Weapon Ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doyle wrote:I think the bullet slowing down was talking about Deringer pistols rather than the mini-rocket launchers. The only reason Deringers would be more effective at close range is because they would simply be too inaccurate. However, I don't think Deringers fit the retro feel of the game anyway.
Why not? Deringers were extremely popular during the 20s through 40s.
------------------
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

Eeehhh, Saint, I hate to disagree with you, but this is retro of a certain age (fifties) and when I think fifties, I think Red Ryder BB gun, not really "deringer".
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Deringers became popular around the mid-1800s so the most commonly associated image is that of the flamboyant Riverboat gambler. If the entire atmosphere of FO3 were that of Redding, it wouldn't be an issue. However, in my mind at least, Deringers don't really have much of a place in a retrotech future.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

maybe a deringer laser, that turned out to be (like the origional) extremely weak.

but someone only mentions it, or its on a holotape
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

If you want to go by the way the original deringer was made, the .223 pistol is a deringer since it was crafted from a rifle. However, a deringer is really just a small, concealable weapon that uses a powerful round. They were popular through the 1940s because of their ability to be concealed. Then, of course, we had WW2.
------------------
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

It wouldn't have be a Deranger, maybejust some home made equivilent. Everybody loves home made guns!

As for the rockets, what if you jused a small caliber bullet to ignite the rocket. That way the bullet cart would get it out of the barrel going decently fast, then the rocket would accelerate it or at least matain it's speed to make for longer ranges.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Umm... You're not serious, are you?
Mr. Zealot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr. Zealot »

They've done that since the thirty's i think. In the Great War part 2 both sides had grenades that you stuck on the end of the barrel, and when you fired a round, off it went. There was a small scene in Saving Private Ryan that had one of those, during the beach landing.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I'm not sure why but I don't like the all idea behind explosive weapons.

I didn't care much for the rocket launcher in Fallout.

The mini-rocket idea was nice because it wasn't supposed to do splash damage.

The Fallout TB system, for some reason, doesn't work so well with those weapons in my opinion, anyway.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Mr. Zealot wrote:They've done that since the thirty's i think. In the Great War part 2 both sides had grenades that you stuck on the end of the barrel, and when you fired a round, off it went. There was a small scene in Saving Private Ryan that had one of those, during the beach landing.
I don't believe I've ever seen one of those. Got a link?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Rifle grenades have been around since at least 1913, actually. Here are a couple of links to take a look at:

Converting a US handgrenade into a rifle grenade

US Rifle Grenade Launchers of WWII

French Rifle Grenade of 1915

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

lol, that would work easyly with any weapon in the FO universe, because it would be just another type of ammo, HP, AP, Grenade.

it would explode, cool
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Just for the sake of ridiculousness, I would like to be able to salvage a plasma cannon or heavy minigun from a turret, or at least ammo.

Programmable missile: Rocket launcher load. It can make one or more turns at predetermined distances during flight, allowing it to shoot around corners.

Plasma rocket: RL rocket with a plasma warhead for even more damage.

Tactical Nuclear rocket: On second thought, nevermind, except maybe to finish off the Bad Guy.

Super-Ripper: An improved Ripper, the Ripper's equivalent of the Mega Power Fist. It has a bigger motor and tungsten carbide teeth or something.

Spiked Louisville Slugger: The classic ball bat with nails in it.

+5 Sword of Flaming Spastic Death... oh, sorry, wrong forum.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Blarg wrote:Super-Ripper: An improved Ripper, the Ripper's equivalent of the Mega Power Fist. It has a bigger motor and tungsten carbide teeth or something.
You know, it never occured to me that there's no improved version of the Ripper. I wonder why that is...
Blarg wrote:+5 Sword of Flaming Spastic Death... oh, sorry, wrong forum.
You're going to Hell for that bit. :mrgreen:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

In my mind the explosiveness of the rocket would be less than that in a grenade. It would hurt because it wouldn't go off until it hit you.
Esse_r
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Esse_r »

To balance early energy weapons, include laser pistols with damaged lenses and such. They do less damage, have shorter range and uses expensive ammo, but still powerful early in the game.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I'm hoping most weapons will not work properly like dud rockets, smoke grenades that 'leak', gun with no handles etc.
:chew:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Damaged/low quality weapons in the beginning is a good idea, but you could also be able to repair them. Makes the repair skill much more usable.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Good idea.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

or if you use an AP rocket on someone with like no armor on, it will go through them, and hit the next hardest thing. lol, i gotta see that.

or if you launch a rocket the animation could show it getting stuck in the enemy, then blowwing him to bits. or just getting stuck, and not going off, lol dud

you should have more problems with guns that are prone to jamming.
like how the Bozar said it jammed, but i never had that happen in like 10 run throughs of FO2
Our Host!