New Easter Egg? (For me at least.)

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Flink
SDF!
SDF!

New Easter Egg? (For me at least.)

Post by Flink »

Being home for the holidays. I stood without my usual comp. So I fired up the Pentium I have standing in my old room and desided to play some Fallout.

Anyway, Everything is going ok. I'd just bought some flamethrower fuel from the gun runners and was on my way to check out the Cathedral when I came across a small building north-west of the Followers compound. I desided to check it out and was amazed that there was this mean lookin' guy in combat armor in there. Floating my cruiser over him I got the following discription of the guy: "You see a burly bounty hunter with a button that says: I'm Christopher and your meat!".. Hmmm... interesting.

After a conversation that did not lead anywhere. I desided to try and kill the guy. So I whipped up my flamethrower and let him have it. This is the neat part.
Instead of saying Christopher takes X points of damage, I got this message:

"Avellone takes 63 points of damage."

Christopher Avellone?!

Maybe I'm just ignorant. Everyone else has probably known about this for ages. Still I thought it might be cool to know if you didn't.

Btw. Does he just sitt there in his little shack? or is there a quest involved?

Thanks.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It's supposed to be a developer-reference. They're all some kind of programmers, designers or something. Check their names and then check the credits. You should find lots of "easter eggs" :wink:
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Christopher Avellone is none other then Chris Avellone, ie: FOB maintainer. I think he confirmed in his own FOB that this reference was of him - albeit it's hard to deny it :D.

The bounty hunters attack you on sight with too low karma.
Flink
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Flink »

I gathered as much. But I'd never seen this perticular referance before. Oh well.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yup, they named the bounty hunter after Chris Avellone. I noticed it in the latest game I played(about 6 months ago). It's confirmed in Fallout Bible #5.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I just always killed the annoying bastards, because they had ammo :roll:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

They'll seek you out and you'll get random encounters if your a child killer or low on karma.
Flink
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Flink »

childkiller? I don't think you can become one in Fallout1...
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

You can. I killed the Flower Child in the Hub and suddenly nobody likes me.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yup, been there - seen that!
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

jerman999 wrote:You can. I killed the Flower Child in the Hub and suddenly nobody likes me.
You have to make sure you don't buy a flower from her & pester her a bit. She gets upset & leaves the area. If you don't, she tends to go hostile & you end up shooting her or having a game where combat won't end.

Stupidest *Childkiller* staus I ever recieved was when trying to save some farmers in a random encounter. Pretty sure it was in FO1, can't guarantee it. Shot at a beastie & took out a kid. Ended up living with it for awhile until I realized how difficult it is to not become down & dirty when everyone hates you. Ended up going back to an OLD save & making up quite a bit of playtime to get back to where I was.

Now mind you, I'm not against playing an evil character but it wasn't in my plans at that time & didn't fit my drug addicted sniper. Man wasn't up for hostilities in his face & it's hard to talk to folk when they want to shoot you.<g>
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
Red

Post by Red »

Yeah, there's a random encounter where there's this generic druggy looking guy who's actually a child. Hella annoying.
Flink
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Flink »

Yeah, cuase I don't think the child NPC model exsists in FO1. (correct me if I'm wrong.) I've never seen it... Thats why I asumed that you couldn't become a childkiller in FO1.
Red

Post by Red »

As was mentioned in the thread, there is (are?) a chid (ren?) in the game. At least the flower child...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

What? I remember seeing a lot of kids running around Shady Sands.
I assume this screenie is from Shady Sands. :?:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Insane-Lark wrote:
jerman999 wrote:You can. I killed the Flower Child in the Hub and suddenly nobody likes me.
You have to make sure you don't buy a flower from her & pester her a bit. She gets upset & leaves the area. If you don't, she tends to go hostile & you end up shooting her or having a game where combat won't end.
Or you can just get a follower to kill the kid.
hvkasteren
SDF!
SDF!

Post by hvkasteren »

There are no children in fallout 1 uk version. Luckily there is a gore patch to fix that :)
Without evil there would be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes!
Stealth Rabbit
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Stealth Rabbit »

VasikkA wrote:What? I remember seeing a lot of kids running around Shady Sands.
I assume this screenie is from Shady Sands. :?:
Yes, that picture is from Shady Sands. Unless someone screwed up and its from Fallout 2 (which it can't be).
Behold my ignorance and sloth, for I am AMERICAN!
<a href="mailto::cha0srf@aol.com" Subject= "SPAM ME!">MAIL ALL OF YOUR SPAM RIGHT HERE!</a>
Flink
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Flink »

Hmm... Thats weird... This might mean that I have the UK version.. There are no kids in my copy of Fallout, at least I don't think so. Poop! oh well...
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

It's not so much the UK version but the European version or something like that if I remember correctly ....
Our Host!