Weapon Ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

I want the ability to try to use almost anything as a melee or thrown weapon: bricks, rebar, 2x4's, bottles of beer or Nuka-Cola or whatever, severed heads or limbs, chains, fenceposts, shovels, chunks of buildings, pipes, furniture, typewriters, children, gun butts, appliances, bones, small animals, glass shards, etc., etc.

I want to be able to fill empty hypos with whatever I want, and then inject enemies. Glowing green stuff, air, or that mysterious substance the game euphemistically refers to as "goo" all come to mind.
DeepOmega wrote:Perhaps, then, you should be stuck with a pistol for a lot longer. No shotguns for a while. It'll make the better weapons that much more awesome to find (and emphasize the struggle for survival).
I like this idea. Nothing better that the hunting rifle or regular shotgun for a long while as well. Scarcer ammo too, so that you basically have to shoot the enemies with guns, then whip out your tote bag with a brick in it for the rest. Just finding a decent HTH weapon could be a good mini-quest.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Blarg wrote:I want the ability to try to use almost anything as a melee or thrown weapon: bricks, rebar, 2x4's, bottles of beer or Nuka-Cola or whatever, severed heads or limbs, chains, fenceposts, shovels, chunks of buildings, pipes, furniture, typewriters, children, gun butts, appliances, bones, small animals, glass shards, etc., etc.
That's a nice list but a rather useless feature if you ask me. It's not a hack n' slash game, stick to a sawed shotgun instead.
DeepOmega wrote:Perhaps, then, you should be stuck with a pistol for a lot longer. No shotguns for a while. It'll make the better weapons that much more awesome to find (and emphasize the struggle for survival).
This feature I like in Fallout. It felt so good to get a new shiny armor or a new better weapon to use. No Plasma guns in the beginning!
Mr. Zealot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr. Zealot »

Think of the feeling you would get though. Imagine beating a raider senseless with a large piece of Tupperware. That, my friend, would be the ultimate rush...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

VasikkA wrote:This feature I like in Fallout. It felt so good to get a new shiny armor or a new better weapon to use. No Plasma guns in the beginning!
That part of Fallout 1 was fucked up IMO. If you complete the Glow-quest early in the game (like I did) you can go save Tandi with a Power Armor :?

And I found a dozen of Glock Plasma Pistols when I was still wearing a leather jacket... Oh, well.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yes, but that's almost like getting the APA right in the beginning of Fallout 2. Don't do that. :wink:

And those plasma pistols don't have much use in the beginning anyway, if you haven't initially tagged energy weapons, which I assume you don't.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

The best part of the game IMO is running round with a leather jacket and sawn off fighting similiarily armed enemys. Not using a minigun and emptying 100 rounds into a power armoured guard.
:chew:
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

That's what I like as well. Sometimes I will restart Fallout and just play until the Hub or so for that "I'm barely armed, barely armored and barely competent, and everyone wants to kill me" feeling. It becomes almost anticlimactic when you get HPA, the TPR, and 150% energy weapons; but you're meat later in the game if you don't upgrade your equipment. Pyro's idea of playig the whole game with a hacked character with only a leather jacket and a pistol is becoming appealing...
Last edited by Blarg on Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Hmm, might work but a high intelligence, speech, science and lots of stimpacks(that's not hard to achieve) is required if you want to finish the oil rig without battles. You'd have to avoid some of the tougher battles, just try kill those wanamingos with a leather jacket and a pistol and we'll see how it goes.
Alternatively, there's Unarmed... best part of the game IMO, have a good ol' fistfight and do a decent damage too!
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Also I think you should use weapons coming from the immediate environment, like in a real situation, like bricks or cemented rocks...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Wouldn't that be rather useless if you're carrying a shotgun?
I bet you carry a weapon 99% of the time.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Why should you? I think weapons like shotguns should be scarce in the start of game. But I don't limit the weapons to simple rocks and stuff, I just can't think of something right now. If I do I will put it in one of my campaigns probably.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, I accept throwing chairs and tables in a bar fight. Of course, you'd need a high strength too. :)
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

chairs aint heavy. but you're forgetting. all tables, chairs and other funiture is all bolted to the floor in the fallout universe. nothing moves! you cant even sit in them cause the tables are too close :lol: :roll:
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Blacken
Respected
Respected

Post by Blacken »

Just gimme a chainsaw and the ability to see pieces fly off.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

VasikkA wrote:Well, I accept throwing chairs and tables in a bar fight. Of course, you'd need a high strength too. :)
What about rocks? Haven't you ever noticed that the early levels in both FO games had rocks for you to pick up and throw? I've killed many a rat in Klamath using these just to save that oh-so precious 10mm ammo for Geckos and such.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

because geckos are SO much more dangerous :P

They had the description with granite inc on them? i always found that odd.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FireWolf wrote:chairs aint heavy. but you're forgetting. all tables, chairs and other funiture is all bolted to the floor in the fallout universe. nothing moves! you cant even sit in them cause the tables are too close :lol: :roll:
True and I think it's funny no one is sitting in the chairs if you go to a bar. They aren't even playing poker around the tables. All chairs and tables are empty, what kind of freakos are living in the fallout universe? :lol:
What about rocks? Haven't you ever noticed that the early levels in both FO games had rocks for you to pick up and throw? I've killed many a rat in Klamath using these just to save that oh-so precious 10mm ammo for Geckos and such.
Well, I used a spear or knife to kill them rats. Beats the rocks. :)
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

I either punched or kicked the buggers. with bloody mess perk they exploaded which was kewl... in a sick kinda way.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

VasikkA wrote: True and I think it's funny no one is sitting in the chairs if you go to a bar. They aren't even playing poker around the tables. All chairs and tables are empty, what kind of freakos are living in the fallout universe? :lol:
Mutated ones, of course.
Mr. Zealot
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr. Zealot »

I think the ability to customize weapons should be fleshed out a lot more, such as mounting a Tac-Light on your M-16 to give you an accuracy bonus at night, or maybe a laser pointer on your .223 pistol (to make it all the more badass). I'm not talking about rechambering weapons and such, but stuff you could strap on your boomstick with a roll of Duct-Tape and some super-glue.
Our Host!