Best bits of Fallout Tactics

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Best bits of Fallout Tactics

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

I noticed on <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/" target="_blank">NMA</a> that gaming connoisseur and talented developer, Chris Avellone, has <a href="http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums/sh ... adid=49270" target="_blank">posted a topic</a> at the <a href="http://feedback.blackisle.com" target="_blank">BIS forums</a> asking you if there was anything you liked about Fallout Tactics. See:<blockquote><em>There's been a lot of discussion on why people didn't like Fallout: Tactics. I was just wondering if there was anything people liked about Fallout: Tactics, either mechanics-wise, critter-wise, look-wise, item-wise or whatever. <br><br>For example, and this may sound dumb, but I like the fact they included giant <b>cockroaches</b>. I like the way their rats look. I like the fact they took some of the goofiness out of Geckoes. I like some of their Perks. I like the fact there are racial-specific perks and traits. I like the difficulty gauges for various skills when attempting a task. I like some of the traps mechanics. Afterburner gum is cool. I like the fact they give you the option to play as a brahmin/dog/robot/deathclaw in the MP game. The MP option and some of the editor options seem cool. <br><br>Anyway, stuff like that. Just curious if anyone had anything else. </em></blockquote>I, personally, loved the beautiful, amazing artwork created by people like <a href="http://www.ec3d.com" target="_blank">Rachel and Damian - AKA EyeCandy</a>. That, and the multiplayer demo. Anyway, go and <a href="http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums/sh ... adid=49270" target="_blank">have your say.</a> Who know? Maybe the curious MCA is up to something, and your contribution could help things along...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

They implemented the Fallouty look quite well, IMO. Though some maps/levels were too hitech some were really nice. Rusty vehicles, junk, garbage and a dirty wasteland look was there. Like the Nuka-Cola factory in one map was nice. Whoever did the maps did a great job although the missions were too similar and some were boring.

Artwork definitely deserves recognition.
mbrown02@alum.mit.edu

Fallout Tactics

Post by mbrown02@alum.mit.edu »

I actually liked Fallout Tactics a lot. It's no fallout, and no RPG, but I thought it was a lot of fun regardless. The art was great, and I liked the strategy element as well.
Grey_Ghost
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Grey_Ghost »

I have to agree that much of the artwork was top notch. Unfortunately FoT:BoS was a game and not a artwork slideshow. :roll:

I don't hate FoT:BoS for it's bugs, I went into it well knowing there would be plenty to go around. I don't hate the fact that it is still buggy, I knew from other Interplay published games that they have a short patch life. I hated it because it raped the Fallout Universe as "I" know it. Notice I said "I", because it is definately open to individual interpretation.

To me here is how you get the "Fallout" in FoT:Bos. First take everything that makes up the Fallout Universe and put it on paper. Now run those papers through a shredder. Take half the scraps and throw those away. Then take whats left and tape it all back together at random and you have Fallout Tactics.

I blame everyone who was envolved with FoT for what it became, no matter how small their part. Because everyone who worked on it (Yes Red) in some way made it what it is today.

Grey_Ghost

I'm not bitter, I swear. :wink:
Grifman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Grifman »

Well, Grey Ghost, while your language is quit figurative, it's not very specific or very helpful. Nor does it answer his question either which asked for what you liked, not what you didn't :). That said . . .

I like the artwork. The increased resolution was great, animations were good. I like the vehicles, that was a cool concept, but I would have liked using them on mission also, rather than just as transportation through the Wasteland.

In fact, I wish BIS would use this engine with dialogue trees added - I'd much more prefer this than a 3d engine. Seems to me with much of the artwork and engine done, it would be rather simple to add what ever artwork might further be needed and add the ability to have dialogue trees for discussions with NPCs. And less expensive than starting with a new engine/artwork from scratch.

I also liked the variety in enemies. As soon as I thought I was getting bored with raiders, there came the Beastlord, then the Mutants, etc. Good variety.

I liked having the option of CTB/RT or TB. I like TB, but my brother, who was not a big Fallout fan, like CTB, and is now interested in the series. Nice to have options.

Race specific abilities and perks were nice also as noted. The overview maps before each mission were nice also - helpful in orienting yourself.

I also liked the underground missions - Fallout's version of a dungeon crawl. I always liked places like "The Glow" or "Sierra Army Base" because they were usually challenging - and full of goodies. I like abandoned vault missions :)

I liked all the weapons, including the REAL WORLD ones :) Variety is cool. And since this was more of a combat strategy game, more weapons were necessary than in a plain RPG. Nice choices available.

That's it for now, hope this is helpful.

Grifman
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Chris Avellone wrote: I like the fact they took some of the goofiness out of Geckoes.
Someone want to tell the boy that Geckos aren't even in FOT?
------------------
Bulldog
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bulldog »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: Someone want to tell the boy that Geckos aren't even in FOT?

We can only pray that he means he's glad they removed them.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Ya, i also like the Real World Weapons but the texture should have been more rough and used. I though the game should have been RT or TB
Grey_Ghost
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Grey_Ghost »

Well, Grifman, if I wanted to answer his question I would have gone to the BIS forums where he posted it. :wink:

CTB was ok, but it didn't account for movement. Tactics TB mode was difficult to use, at least for me.
In fact, I wish BIS would use this engine with dialogue trees added - I'd much more prefer this than a 3d engine.
Maybe that Lionheart thing of using 2D backgrounds and converting 3D models into 2D images will look good in action.
I liked all the weapons, including the REAL WORLD ones Variety is cool. And since this was more of a combat strategy game, more weapons were necessary than in a plain RPG. Nice choices available.
I honestly thought it was quite stupid. Some of these "new" weapons were renamed versions of the old ones to sound more like guns today. Even Fallout 1&2 had this, but most of the time you might not have noticed it. For example the 10mm SMG from Fallout was a H&K MP9, which you only see when looking at the detailed info on the gun. I'm not real hip on the changes they did to all the ammo either.

I honestly don't see why people still want to see more of todays real world weapons in Fallout. Fallout is from the perspective of how the people of the 50's saw the future.
Race specific abilities and perks were nice also as noted.
The problem with them in Tactics is they were either broken or overpowered. I also didn't like the changes they made to some of the old ones, like One Hander.

Grey_Ghost
Still not bitter, really.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: Someone want to tell the boy that Geckos aren't even in FOT?
Lol, the poor guy must have meant Komodo dragons. :P
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Grey_Ghost wrote:I also didn't like the changes they made to some of the old ones, like One Hander.
I was soured on the FoT-style One Hander trait in my first game, and it took me quite some time to get over it. Basically, I'd just finished FO2 w/a character who had One Hander and a ST of 4. I duplicated her and started playing FoT and very quickly found out that the ST of 4 was a major handicap since she couldn't simply use a weapon w/a penalty to her accuracy. So I turned my back on the trait as well. They really should have renamed that trait since it raises your Small Guns, Unarmed and Throwing at a penalty to Big Guns. It's actually a handy trait, but - like I said - they really should have renamed it.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

the one hander trait becomes really useful when you're a deathclaw (unarmed and throwing goes up, deathclaws are never going to use guns)

the ambient sounds in the game were very nice
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I made the excat same thread a long time ago in the fallout tactics forum in v13.

If there is an archive somewhere it has some info there.
Blacken
Respected
Respected

Post by Blacken »

I liked the fact that it ended.
Our Host!