References

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
panserbjorne
SDF!
SDF!
Location: North Wales. Hey-it's a fun place. When it's not raining. Which isn't very often.

References

Post by panserbjorne »

Anybody else got the reference to Bernard Cornwall's 'Sharpe' series of books in Redding? (of course if you have, just ignore this, or alternitively call me stupid. I'm just trying to show off to the forum here anyway)
"If you want to see what God thinks of money, just look at all the people He gave it to."
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Can you spare some more information about the reference?

Who/What gave it?

Where?
panserbjorne
SDF!
SDF!
Location: North Wales. Hey-it's a fun place. When it's not raining. Which isn't very often.

Post by panserbjorne »

OK then (perks up as chance to inpart wisdom arrives), 3rd job from the sherrif, who I can't remember the name of right now, with the miner who slashed up the whore. The Miner is a tall man with a mis-shapen belly, who loves his mum very much and says he can't be hanged. May even be called Obadiah or Hakeswill. The reference is to Sgt Obadiah Hakeswill, a nasty chap who is Richard Sharpe's arch-enemy(up to the point where he gets killed, and is replaced in arch-enemyness by a dastardly french spy).
He likes cutting up women, survived a hanging and has some special attation to his mother, taking to hiding a stolen picture of her in his shako and then talking to it.
"If you want to see what God thinks of money, just look at all the people He gave it to."
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

panserbjorne wrote:OK then (perks up as chance to inpart wisdom arrives), 3rd job from the sherrif, who I can't remember the name of right now, with the miner who slashed up the whore. The Miner is a tall man with a mis-shapen belly, who loves his mum very much and says he can't be hanged. May even be called Obadiah or Hakeswill. The reference is to Sgt Obadiah Hakeswill, a nasty chap who is Richard Sharpe's arch-enemy(up to the point where he gets killed, and is replaced in arch-enemyness by a dastardly french spy).
He likes cutting up women, survived a hanging and has some special attation to his mother, taking to hiding a stolen picture of her in his shako and then talking to it.
Interesting, I didn't know that.
Mr. Zealot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr. Zealot »

Hey, what the heck is an SDF anyway?
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Mr. Zealot wrote:Hey, what the heck is an SDF anyway?
SDF = Some Dumb Fuck, I'm not sure though.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

I think the designer for Redding smoked a little more than just the regular pipe :)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

NMA used to have a full list of Fallout 2 easter eggs, that was listed as one of them. There were well over 200(close to 300) in Fallout 2.
------------------
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i love those little things, its like comic releif for such a post apocolyptic horrible future... lol
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

NMA still holds many of Fallout's 2 easter eggs.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

A similar list of Fallout easter eggs would be nice. Not that there's too many of them...
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Hmm, i didn't see the pipe references on that list. Anyone else catch them? In Redding, all those pipe and tobacco names that were given to various NPCs there?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:NMA used to have a full list of Fallout 2 easter eggs, that was listed as one of them. There were well over 200(close to 300) in Fallout 2.
There were a shit-load on that list, but it still wasn't complete. For instance there was no mention of Lenny's combat taunt, "In order to understand life you must fuck death...in the gallbladder," which was a reference to/rip-off of Flesh for Frankenstein (AKA Andy Warhol's Frankenstein) (1973). There's so many references/Easter Eggs/rip-offs in that game that I don't think any one person could get even half of them.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Our Host!