Random encounter idea

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Random encounter idea

Post by Megatron »

I liked the first parts in the fallout games where everyone had little armour and and one or two had pistols or shotguns. Mabye to keep this going as a random encounter you could have road-side cafes and stuff, with a bunch of rednecks inside, a guy with a shotgun and one or two other people. And if you piss them off you can get into a bar-fight without fucking up a town.

Or mabye instead of a road-side cafe type thing you could have a gas-station, one or two houses or something.

Good or bad idea?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Road-side cafe's and settlements are OK. Bar fights even better. :D
But gas stations, I dunno, cars are fusion-powered instead of gasoline.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

VasikkA wrote:But gas stations, I dunno, cars are fusion-powered instead of gasoline.
It wouldn't be a working gas station. It could easily be some derelict used by a local group of ne'er-do-wells. Of course, you could simply substitute "Fueling" for "Gas".

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

They could be roadside power(or hydrogen for fusion) stations then.
Perhaps you could find dead energy or fusion cells and use functional stations to recharge them, or the stations could be used to fully recharge your vehicle. You might need to repair something to restore power, don't critically fail...

Wasn't there a crazy old lady in a gas station encounter in FOT? A variant of that would work well. "You look like a nice young person. Could you be a dearie and clean my basement? My dear husband Steve passed away and I'm too old to go up and down those stairs like I used to. I'll bake you some cookies if you do." If you agree, you have to fight some critters and repair an unstable section of wall; but there is some liquor, a large number of "small dusty boxes of some sort" in an old freezer, ammo, tools, and some other pre-War goodies. She gives you your Luck or Charisma in cookies, which give 1 AP temporarily like the ones in FO2.

If you talk to her long enough and nicely enough, she mentions in passing that her husband built a bomb shelter(with all sorts of equipment in it) in the back yard, and lets slip enough information for you to find the hidden entrance...
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I've never gotten that encounter, but it sounds like a prime example of how encounters should be done. Not just the usual 'a pack of radscorpions and some raiders', that becomes boring after a while.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

There are still quite a number of possible locations of a ruined world that FO's didn't cover. Derelict Gas Stations and Cafeterias are such. I don't think they thought in the 50's a Nuclear war would destroy everything but big cities. I would expect that thieves/raiders would have similar "bases of operations" .I don't think I want to see them entirely nomadic(not all of them at least).
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yeah, where are all the encounters in derelict cities, roads, industrial areas, trailer parks etc.. FOT had derelict cities, but Fallout 1 and 2 didn't have many encounters that refered to pre-war civilization. I'd like to know more of the era before the great war, interesting as it is.
Mr. Zealot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr. Zealot »

Yeah, seeing a bunch of survivalists holed up in a Diner looking out for commies would be sure to give off those warm fuzzies.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

That would be cool.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

VasikkA wrote: But gas stations, I dunno, cars are fusion-powered instead of gasoline.
Not really. I'd brush up on your Fallout 1 history. Also, check the intro commercial for the car.
James
Respected
Respected

Post by James »

There are still quite a number of possible locations of a ruined world that FO's didn't cover. Derelict Gas Stations and Cafeterias are such. I don't think they thought in the 50's a Nuclear war would destroy everything but big cities. I would expect that thieves/raiders would have similar "bases of operations" .I don't think I want to see them entirely nomadic(not all of them at least).
It would be nice to have a diner. Very '50s esq. It could even be restored to working order and serving bramin steaks or whatever.

Jpeg stolen from http://www.dinercity.com
"Ancient Greece was ahead of its time, and before our time. They had no TV, but they had lots of philosophers.
I, personally, would not want to sit all evening watching a philosopher."
MF
Respected
Respected

Post by MF »

Rosh, gas would be outrageously expensive and the corvega would either be a non-functional collector's item or the gas would have to be ordered seperately (private gas orders).

If not, I can think of only two possible scenarios for gas stations :
Gas stations would either be dead because of the lack of gas or the owners would have gotten filthy rich due to the shortage converting them to fusion stations of sorts or having gas in small quantities as a very rare and luxurious commodity.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

True, MF, and the gas would also be worthless at that time.

In addition, check out the special encounter with the car salesman, I think it is. Lots of good info there.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

Gas stations would either be dead because of the lack of gas or the owners would have gotten filthy rich due to the shortage converting them to fusion stations of sorts or having gas in small quantities as a very rare and luxurious commodity.

No Gas in other countries was rare but in the U.S. I believe it was quite plentiful. this is because the United States controlled the last deposit of oil on the planet. Oil was the reason the war started because China believed the U.S. sabotaged their attempts at getting the oil. If I Remember corectly the Oil deposit was huge.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Not exactly plentiful. USA suffered of severe oil shortage like rest of the world, that's the reason they annexed canada and I doubt not because of fuel for cars but to keep the oil-dependant economy/industry somewhat running. This makes gasoline-driven cars totally useless(and insanely expensive) which is why I think fusion cars were the only cars that were functional at that time. Fusion cars weren't exactly cheap and common so that is one reason why Fallout universe lacks cars. Yes, even NCR no matter what FOB says.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

I always thought that they annexed Canada to act as a buffer from china when they invaded Alaska. Also there was verry little oil in the north. The last oil deposit on earth was in the pacific ocean about 100 miles off the coast of San Fransisco. the U.S got to the oil first but probably sabotaged the Chinese to get it. This deposit was verry large so I doubt that the U.S was hurting for oil.
Raymondo2000
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Raymondo2000 »

In fallout 2 you blow that oil deposit up at the end so there will be lack of oil but fallout 3 cud be in the past like when the VD was around and you cud run in to him.
I Wanna join a clan! I have a ok chr, good for taking the hits,I can make web pages but just to lazy to, thats all :>
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Raymondo2000 wrote:In fallout 2 you blow that oil deposit up at the end so there will be lack of oil but fallout 3 cud be in the past like when the VD was around and you cud run in to him.

Wouldn't it be kind of pointless to make Fallout 3 happen at the excact same timeline as Fallout 1?
AltraWave7
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Set the record strait...

Post by AltraWave7 »

Ok...the US didn't annex Canada until after china began the attack on the US. All oil was being used for the military, prices were extreemly high and never droped back down. The Fusion cars were never mass produced and there were only one or two Fusion stations built, if any.

There could be gas stations, boarded up and out of buisness signs, because of the loss of costomers left all over, or stations that were converted into dwellings, etc.

If anyone wants to ispute anyhing i said above then please feel free, but at least check the FO Bible first...that is were i got al this info...

----------------
Dad can I swim in the gas tanker?
----------------
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

The FO bible has already managed to achieve a reputation for inaccuracy.
Our Host!