
- Steve Irwin special encounters aside
That would be the ultimate irony
Only if you got to kill the irritating twit. Either that, or see a rabbit kick his ass.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Fallout Aus doesn't sound so bad :D Alas, Australia is the home of Mad Max => the real wasteland => Fallout's ancestor.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yeah, maybe the Master has fled to Australia. :lol:

Seriously, a Fallout located somewhere else than the West coast of USA just isn't a Fallout. All the vaults, muties, the BOS... everything gone. :(
Stealth Rabbit
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Stealth Rabbit »

Amazingly, this is what happened with America's first Constitution, titled "The Articles of Confederation." Every state was to have its own money, but they scraped that idea and went with the Constitution we all know and love. And, BTW, since the BOS would be able to kick anyone's ass (demonstrated in FO:T), I would think that they would force everyone to use Brotherhood Scrip.
Behold my ignorance and sloth, for I am AMERICAN!
<a href="mailto::cha0srf@aol.com" Subject= "SPAM ME!">MAIL ALL OF YOUR SPAM RIGHT HERE!</a>
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Stealth Rabbit wrote:Sorry about double posting, but if I try to delete one post, I delete the other.
Don't worry, I can happily remove your second post...
NachoMonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by NachoMonkey »

what about a pure trading system, scrap money completely, and make it so only trading is used, think about it, having cash in FO2 made the game incredibly inbalanced, you were able to get some 40,000+ near the end of the game, which is just plain stupid

whatever you can carry is what you have that has value

it makes STR look like an even better attribute to stick with in the FO world no ? :D
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

NachoMonkey wrote:what about a pure trading system, scrap money completely, and make it so only trading is used, think about it, having cash in FO2 made the game incredibly inbalanced, you were able to get some 40,000+ near the end of the game, which is just plain stupid

whatever you can carry is what you have that has value

it makes STR look like an even better attribute to stick with in the FO world no ? :D
Yeah a pure barter system, I can't imagine villages or even some of the smaller towns having a monetary system. It would serve packrats and kleptomanics like me right if we went to trade in all the goodies we had picked up only to be offered a brahmin or two in trade : )
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, money sure is easy to exploit in FO2... Like I always do :) It's fun to buy all the weapons, armor and ammunition you want when you're saldo shows 1.380.500 $ - thank God for inventing gambling. Even better, thank Him for inventing stealing, so I can take all the money back after I've done my bartering.
NachoMonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by NachoMonkey »

ahhh, so many bugs to exploit, so little time :D
NumberZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by NumberZero »

i just want to pitch in about BOS dollars.

They do not belong; In Fallout 1 the BOS distributed equipment based on rank. There was no currency exchange, as there shouldn't be, because it doesn't make any sense for technology zealots to trade with each other on a monitary basis. What would make more sense would be a "I'll give you... this peice of prewar tech for that laser gun" and even then, its only if you are an outsider.
hello, if your fallout idea starts with "Wouldn't it be cool", then i hate you, and i am very saddened by the fact that technology has not advanced to the point where you can reach out and touch other users, because i would strangle you.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

A pure bartering system would be better actually. That way stronger players get more money (more carry-weight) as I felt that diplomacy in fallout 2 was to easy.
Our Host!