Requests/Questions/Stuff

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I have The Sims and did import a few of its graphics to create sprites which would also work as tiles. Most notably a junked car that fits in the Fallout universe and also a jukebox. I believe the isometric perspective they use is the same as that used by FOT so you can use utilities to transfer graphics over.
Red

Post by Red »

Oooh, is the sims format documented? And is there a demo of the game so I can add support for it in me viewer :)
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Blimey, who'd have thought a game like the Sims would have gone down so well on a bulletin-board dedicated to a post-nuclear RPG? :P :lol:
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Red, there are so many Sims utilities your head will explode. I am not sure if there is a demo, but check this site for a few utilities: Sims Utilities. You may want to email the programmers to get details or source code.

Also if you feel you may want the game, I'm done with it and could mail it to you.
Red

Post by Red »

Well, unless you really want a Sim-> FO:T converter you really shouldn't send me that game :) Heck, I might even get hooked on it and spend too much time playing it to code the editor/viewer... :P
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, it is mildly interesting when you get the guy to start screwing everyone in the neighborhood and his wife gets really depressed.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I hate it when a house get's on fire actually. It gets to my nerves realising I messed up with my selections...

Wow, I didn't know these sprites where coming from that game. Btw, I don't think the fans made such good objects. I only found one collection in the net(when searching for sprite possibles) with original art. Most creators were very potent 3d Designers though.

It was sad to find the Transmogrifier didn't "do the trick" after all...
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I used a Sims utility that changed the objects to bmp or gif files (forget which). The one problem with the Sims objects when imported is that the palette is too bright and needs modifying to fit in with the dreary Fallout world.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

One simple think you could do is adjust Brightness-Contrast. Not much difference, but it is a difference. Fits the dim surroundings anyway better.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It looks like Odin at NMA is going to give us some room for a sprite/tile collection. I am going to try and coordinate it with him. He is also going to host my tutorials and we will get that page improved. I will even update the tutorials with some newer information.
Red

Post by Red »

Well, I talked to kreegle about it, and he's all for hosting such a thing, albeit he doesn't want to "take care of it".

And the problem is nor do I.

So if anyone's interested and has some HTML and PHP knowledge, they're welcome to the job right here...

PHP isn't a necessity but it'll ave you a lot of time in the long run.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Stevie D wrote:BTW, does anyone know what happened to the thread I opened? I'd left a couple more questions in there, but when I came back a few hours after posting in it, the whole thread appears to have disappeared.
It looks like the board screwed up, or I did. I answered your questions, then the board hiccuped and it double-posted my post. I went to delete my post (clicked on the correct button, tyvm) and then I couldn't find the topic anymore. I was hoping that it was just a board glitch, but it appears to be gone.

Repost your Qs and I'll be happy to answer them again. (I remember it had something to do w/neutral NPCs all on one index...)

If it was my fault, please accept my humble apologies.

OTB
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Hot Key shortcuts are a bit few and far between. I would've loved shortcuts for both of those, but there's none that I know of.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Damn, sorry about that one, Stevie D, it seems I'm fucking up every time I address you now. I meant to quote you, but instead edited your post. :oops:

Time for bed, methinks...

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

OnTheBounce wrote:Damn, sorry about that one, Stevie D, it seems I'm fucking up every time I address you now. I meant to quote you, but instead edited your post. :oops:

Time for bed, methinks...

OTB
LOL, not to worry, OTB. Shit happens. :)

One of my crosses to bear is that I'm a mod on another forum, and I've been known to accidentally nuke the odd post here and there. ;)

I'm pretty sure most the stuff in the Stevie D... thread was n00b material that I've learned and is second-nature to me now anyway.

The player index question went something like this:

Since the number of player indeces we have to play around with is limited, I was thinking of using JJ86's method of having a generic 'neutral' index (for citizens; neutral, but important characters, etc.) and a generic 'aggressive' index into which I could dump any neutral characters that get pissed off with the PC (rather than have the entire neutral index attack the PC because of one, isolated event.)

It's a great idea, and I can see how to use it if the player manages to fulfill certain pre-set conditions (like clean out a gambler beyond a certain point, after which the gambler gets pissed off). But what if a trigger-happy PC wades in guns blazing? Would it be possible to run a trigger like:

IF Player attacks Character_Magee THEN switch Character Magee to 'Aggressive Index' AND return 'Neutal Index' to neutral sympathy towards 'Player' Index?

Thanks,

Steve :)

Psst, QUOTE, not EDIT, OTB ;) ;) :D
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:It looks like Odin at NMA is going to give us some room for a sprite/tile collection. I am going to try and coordinate it with him. He is also going to host my tutorials and we will get that page improved. I will even update the tutorials with some newer information.
Red wrote:Well, I talked to kreegle about it, and he's all for hosting such a thing, albeit he doesn't want to "take care of it".
I was wondering; have you guys concidered to propose a "joint venture" of shorts? With that I mean a mutual page for DAC and NMA with this stuff that you could access from both sites to give users easier time finding?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Here's a question for yas: What the hell is Tools -> Re-Sort Tiles for? I don't think I've ever used the thing.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

I think it's a redundant feature (maybe) from back when tile sorting was kinda wacky.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Soooo... we shouldn't bother with it, then? OK by me: I've never bothered with it in the first place :D
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I was wondering: I was considering a future campaign that would require 80-100 recruits to work the way I want it. Can I have so many recruits, or I'm stuck with 63(wasn't it)?
Our Host!